| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chemical Personal Care?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:37 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm a fairly new vegan who is finally in need of new self-care products. Everything I find that is vegan also happens to be "all natural." I know this may sound odd, but I actually prefer the chemicals, especially for hair! The only things I can consistently find are bright hair dyes. Shampoo, conditioner, and everything else all seems to be of the natural variety. I have extremely greasy hair that only responds to harsh chemicals, otherwise it stays dirty. Any suggestions?

I did test to make sure it wasn't all in my head. Lo and behold, Whole Foods' 365 shampoo designed for oily hair makes me feel like I spilled a vat of oil on my head. Sigh.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Chemical Personal Care?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:58 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Paul Mitchell? Some of their shampoo is vegan. Don't know if it's too natural though. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:45 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Pretty sure White Rain is vegan!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:25 am 
Saggy Butt

Thank you both! I had no idea either of these would be okay - and apparently White Rain is all vegan (according to their FAQ)! Yay for chemical vegan goodness I can find in all stores!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:17 am 
Naked Under Apron

So glad White Rain is still vegan, especially since I just found out Tressemme and St. Ives were bought by Unilever.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:39 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm far from an expert, here, but don't some people experience a transition period when switching to natural products before they seem to work? Like after using less harsh shampoo your body will produce less oil in response, so the natural stuff will seem to work better after a couple of weeks? Don't know for sure, just thought I'd throw that out there. It would be hard to feel dirty waiting to adjust, though :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:53 pm 
Saggy Butt

tofucheez wrote:
I'm far from an expert, here, but don't some people experience a transition period when switching to natural products before they seem to work? Like after using less harsh shampoo your body will produce less oil in response, so the natural stuff will seem to work better after a couple of weeks? Don't know for sure, just thought I'd throw that out there. It would be hard to feel dirty waiting to adjust, though :)

Yeah. . . I've heard of this. I've had the shampoo for about a week now and held out this long because of that. But it's taking its sweet asparagus time. I don't know if I have the willpower!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

If you are a Costco member (or have a friend who is), I was visiting my parents recently and they had bought big bottles of Kirkland brand shampoo and conditioner that said "vegan" right on the front of the bottle. They worked amazingly (I have fine, curly hair that tends toward greasy).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:21 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

mandycoot wrote:
If you are a Costco member (or have a friend who is), I was visiting my parents recently and they had bought big bottles of Kirkland brand shampoo and conditioner that said "vegan" right on the front of the bottle. They worked amazingly (I have fine, curly hair that tends toward greasy).

Really? What kind do you think it is repackaged? I bet it is Pureology, which I love.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:26 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Not to crepe on your parade, but just because a product says 'vegan' on it doesn't mean it's cruelty-free. L'Oreal had the nerve to put 'vegan and cruelty-free' on a few of their hair products because they didn't test the final product on animals, but they test everything else under the sun. I've never heard of Kirkland but it's not on Leaping Bunny or Peta and google wasn't very helpful.

Unless you have or have found confirmation from the company that they don't use third party testing and their suppliers don't test, it's hard to figure this stuff out.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:42 am 
Naked Under Apron

Kirkland is Costco store brand.

Isn't Pureology not vegan? Owned by a company that tests? Perhaps L'Oreal? So if it's just repackaged wouldn't that make it not vegan?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:44 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh, whoops, sorry! I didn't even think of that. I just noticed it in my parents' shower and thought it was neat that it said that. It's not something I have personally investigated or bought, though, and we generally buy natural products so I have no idea who the copacker would be!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:48 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Chicki wrote:
mandycoot wrote:

Really? What kind do you think it is repackaged? I bet it is Pureology, which I love.

That's what I've heard it is. I use this shampoo and conditioner too and I love it. It's lasted at least 6 months so far.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:08 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Pureology is owned by L'Oreal, therefore not cruelty-free.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]