| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:41 am 
Offline
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 10877
Location: Illinoize
I thought it would be good to put this link in its own post and sticky it because the most common question we get in any thread is 'where can I find x kind of product' or 'is y company vegan', etc. This list denotes which companies are 100% vegan, which have parent companies that test, which ones definitely test on animals, and which ones we still don't know about.

If you are new to being vegan, want to switch over more of your products, whatever, this is a good place to start!

http://www.logicalharmony.net/cruelty-f ... brand-list

_________________
"The Tree is His Penis"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:03 pm 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:56 pm
Posts: 42
Location: San Francisco, CA
Thank you so much for sharing my list here! I really appreciate the support. If you guys feel any brands are missing, or there are any you are curious about, please don't hesitate to email me.

I check with each brand on the list before listing them, and then again several times throughout the year and ask really specific and detailed questions that pertain to all processes of production, the brand itself, a parent company, 3rd party companies, affiliate companies and testing as required by regional and local laws.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:43 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6517
Location: Boston, MA
You rock, logicalharmony! Thank you for all of your hard work!!

ETA: And thanks MBM for starting the thread. Even if a person isn't new to this, it can get confusing.

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:20 am 
Offline
Ninja Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 4652
Location: Surrey, UK
Awesome list, thanks for posting and to LH for creating!

_________________
I sure do love pumpkins, Cotton.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:31 am 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:50 pm
Posts: 3315
Location: The Bene
This is really helpful! I'm confused, though, about Aveda being included on the "brands to avoid" list, when they're listed as a company that doesn't test on both the global action network and caring consumer links further down the page. I know their parent company tests, but shouldn't they then be on the cruelty free list with a note like other companies with parent companies that test?

E-mailing logicalharmony and will report back.

_________________
Ain't no guarantees in life, and nothing that comes out of my vagina can change that. - Erika Soyf*cker

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:51 am 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6517
Location: Boston, MA
lepelaar wrote:
This is really helpful! I'm confused, though, about Aveda being included on the "brands to avoid" list, when they're listed as a company that doesn't test on both the global action network and caring consumer links further down the page. I know their parent company tests, but shouldn't they then be on the cruelty free list with a note like other companies with parent companies that test?

E-mailing logicalharmony and will report back.


I've noticed a couple of brands like that. I saw on the comments that the Global Action Network list is out of date though? Maybe that's it. And it's based on PeTA's list anyway?

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:09 am 
Offline
Ninja Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 4652
Location: Surrey, UK
Aveda do test, it's in their policy wording - it's the sames as all the EL brands' wording.

_________________
I sure do love pumpkins, Cotton.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:01 am 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:50 pm
Posts: 3315
Location: The Bene
baps wrote:
Aveda do test, it's in their policy wording - it's the sames as all the EL brands' wording.


I'm finding the information about this online really confusing. Their wording is indeed the boilerplate policy wording "We don't test on animals except where required by law" but then I'm seeing people from Aveda claiming that they absolutely don't test on animals and are categorically not selling in China and thus are not required to test. They're also still on Peta's "not testing" list.

So confusing. :?

I'm going to have to search for another hair product that works for me. Maybe see if I can source DevaCurl here. Erf.

_________________
Ain't no guarantees in life, and nothing that comes out of my vagina can change that. - Erika Soyf*cker

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:36 am 
Offline
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 10877
Location: Illinoize
We could write a group memoir called Cruelty-Free Beauty: How I Learned To Punch Myself In The Face Repeatedly

One brand we seem to have problems with is China Glaze - i've heard multiple people (all of whom are friends so I assume they're just getting this info from one another) say that they're owned by Coty. But it doesn't take a lot of effort to find out that they're owned by American International Industries, and both companies say they don't test (and I don't even think AII actually *makes* anything themselves so they don't have anything to test on anyway).

_________________
"The Tree is His Penis"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:21 pm 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:56 pm
Posts: 42
Location: San Francisco, CA
lepelaar wrote:
This is really helpful! I'm confused, though, about Aveda being included on the "brands to avoid" list, when they're listed as a company that doesn't test on both the global action network and caring consumer links further down the page. I know their parent company tests, but shouldn't they then be on the cruelty free list with a note like other companies with parent companies that test?

E-mailing logicalharmony and will report back.


Hey! I emailed you back and figured that I would paste my response here as well.

This is a great question and Aveda is brand that's tricky. As you can see from my blog post about it (http://www.logicalharmony.net/aveda-is- ... elty-free/) and their FAQ (http://www.aveda.com/cms/customer_service/faq.tmpl#faq2) the brand does state that they do test on animals "as required by law". So the brand itself has started testing on animals.

I'm not sure how often the other lists are updated or how active they are in their outreach, so this may be why Aveda is still listed there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:24 pm 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:56 pm
Posts: 42
Location: San Francisco, CA
lepelaar wrote:
baps wrote:
Aveda do test, it's in their policy wording - it's the sames as all the EL brands' wording.


I'm finding the information about this online really confusing. Their wording is indeed the boilerplate policy wording "We don't test on animals except where required by law" but then I'm seeing people from Aveda claiming that they absolutely don't test on animals and are categorically not selling in China and thus are not required to test. They're also still on Peta's "not testing" list.

So confusing. :?

I'm going to have to search for another hair product that works for me. Maybe see if I can source DevaCurl here. Erf.


I think it's confusing on purpose, to be honest. They aren't yet selling in China (though reps have told me there are plans) but the products are produced there. So it could be due to that. Or, due to the REACH laws in the EU some brands had to update their stance to "as required by law" to comply with those. It could be either one in their case. A lot of employees claim that they are still cruelty free. This could be due to cruelty free not being a regulated term (brands who test as required by law can claim to be cruelty free) or misinformation within the company. I always go by any official statement the brand releases as those usually go through marketing and legal teams and are most likely to be accurate.

With PETA's list, I'm not sure how often it's update and how often they check with brands. My impression is that the let brands update them unless they get a lot of emails about a brand. I could be wrong though. They may also have different qualifications than I do about listing a brand as cruelty free.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:29 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:50 pm
Posts: 3315
Location: The Bene
Thanks for your quick reply, logicalharmony!

I'm bummed about Aveda. I guess it's back to the drawing board with looking for hair care that I like.

_________________
Ain't no guarantees in life, and nothing that comes out of my vagina can change that. - Erika Soyf*cker

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:15 am 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy

Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:46 am
Posts: 45
This is awesome. I actually just wandered into this section of the forum planning on asking how to start figuring this out - I'm new to this and still transitioning my diet but I seriously had no idea how to start with non-food products other than the obvious things like leather.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:06 am 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6517
Location: Boston, MA
Bagelyo wrote:
This is awesome. I actually just wandered into this section of the forum planning on asking how to start figuring this out - I'm new to this and still transitioning my diet but I seriously had no idea how to start with non-food products other than the obvious things like leather.


Many wishes of luck and patience. I don't mean to scare you, but this was the hardest part for me. Thank goodness for the PPK's research! Along with logicalharmony's website, I highly recommend the mascara and general makeup threads. There are loads of options at every price point.

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:34 am 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8938
Location: Maryland/DC area
I thought Aveda doesn't test but their parent company (Estee Lauder) does. Same with Origins and a few other brands.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:59 pm 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:56 pm
Posts: 42
Location: San Francisco, CA
ndpittman wrote:
Bagelyo wrote:
This is awesome. I actually just wandered into this section of the forum planning on asking how to start figuring this out - I'm new to this and still transitioning my diet but I seriously had no idea how to start with non-food products other than the obvious things like leather.


Many wishes of luck and patience. I don't mean to scare you, but this was the hardest part for me. Thank goodness for the PPK's research! Along with logicalharmony's website, I highly recommend the mascara and general makeup threads. There are loads of options at every price point.


It can definitely be a frustrating experience. It was the hardest part for me as well. Just find the resources that you feel you can trust and ask lots of questions. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:00 pm 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:56 pm
Posts: 42
Location: San Francisco, CA
lepelaar wrote:
Thanks for your quick reply, logicalharmony!

I'm bummed about Aveda. I guess it's back to the drawing board with looking for hair care that I like.


My two favorites are Giovanni (not all items are vegan though) and DermOrganic. Yes to Carrots has a lot of vegan options, too. It's always a bummer when a staple brand of yours starts testing and you have to try new items. But look on the bright side - it's an excuse to go shopping!!! ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:02 pm 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:56 pm
Posts: 42
Location: San Francisco, CA
linanil wrote:
I thought Aveda doesn't test but their parent company (Estee Lauder) does. Same with Origins and a few other brands.


Unfortunately, the brands are headed into the Chinese market and have changed their published stance on animal testing. These brands used to be cruelty free, but I can't support them as such when their websites and PR say they do test whn required by law.

Aveda told me that they aren't sold there yet, but changed their stance because they are headed in that direction. :-/ Estee Lauder is shifting all their brands into markets where testing is required by law. If they aren't there at this time, they are working on getting them there in the future.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:18 pm 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8938
Location: Maryland/DC area
logicalharmony wrote:
linanil wrote:
I thought Aveda doesn't test but their parent company (Estee Lauder) does. Same with Origins and a few other brands.


Unfortunately, the brands are headed into the Chinese market and have changed their published stance on animal testing. These brands used to be cruelty free, but I can't support them as such when their websites and PR say they do test whn required by law.

Aveda told me that they aren't sold there yet, but changed their stance because they are headed in that direction. :-/ Estee Lauder is shifting all their brands into markets where testing is required by law. If they aren't there at this time, they are working on getting them there in the future.


Yeah, I was aware of China. I know many on these boards won't buy Aveda due to just being owned by Estée Lauder which makes sense.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:48 pm 
Offline
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 10877
Location: Illinoize
Bagelyo wrote:
This is awesome. I actually just wandered into this section of the forum planning on asking how to start figuring this out - I'm new to this and still transitioning my diet but I seriously had no idea how to start with non-food products other than the obvious things like leather.


Honestly, if you're not super attached to your pre-vegan products it's not that hard. I think the worst time a lot of us have had is that we were really comfy with our CF products and then the China thing happened so we had to re-find products all over again (thanks, Urban Decay).

Another tip is to make sure you still read your labels even if someone tells you something is vegan. I bought two non-vegan products last week because I didn't double check myself and I still feel like a total knob.

_________________
"The Tree is His Penis"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:22 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:16 pm
Posts: 691
Location: Calgary, AB
I didn't see Kevin Murphy on the list - I think some of his products are vegan?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:46 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6517
Location: Boston, MA
I just saw that she has boscia on the to avoid list, but their FAQ says no testing or animal ingredients...

http://www.boscia.com/newsite/faq.php

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:36 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6517
Location: Boston, MA
Ugh. Just saw an update on Logical Harmony that Boscia is selling in China. Whatever, Boscia, I do what I want.

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:47 pm 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:56 pm
Posts: 42
Location: San Francisco, CA
ndpittman wrote:
I just saw that she has boscia on the to avoid list, but their FAQ says no testing or animal ingredients...

http://www.boscia.com/newsite/faq.php


ndpittman wrote:
Ugh. Just saw an update on Logical Harmony that Boscia is selling in China. Whatever, Boscia, I do what I want.


A perfect example of why, no matter what certifications the brand has or what their FAQ says, I always email them. I apprecaite that they were so honest and up front about their change in the email I received.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cruelty Free/Vegan Brand List
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:48 pm 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:56 pm
Posts: 42
Location: San Francisco, CA
Robynn wrote:
I didn't see Kevin Murphy on the list - I think some of his products are vegan?


I list brands as I become aware of them and check in, so feel free to comment anytime with brands that you are curious about. I'll reach out to Kevin Murphy right now! :) Thanks for the tip!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer