| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Entry Level DSLR?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:36 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I'm wanting to get into photography (I took a class in high school but that was a loooong time ago) and so am looking to get an entry-level DSLR for my upcoming birthday. Wondering if anyone has recommendations for specific cameras (under $500, the cheaper the better!), or things to look for and/or avoid.

Thanks!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

Post subject: Re: Entry Level DSLR?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:11 pm 
Saggy Butt

i pretty much only have experience with canons (they were what our school had as loaners - a few rebels and a 5d and a 7d which i was always paranoid i'd break and have to pay the school 10 grand - and - i bought a 60d after i graduated)

from what i remember, interface wise and not looking at the technical specs, the rebel is a solid camera but if you're shooting full manual, you kinda have to futz around with a few buttons (i think the same dial controls shutter speed and aperture and you have to press other buttons to change settings - if anyone has one, correct me if i'm wrong) and when you go up to the higher end models, the controls for aperture and shutter speed change so that your thumb controls aperture with a dial on the back and index controls shutter speed with a dial on the top, so it's a bit more intuitive. then when you go from mid-range to super-high end the control to switch between like, video, manual, aperture priority is better designed.

i'd recommend going somewhere where you can touch/hold the cameras/play around with all the dials and see what feels right to you. i went to henry's a few times before i decided on a camera, then waited until the one i wanted came on sale.

this is kinda craigslist horror story, but a friend of mine bought a DSLR off craigslist, and i suspect it had been dropped and all the sensor cells weren't aligned properly anymore - but we couldn't tell until we had taken pictures and uploaded them onto a computer and the images were choppy - i'm not really sure how to watch out for things like that if you go the used route, unless you buy through a store with a return policy.

i'm happy with my camera and use it tonnes, but i almost wish i had bought a less expensive body, so i could have more lenses instead.

hope this is somewhat helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:42 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

postnothing wrote:
from what i remember, interface wise and not looking at the technical specs, the rebel is a solid camera but if you're shooting full manual, you kinda have to futz around with a few buttons (i think the same dial controls shutter speed and aperture and you have to press other buttons to change settings - if anyone has one, correct me if i'm wrong) and when you go up to the higher end models, the controls for aperture and shutter speed change so that your thumb controls aperture with a dial on the back and index controls shutter speed with a dial on the top, so it's a bit more intuitive. then when you go from mid-range to super-high end the control to switch between like, video, manual, aperture priority is better designed.

I have a Canon Rebel and I'd definitely agree with this!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:15 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I've had the same Canon Rebel for six years - it was my first and i'm sure an upgrade would be nice, but if it ain't broke and all that. Also i'm pretty clumsy and have dropped it a few times and i've never had to have it serviced. My favorite lens, though, is the cheapest one and i'm on my third:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-Ca ... n+1.8+lens

It breaks easily because it's a plastic lens, but like I said, i'm pretty clumsy so the fact that i've only broken two is kind of a miracle. But for the price, it takes really nice pictures with lots of pretty bokeh.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=canon+1.8+lens

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:42 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have a nikon d90 which I love. I was starting from scratch in photography when I got it and knew nadda. With guidance from a few willing people it was easy enough to get to grips with.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:35 pm 
Saggy Butt

oooh mrsbadmouth, i have that lens too! it's great. totally recommend it too.

i am coveting this lens right now, if i get cash for my birthday i may buy it, if i can find a place in canada that sells it, so i don't have to pay like, 60% of it's price for customs handling/taxes. first i wanted it totally for novelty, but i've been wanting to shoot more sports and i think it could come in handy there too. maybe. probably only outdoors on a really sunny day.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:15 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

buy a second hand body (with a lowish-as-possible shutter count) and spend as much as you can on the lens. be careful about it, obviously, but I've only had success stories doing this..

generally speaking, any body from the last few years will be more-or-less good enough for anything you want to do. a good lens on an old(ish) body will definitely scrub up well..as opposed to vice versa.

hell, even a nikon d80 from 5 years ago will still take great photos.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:53 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

Prime lenses are great to start with because you'll be forced to move around and think about the shot rather than fiddle around with the zoom. And they tend to be cheap(er), especially the 50mm lens mrsbadmouth linked to.

I'd look into a Rebel. Some have video capabilities, if that interests you. Or if you're looking for a full-frame camera, you could find a Canon 5D (mark i) around your price range.