| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Real leather?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:04 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

So I was browsing belts with my boyfriend as I desperately needed one. I came across some nice studded belts, and lo and behold they had "Real Leather" printed on them. I asked the shopkeeper if they had any not made with leather and he said they weren't real leather.... even though it was printed right on them! He said that companies do that so that people would buy them, even though they're fake. False advertising much? Apparently not...

Anyway, I wasn't convinced and wanted to research his claims before buying it, but apparently my boyfriend was convinced and he bought it when I was busy elsewhere and couldn't object >.<

So my question is, is this true? Can things marked as "Real Leather" actually be fake or was this shopkeeper, as I suspect, just trying to make a sale by saying what we wanted to hear?

Post subject: Re: Real leather?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:07 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

that sounds...shady as hell regardless of the truth. I'd just take my money with clearer ethics honestly

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:20 am 
Impressive boner

You should be able to tell by how the item smells. Faux leather doesn't really smell of anything whereas leather smells of the tanning chemicals. Granted that in a shop selling other leather items you might find it tricky to tell the difference against the background smell.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:57 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

For some reason I'm terrible at distinguishing the smell of real and fake leather. But I'm mainly wondering if fake leather is/can be marketed as real leather? It just seems like false advertising to me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:14 am 
Chard Martyr

It might be that some sketchy companies do that, but there might be non sketchy companies that mark real leather when it actually is leather, so you wouldn't ever know. I kind of doubt that belts marked real leather are always fake.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:16 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Well it's certainly sketchy and I would't be hot to buy it even if I knew it was fake, due to said sketchyness. To my knowledge however, aren't all leather products marked "genuine leather" and have that hide symbol? Is that some rule that you have to put that on leather goods? So maybe this fake-real leather business isn't entirely un-true.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:09 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

maybe it was PU/bicast leather. not technically genuine leather, but still not vegan.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:40 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Given that you can get belts which definitely don't contain leather, why would you want to take a gamble? Also, your National Consumer Agency might be interested, as you can't sell something that isn't what it claims to be on the label, it's just not on.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:23 am 
Tofu Pup

don't recall where I read this - probably wikipedia or something - but it is why I try to only buy belts and shoes that are clearly labeled Vegan.

the label "genuine leather" can be used to describe even the synthetics as long as they contain some leather fibers - like bonded or bycast leathers common in furniture and shoes.

"real leather" is generally used to describe full-grain products which typically need to be more durable - like belts, strapping, leashes and harnesses, etc.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]