| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tired of getting armpit rash :(
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

catchy subject line, eh?!

anyway, i've been transitioning to using plant-based & cruelty free household and health & beauty products.

my hubby & i are both having problems with deodorant. he is allergic to anti-perspirants and i have really sensitive skin. i think previously hubby was using right guard and i was dove powder scent -- both in stick form.

we've tried 2 different plant-based kinds, and both of us got a red welty rash (not itchy or anything, just not pretty) under our armpits that discontinued when we switched back our old deordants.

does anyone have any specific brand name suggestions of another deordorant for us to try? prefer unscented or very mild scented deordorants.

also, since i had a reaction to the kiss my face deordodant, i'm nervous to try their facial moisturizer and it is just about time for me to buy new face moisturizer and i want to buy plant-based cruelty free.

Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal Ingredients: (spray and roll-on)
Aqua (Purified Water), Natural Mineral Salts (Potassium Alum), Zanthan Gum, Phytosphingosine, Chamomile Extract (Anthemis Nobilis Flower), and Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis Extract).

kiss my face sport deodorant (stick) ingredients:
Propylene Glycol, Aqua, Sodium Stearate, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel), Zinc Ricinoleate, Steareth -100, Polyglyceryl-3 Caprate, Glyceryl Stearate, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit Seed) Extract, Sucrose Cocoate, Glycerin, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Coriandrum Sativum (Coriander) Seed Extract, Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Leaf Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Leaf Extract, Sodium Bicarbonate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Silica, Parfum (Natural Fragrance)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Post subject: Re: tired of getting armpit rash :(
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:00 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

if it were me i would try just baking soda, powder, put on with a pouf (someone here was talking about using that). i was in the health food store recently looking at deodorant and it all seems to have the same crepe that the mainstream deodorant does. just from the cheapo side (if i am paying $7 for deodorant it better be different and better somehow), it makes me grumpy, and i don't even have any allergies.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:02 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I feel you, I get rashes from tons of deodorants and soap. even washing the dishes wrecks my hands with too much soap, haha

I've started using http://natures-gate.com/Shop/item?Categ ... t=45155550 which has been both effective and non-rashy so far. normally I'd get something fairly generically tea tree based (as that works super well for me!), but couldn't find anything that worked as well here

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Have you tried the salt crystal deodorants? I've used them before, and they work really well to keep you unscented, although they're not an anti-perspirant. The JASON deodorants made me super itchy, so I couldn't use those, but the salt ones are totally okay.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:46 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I get serious itchy armpit rash from pretty much any deodorant (even the mild ones, I dunno) except for the stupid hippy armpit crystals, which somehow work without making me want to claw my own armpits out.

I think it's the Naturally Fresh crystal you mention above, but not a roll-on or spray-- the actual crystal in the form of a twist-up stick deodorant thingy, except without aloe vera. You run water on it and rub it around in your pits. It doesn't have any perfume or any of that crepe so it doesn't give you any other scent, but it seems to keep my own armpits from reeking after one of C&S's signature sun-drenched ridge-top switchback death hikes so it must be doing something, right?

I've had the same one for years, too, so it seems to be a pretty good value. Or I'm doing something wrong, I dunno. It works for me, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh I mistyped, I actually tried all 3 versions of the Natural Fresh, because I'm crazy that way, I did try the one where you wet the crystal thing down with water, same yucky looking armpit welts :(

I'll look for Nature's Gate next time I'm Earth Fare but I think some of the ingredients are similar to what were in the other 2 I tried. And I'll make some time to look up some DIY baking soda/powder stuff online.

thanks for all the info y'all!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:02 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

That really sucks that you're having this problem!
A friend of mine who has really sensitive skin uses baking soda, but finds that mixing it 50/50 with cornstarch is better for her very sensitive skin, so potentially try that? She said straight baking soda was a bit rough for her.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:40 pm 
Nailed to the V

I was totally happy with both of these recipes:

http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_c ... eodor.html

http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_c ... world.html

...until I stopped shaving my pits for awhile. Creams + hair = yeesh.

Then I switched to Crystal Essence Lavender and White Tea. That worked great for me, but the Crystal Essence Unscented didn't work well.

HOWEVER! I haven't done any research to see if using baking soda or deo crystal stuff is actually any better for a person than conventional deodorants.

Edited for: terrible spelling.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:51 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

There's a huge thread of suggestions here:http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=19458

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:12 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I make my own and it literally takes 20 seconds to make and works great.

Equal parts:
Baking soda (for odor control)
Corn starch (to prevent itching and irritation)
Coconut oil (for scent and the right texture)

Put equal parts in a coffee mug, whip it up with a fork and put it in a little jar.

Yes, you could get some fancy pretty smelling essential oils to add but I'm a simple dude and this works fine for me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:53 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thanks, to clarify, i've never gotten armpit rash from conventional deordants/anti perspirants. just the plant-based ones i've been trying lately.

thanks for the new suggestions!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i came back to revisit this post, i'm actually using the kiss my face deodorant now and loving it. initially, yes, i definitely got a non-itchy red welty armpit rash from using it the first few times. but i stopped using it and my old deordant for a few days, switched back to dove for about a week(that's about all that was left in the stick anyway), and then switched back to kiss my face and started using it just every couple of days, then every other day, and now nearly everyday. i barely have any irritation now. this deodorant is seriously awesome and works way better than dove. admittedly i've been slow transitioning to using cruelty-free healthy & beauty products (i don't wear make-up so at least that helps! and almost everything in the kitchen is 7th generation) so i'm really happy that i'm using plant-based/cruelty free deodorant now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:16 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm glad you found something bookwormbethie.

I'm going to try Tynamite's recipe when my current stick runs out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:49 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

The only one that have not given me problems is LaVanillia for about 6 months now! I have super sensitive pits.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:21 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made deodorant from bread soda, cornstarch, coconut oil, evening primrose oil and a few drops of lavender oil. Works great. I get sensitive pits and could only ever use stick deodorant before but with the homemade I have no reactions unless I put too much on. I've also started using it on my feet since vegan shoes are making them a bit stinky.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:40 pm 
Tofu Pup

I have tried every vegan deodorant under the sun, even the cremes and whatnot from Etsy, VeganCuts, you name it. They either irritated my skin really badly or wore off after about an hour, leaving me in stink-town.

Then came LaVanila. I will admit it is a bit pricey (about $12 pre tax) but this is the only stuff that works for me so it is definitely worth it. The scents are lovely too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thanks for the double recommendation about LaVanillia, I don't think I've seen this brand at Earth Fare though...... will keep my eyes out for it.....