| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cracked heels
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:24 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Appealing subject line, I know. Does anyone have any suggestions for lotions and potions for cracked heels? Pumicing and normal moisturizing aren't cutting it for me, and between exercise, swimming in chlorine, living in the desert, and walking around barefoot pretty much whenever possible, well, my feet look it.

Post subject: Re: Cracked heels
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:09 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My husband uses something called pretty feet. I'm not sure if the company is vegan friendly but it works really well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:16 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Himalaya and other Ayurvedic lines sell a cream called (with some variation) 'cracked' which is meant for exactly your problem. I used it extensively when I lived in India. Himalaya should be available in the US. Maybe some other brands as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:26 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Ahava Mineral Foot Cream has worked wonders for me. I find that a little of it goes a long way. The second most effective lotion I've tried is Nature's Gate Skin Therapy. I use both of those on a regular basis and love them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:20 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Superdrug 'cracked heel repair cream' promises visible results in three days. You're supposed to put it on twice a day. It seems to be helping my feet, but they hadn't got to the stage of cracking yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:36 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

During the winter, I made my own whipped body butter and it made a huge difference in the condition of my feet.

http://wellnessmama.com/6544/whipped-body-butter/

If you don't want to DIY, look in your local health food store for a local brand.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:43 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm so lost trying to find vegan personal care products! Food ingredients I can handle deciperhing. Lotions on the other hand, I'm so overwhelmed unless I know the brand itself is vegan.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:32 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So glad you started this thread. I've developed cracks on one heel the past two summers. I'm a total no-maintenance kind of gal (never had this issue before 40) so please excuse the dumb question - once you get the cream, what is the best way to take care of it? Like do you put it on before bed, and wear a sock or something? Do you pumice first, then cream? When is the best time to pumice (before or after shower?) How often? Just any kinds of tips about your healthy foot rituals would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:11 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Hi aubade, generally I think these creams tell you to use twice a day (recommendations will be on the bottle - I ordered the Ahava stuff Book Luster recommends until I get the motivation to make my own, so we'll see if there are any "special" instructions). So for twice a day I would use after showering in the morning and then right before bed. Right now where I live its 110 degrees, so there is no way in hell I'm wearing socks to bed :) I'll just apply and let it soak in before going to sleep. However, when I lived in Chicago, I would absolutely put socks on because it seemed to help it soak in better.
I generally pumice while in the shower and then would apply the cream after. I try to do a light pumice every day.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:42 pm 
Huffs Nooch

emmalv, I hope you like the Ahava!

aubade, I don't follow much of a strict routine. I sporadically buff and pumice. The buffer (at least I think that's what it's called) I use on dry feet just before showering. It's the black, sandpapery, looking thing. Clearly not an expert here! Then in the shower (again when I think of it), I pumice. I use the lotion after showering, no socks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:05 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Do cracked heels actually go away with care, or just look less obvious? I've had some cracks for years, despite slathering-and-sock-wearing, but maybe I should be more diligent.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The only thing that keeps my heels semi-pretty is daily scrubbing with some body wash and a rough pedicure tool. I do it at the end of my shower after my feet have softened up. It keeps the layers of thick/hard skin from taking over and then cracking. If I don't do it for a few days I can feel my heels getting itchy and I know the thick skin is growing back.

I don't really use anything special as far as lotion or creams. Just my regular everyday Charity Pot lotion from Lush. It's thick enough to moisturize really well. But Lush also makes lots of scrubs and lotions specifically for feet.

I use something like this to scrub with daily.
http://www.sephora.com/diamond-foot-buf ... Id=1271816

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:49 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Smother your feet in vaseline/petroleum jelly, then put on a pair of socks and go to bed. In the morning, they'll be perfectly wonderful.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Well, I pumiced before and after the shower and lotioned 2x per day for about 3 days in a row now thanks to this thread's advice. There is already more of an improvement than I thought there would be. But I still have a huge crack that is sort of like a shelf at the bottom of my foot.

Charity Pot is actually my usual lotion too! But I got a free coconut butter moisturizer sample from body shop last week so that's what i've been using.

I guess I will just keep trying to do this every day and see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You could try a really good pedicure at a nail salon or spa.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:26 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

So far so good with the Ahava cream! The most superficial cracks seem to be almost gone already.