| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Could you go a whole year without buying clothes?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:47 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah, I could do it. I don't buy many clothes. Sometimes I go through phases where I want to shop a lot, but then I'll go months without even thinking about buying anything new. I mostly like online shopping for things I have no intention of buying.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:52 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Sadly, no, I am addicted to shopping. It's awful. I want to stop, but don't know how. It's like on the days that I don't go in to a clothing store I go grocery shopping just to peruse aisles and spend money. Horrible, I need to quit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:22 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

styggavargen wrote:
This "buy nothing for a year" has become a fab here in Sweden among the liberal middle class. I don't really get it what is so hard not to live a life for a year with out buying the most essential if you all ready have everything you need. For a person with 5-8 pair of trousers it can't be that hard....I used to live on $20 a week and buying new clothes wasn't really a big issue when putting food on the table was the main problem.

For real. I love clothes. I like to make clothes. I can't spend money. Problem solved before it ever became one. I cried once because I spent $160 on shoes. I had the money, but it felt so wrong after living most of my life with IOU's on Christmas and broken down cars.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:26 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I think I could come pretty close. The last time I bought "real" clothes was last December, but I've purchased underwear/sports bras/exercise clothes in the meantime.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:00 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

styggavargen wrote:
This "buy nothing for a year" has become a fab here in Sweden among the liberal middle class. I don't really get it what is so hard not to live a life for a year with out buying the most essential if you all ready have everything you need. For a person with 5-8 pair of trousers it can't be that hard....I used to live on $20 a week and buying new clothes wasn't really a big issue when putting food on the table was the main problem.

Because shopping apparently something that really thrills them and clothes are how they choose to express themselves. I mean, books are a luxury too and I would be a lot better off if I said no more buying books this year, I'll read the ones I've got and that's it for one year, but I'd also be really freaking bummed and would struggle with that. Some people would consider not buying books for one year really easy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:41 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I think I could do it, I'd get really bored of the clothes I have, but I've never been a huge shopper. I really like looking at clothes and stuff online but I never buy any of it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:42 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Assuming my weight didn't fluctuate for a year rendering all my clothes too small or too big, then I could do it. I wouldn't like it, but I could do it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:05 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

paprikapapaya wrote:
Assuming my weight didn't fluctuate for a year rendering all my clothes too small or too big, then I could do it. I wouldn't like it, but I could do it.

Oh ya, I didn't even think about the weight thing, mine tends to fluctuate depending on whether or not I'm in school.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:31 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Meggs wrote:
No. I could not. Definitely not. I love clothes and I live in a place where we have four seasons and I need all sorts of layers and coats and shiitake... or maybe that's just my justification for buying clothes. Either way, NO.

Yes. This is me. I could definitley go a year without buying other stuff...junk food maybe.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:34 am 
Chard Martyr

Man, I'm pretty sure I've been doing this off-and-on for at least a few years. Never for a full year, but I think I could do it. I hate buying clothes.

But I do need to buy socks regularly, because socks disappear out of thin air.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:39 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Another "could, have, and will continue to in the future." I think the last time I bought a brand-new, never-before-worn piece of (non-undergarment) clothing was at least 2 years ago, and the last time I picked something up from a Goodwill was close to or just over a year ago. I haaaaaaaaaate clothes shopping. I wish I could just wear a beige muumuu all the time and be done with it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:41 am 
Saggy Butt

i think i could, if i stayed the same size. but i dont know if i would be able to. i have plenty of clothes. but i always seem to find some reason to "need" new items. currently i feel i "need" a neck gaiter for winter. could i get by without one? sure. do i want to? not sure.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:42 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I hate shopping for clothes, so I probably have done this. I only buy something new if I have a special occasion like a wedding or interview and the stuff I already have is no longer wearable. Usually that means it's not the right size or it's stained or worn to the point of looking like crepe.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:59 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I can go a long time, but would have to to buy a few things for work, underwear and bras. We have a little bit of a dress code at work(black pants, solid tops), I usually have to buy a few pairs of black pants a year. I actually wear clothes for ever though, I was looking at a picture of myself from 10 years ago and I still wear the sweater I had on!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:28 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I think I've done it several different years. If not, I could.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:43 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I could come close, but eventually I would have to buy something for work or because something wears out or I need a different size. I don't buy very much, and I probably could buy all/mostly secondhand (other than underwear and stuff), but I don't know if I could go a whole year without buying a single item of clothing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:52 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

pandacookie wrote:
I've already done that. I rarely buy clothes and wear things until they fall apart. I probably didn't buy anything for 2 years while in grad school.

I've definitely done the same. I'm pretty sure the shirt I'm wearing today is at least 6 years old. And I'm just about ready to get rid of the gym shorts I bought in 7th grade.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:03 pm 
Chard Martyr

Fee wrote:
styggavargen wrote:

Because shopping apparently something that really thrills them and clothes are how they choose to express themselves. I mean, books are a luxury too and I would be a lot better off if I said no more buying books this year, I'll read the ones I've got and that's it for one year, but I'd also be really freaking bummed and would struggle with that. Some people would consider not buying books for one year really easy.

If Isa quit writing cookbooks, I would have the book thing down. The last book I bought before AFR was VCIYCJ. Before that, VB... or whichever came out first... All other books, library.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:21 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

la vie sale wrote:
Sadly, no, I am addicted to shopping. It's awful. I want to stop, but don't know how. It's like on the days that I don't go in to a clothing store I go grocery shopping just to peruse aisles and spend money. Horrible, I need to quit.

Me too! I buy the same stuff I have way too much of already too! I would be happy to go 1 month without buying a t-shirt, socks, body wash, lotion or lip gloss.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:49 pm 
Dead by dawn

I think I could. Granted, I am starting with pretty full closets. I don't think I bought anything for the first half or so of this year. Shoes would be the hardest; I'm hard on the shoes I wear to work because I bus it and that means a fair amount of walking to and from. Like Pinko, if you told me that you were sure I couldn't, I'd be stubborn enough to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:57 pm 
Chard Martyr

la vie sale wrote:

We are never allowed to hang out.
Only because we'd be really bad for each other's pocketbooks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:01 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm a guy, so probably easier for me?

I'd have to start off the year with five or six pairs of new pants, a similar number of sweats and shorts, probably a dozen pair of underwear (obviously), same with socks. I think if I had enough button-down shirts for work, one pair of brand-new work shoes, sandals and running/walking shoes, I'd be good. With my existing t-shirt collection, I could totally do it. :)

Of course, I'm easy, and tend to wear the same things over and over again until they start to look tattered. You could probably wash your clothes more gently, dry them on lower heat, ensure the right length to avoid stepping on the back of the pants with heels.... I wash every item of clothing after wearing it, so I'm a decent baseline for wear if you decide to wash your clothes less, you'd get even more mileage.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:08 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I could do this, I probably have unknowingly. But I'd rather not. I don't buy many clothes because I hate shopping for them, but I have a few favorite on-line stores. Who entice me with e-mails. Filled with pretty skirts. Damn you orangyporangy! I wish I knew how to sew, the skirts are such simple designs, I bet I could make them myself.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:26 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have tried to go one month without buying anything like make up or clothes but failed after only a few days. It is so sad that shopping fills this void in my life. Or whatever it is. It is an addiction. I used to go months without buying clothes and would wear the same stuff for years, but since I lost 30 lbs of weight three years ago it has been way more fun to shop for clothes because I can actually fit in the things I like. And I have more extra money to spend on things for myself, I know that has a lot to do with it.
I have more make up than I'll ever use, and am constantly giving it away to friends. I need to stop. New years resolution? I think so!
W should start a thread like the no sugar thread, the no more shopping thread for January!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:43 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

It's no secret that I am not a fashion plate. I probably only spend $100/year at most on clothing, and that's mainly underwear. The rest comes from thrift stores, mainly great buys made by my sister who loves to bargain hunt.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next