| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon May 30, 2016 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fashion colors on salt and pepper hair?
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:39 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hey there, my fashionable PPKers! I was wondering if anyone had any experience with dying salt & pepper hair fashion colors.

My natural hair color is very dark brown but now I've got about 30% gray in there. I had been getting it colored (semi-permanent sort of warm-brown color) but have been growing it out since November. I'm at the point where the roots are several inches long (about down to the top of my ear, while my hair is about shoulder length) and it's starting to drive me nuts, but I don't want to go back to completely covering it.

I've been thinking about doing a fashion color - maybe blue, green, or purple - but hear that they don't work well on dark hair. I don't want to lighten my hair, but I'm wondering if the color would show up enough on the 30% grey to have an interesting effect. Does anyone have any experience doing something like this?

Vegan Stuff in Belgium

VSiB FB page

Post subject: Re: Fashion colors on salt and pepper hair?
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:34 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The color will show up, but my experience has been that direct dyes fade pretty quickly on hair that hasn't been lightened to increase porosity. If it's something you're willing to keep up at home it could be fun, but be prepared for a less "in your face" look (which it sounds like is what you're looking for).

I have seen that some brands are starting to come out with new formulas that will work better on unbleached hair, but it's still a newer thing.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:35 am 
Discovered unobtainium

The color fades quickest from my grey hairs. Unfortunately. Is the texture of your grey hair different than the rest of your hair?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:59 am 
Saggy Butt

I haven't done bright colors like that since having grey hairs, but this past year I used henna on m hair a few times, and it was subtle since I also have dark hair, but I like how it showed up on my grey hairs the best! They're kind of shiny/sparkly and more coppery than the rest in a way that I like. Maybe that's an option if you find that the bright colors aren't working as well or lasting as long as you want. I also like that since it's a more subtle color difference between the henna and my regular hair, the part that's grown out now and the hennaed part blend together pretty ok.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:
The color fades quickest from my grey hairs. Unfortunately. Is the texture of your grey hair different than the rest of your hair?

It's the same texture, but all of my hair is curly and frizzy so it might be more porous to begin with? It does tend to take more traditional colors quite well. It's been a half a year since I had my hair done, and except for 6 months worth of roots, the rest of my hair is still holding its color. But that might be different for bright fashion colors, I guess.

Nicole wrote:
The color will show up, but my experience has been that direct dyes fade pretty quickly on hair that hasn't been lightened to increase porosity. If it's something you're willing to keep up at home it could be fun, but be prepared for a less "in your face" look (which it sounds like is what you're looking for).

To be honest, I'm not really even sure what look I'm looking for. Part of me just wants to get through growing out my gray. Right now the roots are driving me crazy and I think it would be fun to try something new that will get me through this phase without giving into the temptation to going back to dying my hair its "natural" color.

Electric_claire, I did henna for years before I started dyeing. From what I understand, you can't combine henna and dye, and I still have several inches of dye left. I might consider it again at some point, but towards the end of my using it, I wasn't really happy with the results I was getting.

ETA: I'll try to get a picture of my hair tomorrow in natural light.

Vegan Stuff in Belgium

VSiB FB page