| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: the vegan winter clothes thread
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:19 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Magpie-Grin wrote:
I finally got my Merrell jacket, now that it is nice and warm again. I'm not very excited, though. It was stuffed into a box, so it is all wrinkly and it has an awful amount of lint on it. The hem on the bottom seems all weird and wavy too, maybe that will come out with a pressing.
I hope once it is cleaned up I will be happy.

yeah I do find that mine wrinkles up pretty easily. I'm thinking of giving it a wash and a cool iron this weekend and see how that goes. I'm only wearing this coat for work, as I wanted something a bit dressier, and I've never been 100% happy with "dressy" vegan coats. But on the whole I do really like this coat, it looks nice and is really warm.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:15 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I. love.my. Merrell coat.

I got the Jacqueline, not the Haven like most of the people in this thread, and I also ordered it directly from Merrell. It's the first winter coat in my entire life that didn't have sleeves that were too short (they're perfect!) and theres a ton of awesome pockets, and it's so awesome and great. It was forking cold as shiitake tonight and I was good and happy.

And it looks great.

It was packed well, wasn't wrinkly. I'm so happy. It's the best winter coat I've ever had.

Formerly rad.badger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:55 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I ordered mine from La Cordee, a Canadian site that didn't charge shipping. In my experience, not many Canadian sites don't charge for shipping, or even provide the products in Canada. I did try the jacket on in a store, and I really liked it, but it was too tight across my chest, so I need to go up a size and unfortunately the store didn't have it, and couldn't bring it in.
Hopefully, once I clean it up and cool iron it, I'll be pleased.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:46 am 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

frozenveggies wrote:
I got the Jacqueline, not the Haven like most of the people in this thread...

that's a really cute coat! if i wasn't super-duper-thrilled with the hemp hoodlamb, i would be all about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:53 pm 
WELFARIST!

Okay, I love the hemp stuff I own and damn it, I already bought a new coat this year but I really like the hemp hoodlamb ones and I could use a black or neutral color bomber jacket to keep me warm for casual outings.

https://store.hempest.com/catalog/produ ... hp?pid=693

I really like the hemp hoodlamb shorter black jacket (I love the long one, but I already have a long winterish black coat that goes to the mid thigh). Anyone think the more bomber-jacket style would cover to just below the asparagus? that's the length I'd want, but not as long as the mid-thigh coverage. (the hemp hoodland woman's black for $259.00 is the one I'm thinking about).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:04 pm 
ugh

seitanicverses wrote:
Okay, I love the hemp stuff I own and damn it, I already bought a new coat this year but I really like the hemp hoodlamb ones and I could use a black or neutral color bomber jacket to keep me warm for casual outings.

https://store.hempest.com/catalog/produ ... hp?pid=693

I really like the hemp hoodlamb shorter black jacket (I love the long one, but I already have a long winterish black coat that goes to the mid thigh). Anyone think the more bomber-jacket style would cover to just below the asparagus? that's the length I'd want, but not as long as the mid-thigh coverage. (the hemp hoodland woman's black for $259.00 is the one I'm thinking about).

I didn't try that one on, but looking at the picture, I think so? Maybe a tad shorter.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

b.vicious wrote:
I didn't try that one on, but looking at the picture, I think so? Maybe a tad shorter.

Ohhh, I didn't see the different view pictures. That's pretty much the length I was hoping for, too. Hmmmm...I'm soooo tempted.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:18 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

calcuhater wrote:
frozenveggies wrote:
I got the Jacqueline, not the Haven like most of the people in this thread...

that's a really cute coat! if i wasn't super-duper-thrilled with the hemp hoodlamb, i would be all about it.

A-greed! I really wanted that coat, but I still a bit skint after Christmas.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:27 pm 
WELFARIST!

Oh, I love this Merrell Jacket too:
http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product ... mensions=0

Except, I prefer that it have a hood. It's very fitted and cute and stylish though. I think this is the same Merrell website that you guys are talking about above. I see some of the style names (Jacqueline, Haven--nice stuff!) for their coats are the same.

STOP, I want so much STUFF now and I don't usually!!!! There's also a really cool blue hoodie at hemp hoodlamb that I'm now eyeing--in addition to the black hooded bomber. Pandora's box of bottomless shopping has now opened to me! gah!

Post subject: warm, waterproof vegan winter boots!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:57 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Just picked these up, in black -- Totes Rosie boots. Cheap, very warm, waterproof, 100% man-made materials according to the tag on the inside. I wear an 8, but these seem to run a bit (maybe a half-size) large. Use "BDAY" as the coupon code for 20% off at Shoebuy.com.

I've lived in southeastern Wisconsin since I was born, but these are my first pair of bonafide winter boots! Thinking about snagging Totes Staride boots after my tax return comes in as well. Cute snowflakes!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:54 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Okay, so these aren't exactly "winter" pants, but damn it these are cute and I needed to post these somewhere... And everyone wears pants in the winter, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:04 pm 
Hip Goiter

CNA wrote:
And everyone wears pants in the winter, right?

Negatory.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:18 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

dr. apricot is the reason i have a pair of bogs. they are so awesome. my feet are easily the warmest part of my body, now.

here's an outstanding question: what about gloves? i cycle a lot and my fingers are always freezing. if bogs made gloves, i'd be in 7th heaven. so far, i'm stuck putting thin gloves inside of mittens.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:04 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

RandiJM wrote:
CNA wrote:

Negatory.

Skirt power. They make it easy to layer tights or leggings underneath.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:33 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I'm a large (read: fat) guy, and I lucked out with JC Pennys this past November--pleather jackets in my size (3XL) for about $30. They were on sale, and I also had a coupon. Something to remember, if there are any larger guys looking still.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:35 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

resurrecting this thread to say that the following things have made this winter possible so far for me:

-those damn sweatshoppy cuddle duds shirts and tights. i got them at a thrift shop though, so i don't feel bad. holy warm.
-getting a pair of girls' footless fleece lined tights, cutting them, and using the legs as wrist warmers. i wear a pair every day and it makes an amazing difference. cut the crotch out of the leftover part and you basically have a neck gaiter or one of those buff hairband things.

what are you using to keep warm this year?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:07 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Last week it got cold enough to bust out my trusty insulated trousers for the season. Other than that my strategy is: never stand still while outside.

I'm looking for new cardigans, though, since I noticed that the sleeves on mine are very worn. Mostly I have been wearing my polar fleece jacket that I got on sale at a random sports shop a few years ago. Did I mention I hate shopping?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:22 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Someone, I think my old housemate, left a pair of boxer shorts here. I haven't seen him for years so I washed them and have been wearing them over knickers but under jeans for extra warmth round my hips, as they give me grief when it gets colder. Thinking of getting some jockey shorts as they'll be more snug.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:54 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Adah wrote:
RandiJM wrote:
CNA wrote:

Negatory.

Skirt power. They make it easy to layer tights or leggings underneath.

word. I've worn pants like three times in the past month. all about tall thigh highs with skirts. pants are uncomfy

anyone know where I could get a non-wool//non-felt larger brimmed hat? like either a fedora style or western looking/hippie style?
I'm so stumped. I've only seen a nice one for like $100 and I can't spend that much on a hat because I lose things.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:34 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i have been wearing two pairs of pants lately. forgot how much i enjoy wearing two pairs of pants.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:33 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I just bought this jacket in a local store, Arcteryx 40% off (though still pricey even with the discount!). I am still looking for a warm "puffy" jacket - but I find they're all down! So discouraging.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:54 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Cimanim wrote:
I just bought this jacket in a local store, Arcteryx 40% off (though still pricey even with the discount!). I am still looking for a warm "puffy" jacket - but I find they're all down! So discouraging.

Try patagonia - I buy all my winter coats from them because they have a pretty good selection of warm, non-down coats (they're expensive, but they do have good sales and you can get really good prices on amazon sometimes). The vosque parka is new and looks amazing, though super expensive. I've been really happy with my low sky parka (except that it doesn't have a hood) and with my powder bowl jacket. They're both good down to single digits (as cold as it gets here) with a fleece on underneath. The lydia jacket is pretty and feels like wearing a cloud, but it's not warm enough for me on the days I would want a long puffy coat. I also used to have a rubicon rider jacket and loved it - super warm and water resistant (it lasted through about 6 years of hard use, and then lost its waterproofing).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9