| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Could you go a whole year without buying clothes?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't understand how you people go through so many bras and underwear! I buy jeans at about 5 times the rate of undergarments.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:24 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

No. I mean, I technically could, but I would be bisqueing about it so much that I'm pretty sure people would murder me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:26 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

mel c wrote:
I don't understand how you people go through so many bras and underwear! I buy jeans at about 5 times the rate of undergarments.

The straps lose their umph! I mean, they're not unwearable, they just don't hold my boobs up any more.

And Chester eats my underwear, so that's taken care of.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:47 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

i could and have, and even when i need to, i put if off as long as possible. my husband has even taken me to the store and 'forced' me to buy underwear.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:11 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

jildez wrote:
i could and have, and even when i need to, i put if off as long as possible. my husband has even taken me to the store and 'forced' me to buy underwear.

I laughed at this then remembered the same thing happened to me. It's kind of cute though, right?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Fee wrote:
The straps lose their umph! I mean, they're not unwearable, they just don't hold my boobs up any more.

And Chester eats my underwear, so that's taken care of.

My straps aren't working too hard and I don't have a Chester, so that explains a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:08 pm 

I wonder if there are internet strangers who read that and think Chester is my boyfriend and not a dog. I hope so.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:11 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I've gone two and a half years without doing laundry before.

I think I could handle it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:13 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

just mumbles wrote:
I've gone two and a half years without doing laundry before.

I think I could handle it.

but that was when you lived in the nudest colony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:52 pm 
Chard Martyr

Fee wrote:
mel c wrote:

Is this a bra quality issue or just a "Fee's boobs are so awesome they go through any bra that man can make" issue?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:54 pm 

Some of both, I like to believe.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:18 pm 
Chard Martyr

Fee wrote:
Some of both, I like to believe.

If it was the former, I was going to suggest spending more money on better quality bras, but I was certain it was going to be the latter.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:28 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I could maybe go a year without buying any clothes new, because I do a lot of my clothes shopping at Buffalo Exchange. But there's no way I could go a whole year without buy any clothing at all, provided I had the means.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:55 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

no problemo. more than a year for sure because I can make my bras and undies last 3 years. the rest is all gotten from clothing swaps. regarding books I get a lot from the library lately, but I will buy a book if I need to refer to it regularly. It's not *just* because I'm cheap and have no money, I see the clothing issue as slightly different from books. In the years since I've become an adult it just seems nearly impossible to buy clothing made somewhere other than China/Burma/other economic zone. And I think enough clothes already exist that we all could go a long time without buying new stuff. And then re-event the economy!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:34 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i may have done this already? not sure. i'm quite unfashionable, and love the thrift store, so my closets are full. (ironically, i hadn't donated clothes in a while, which contributes to the packed closets.) i would just need more undies (sadie was eating them for a while, but she understands now that she can only destroy fabric that has been knotted.) and i would need 1 pair of winter boots, but other than that, i think i could go quite a while.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:17 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

la vie sale wrote:
I have tried to go one month without buying anything like make up or clothes but failed after only a few days. It is so sad that shopping fills this void in my life. Or whatever it is. It is an addiction. I used to go months without buying clothes and would wear the same stuff for years, but since I lost 30 lbs of weight three years ago it has been way more fun to shop for clothes because I can actually fit in the things I like. And I have more extra money to spend on things for myself, I know that has a lot to do with it.
I have more make up than I'll ever use, and am constantly giving it away to friends. I need to stop. New years resolution? I think so!
W should start a thread like the no sugar thread, the no more shopping thread for January!

I'm in if others will join up!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:22 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm pretty sure it has been a year since I have bought any new clothes. Of course, I am sort of a fashion disaster so I would probably benefit more from a challenge that required me to buy new clothes for a year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:03 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

So my husband and I just agreed that I can have a spending allowance a month for clothes, make up etc that is $200. That is more than I should be spending anyway. I am game to do the no buy January, although I am going on a trip to NY and can already foresee a shopping extravaganza happening. I impulse shop too much.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:21 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yes, this is not hard. Last January, I spent $300 at the extreme clearance racks at the Lauren outlet buying warmer clothes for work to fill gaps in my wardrobe. Everything I got will last for many years (all plain, classic, basic pieces like the cotton sweaters). I generally only buy clothes that I intend to keep and wear for a long time, and I take care of them. The long sleeved black tee that I am wearing today was from Ann Taylor 4 years ago and it still looks new even though I wash/wear it once a week in the Fall.

I had to buy new underwear and then a suit for job interviews over the summer because of weight gain after surgery, but that was an anomaly. Otherwise, I doubt I'll buy any clothes at all possibly even by this time again next year because I can't imagine what I would need or even want. So I've almost gone a year if you don't count the emergency suit.

I'm pretty sure I haven't forgotten anything. When I buy clothes, I mostly go get them deliberately for a specific purpose, hence the Lauren shopping spree: 1 hr, 1 location where I knew I would find what I wanted that would fit without trying everything on.

Oh, scratch that. I DID buy one shirt with birthday money in March. But that was only because my mom was shopping and she is a bad influence. So my 1 year will be in March.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:28 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

supercarrot wrote:
...she understands now that she can only destroy fabric that has been knotted.

I thought -I- was the only one who did this! Whenever I wear my socks out, I wash them, and then knot them. The dogs love to play tug-of-war. Not so good as socks anymore, but great for play.

I don't do this with underwear because I'm not sure I want guests to see my dogs gnawing on a pair. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:44 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Amarand wrote:
supercarrot wrote:
...she understands now that she can only destroy fabric that has been knotted.

I thought -I- was the only one who did this! Whenever I wear my socks out, I wash them, and then knot them. The dogs love to play tug-of-war. Not so good as socks anymore, but great for play.

I don't do this with underwear because I'm not sure I want guests to see my dogs gnawing on a pair. :)

haha! we take out the elastic from the boxers and then knot them (they're a little bit more subtle that way, and surely safer.). we don't bother washing the worn-out socks. gives it more flavor. :-p

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:46 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

lavawitch wrote:
When I buy clothes, I mostly go get them deliberately for a specific purpose, hence the Lauren shopping spree: 1 hr, 1 location where I knew I would find what I wanted that would fit without trying everything on. .

I think this is smart; you purposefully buy quality items at a reasonable price that will last you a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:44 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

landofoz wrote:
la vie sale wrote:
I have tried to go one month without buying anything like make up or clothes but failed after only a few days. It is so sad that shopping fills this void in my life. Or whatever it is. It is an addiction. I used to go months without buying clothes and would wear the same stuff for years, but since I lost 30 lbs of weight three years ago it has been way more fun to shop for clothes because I can actually fit in the things I like. And I have more extra money to spend on things for myself, I know that has a lot to do with it.
I have more make up than I'll ever use, and am constantly giving it away to friends. I need to stop. New years resolution? I think so!
W should start a thread like the no sugar thread, the no more shopping thread for January!

I would definitely participate. I have a shopping problem, and I would like to try and deal with it!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:19 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

landofoz wrote:
la vie sale wrote:

I'm in! My credit cards cannot take much more!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:47 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I would be able to go a year without buying clothes... But that's because I'd probably get clothes as gifts from my sisters, since my older sister works at Victoria's Secret and my younger sister works at Zara.

If that's not allowed, then I couldn't do it. I never pass up free clothes. If there's ugly xxl t-shirts that someone's handing out, I'll take one to sleep in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next