| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cheap Eyeglasses
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:04 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I posted about getting cheap eyeglasses in another thread and thought it might be nice to share the link. The eyeglasses I got are prescription, and cost me less than $20. I've been wearing them for 2 days now and am pretty pleased with them.

http://www.zennioptical.com/

Post subject: Re: Cheap Eyeglasses
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:46 pm 
Huffs Nooch

That was a great deal! My boyfriend and I just got glasses online for the first time, too. For people who are interested, there are a bunch of different sites like Zenni on the web and with a little research you can get some great glasses for supercheap. For a good rundown of different sites, how to choose your glasses, and usually some coupon codes for the sites, go to http://glassyeyes.blogspot.com/. My boyfriend got his at EyeBuyDirect and had a good experience. I ended up getting mine from http://www.warbyparker.com/. They are a little more expensive (all pairs are $95), but they had a pair exactly like I wanted. Plus, they do a Toms-esque thing where when you buy a pair of glasses, they donate a pair to someone in need, which I thought was pretty cool.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:39 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

These websites all look neat, I'll have to check them out!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:22 am 

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
this is awesome..thanks!!

seeing as I lost my 300 dollar pair a few months after getting them and now am sans insurance

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:26 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Cool! I'm due for a new set too. Too many choices!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:28 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Want:

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:47 am 
ugh

ScooterDiva wrote:
I posted about getting cheap eyeglasses in another thread and thought it might be nice to share the link. The eyeglasses I got are prescription, and cost me less than $20. I've been wearing them for 2 days now and am pretty pleased with them.

http://www.zennioptical.com/

While I was not involved in the project much, my company designed & developed that site! :)

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:16 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I have Rx sunglasses from Zenni and have been very pleased with them! They have lasted for a few years of nearly daily use, one pair is still going strong although I can see wear on the frames and i lost a screw on the other pair. I need to order some more, and some new regular glasses as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:43 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I need to look into this, thanks! I have no job/insurance but I need new glasses.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:53 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've ordered a few pairs from Zenni and they've been great. So, so cheap, fast shipping, and my $17 glasses are just as fine as the $100 ones I got last time I was at the optometrist.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:58 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My husband and i got ours from eyebuy direct, we are pretty happy. we did have trouble getting our eyedoctor to give us our pupil measurements, had to pay a little more to get it, but way less then otherwise and now we have it for good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:34 am 
Saggy Butt

I got my last pair at lens crafters because it was an emergency (my other ones broke in half on a saturday night and lens crafters was the only place open). I've only bought sunglasses on zenni optical, but that warby parker site has really cool frames. I need a back up pair, right?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:56 pm 

just ordered a newpair for myself. came out to 70 bucks with shipping..that sure beats the 400 a new pair woulda cost me at the eye doctors

FU Eye Doctor!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:10 pm 
Saggy Butt

jildez wrote:
we did have trouble getting our eyedoctor to give us our pupil measurements, had to pay a little more to get it, but way less then otherwise and now we have it for good.

im pretty sure that's illegal now.

my husband has ordered a bunch of pairs from zenni and has been really happy with them, ive ordered one pair and they were okay but im really picky.
one thing to pay attention to though is the sizes of the frames. he ended up with one pair that were comically large. its hard to tell when the photos are just of the frames themselves.
a trick i used is to go to the store and try one some frames. when you find some you like, make note of the brand and the measurements inside (it should have the bridge measurement and...its either the frame width or the bow length). if you can find the particular frames online you can usually find that info as well as all the other measurements (frame height & width, bow length, bridge width). then you can look for cheap glasses with similar measurements.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:13 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

i've tried doing the cheap-eyeglasses-online thing, but none of the eyeglasses i purchased were correct. it's probably because i have a super-strong rx (i'm very very verrrrrry nearsighted- we're talking a -9.00 and a -9.25 rx) and a slight astigmatism. i took the pairs (one from zenni, one from 39dollarglasses) to my eye doctor and they said for one pair, the rx was slightly off, and for the other pair, the rx was spot-on but when i put the glasses on, everything looked warped (like a fun-house mirror), and they said it had to do with my pupils needing to be in the direct center of the lens. for now i'm stuck with my contact lenses and my one sole pair of eyeglasses-- which, funnily enough, are from bj's wholesale club and they're pretty perfect.

aaaaanywho. i'm glad it's worked out for all of you guys! :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:49 pm 

joyfulvegan wrote:
i've tried doing the cheap-eyeglasses-online thing, but none of the eyeglasses i purchased were correct. it's probably because i have a super-strong rx (i'm very very verrrrrry nearsighted- we're talking a -9.00 and a -9.25 rx) and a slight astigmatism. i took the pairs (one from zenni, one from 39dollarglasses) to my eye doctor and they said for one pair, the rx was slightly off, and for the other pair, the rx was spot-on but when i put the glasses on, everything looked warped (like a fun-house mirror), and they said it had to do with my pupils needing to be in the direct center of the lens. for now i'm stuck with my contact lenses and my one sole pair of eyeglasses-- which, funnily enough, are from bj's wholesale club and they're pretty perfect.

aaaaanywho. i'm glad it's worked out for all of you guys! :)

yikes...now Im worried, as Im a -12 and a -14

I.see.good.

also a tiny bit worried about frame size being too small for my gimongous head...146mm was the widest they had in non molester frames, which is only 5.6 inches..and that doesnt seem wide enough, but I guess I'll find out. Probably shoulda checked the return policy

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:57 pm 
Saggy Butt

yeah the pupil distance needs to be precise. my husband did get one pair (out of the like 12 he's ordered from zenni) that were off. his prescription is -8 in each eye and he hasnt had any problems other than that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:20 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Adam Crisis wrote:
also a tiny bit worried about frame size being too small for my gimongous head...146mm was the widest they had in non molester frames, which is only 5.6 inches..and that doesnt seem wide enough, but I guess I'll find out. Probably shoulda checked the return policy

i was just looking at the warby parker website, and it looks like they'll ship you up to five frames for free, let you try them on, and then you mail them back for free. you just have to give them your credit card details and they'll only charge you if you don't return them within five days. it sounds pretty cool, and i think i might try them out when i'm due for a new pair of specs. plus, their return policy sounds good.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:14 am 

my zennis came in...they work pretty great...the frames are a big cheapy flimsy feeling, but hey what do you want for 20 bucks

now i can give my poor eye surface a break from the all waking hour contact wear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:34 am 

Adam Crisis wrote:
my zennis came in...they work pretty great...the frames are a big cheapy flimsy feeling, but hey what do you want for 20 bucks

now i can give my poor eye surface a break from the all waking hour contact wear

Glad they're working ok for you. I've gotten more compliments on my cheap Zenni eyeglasses than my uber expensive past frames.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:33 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I just ordered two pairs of Zenni glasses last week. One was $20 and I got all the trimmings (Polycarbonate lenses, anti reflective coating) and the other pair was $10 with no add-ons. I've always had glasses with those extras so I wanted to test and see if all that jazz is noticably better.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:06 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

lindsayh wrote:
jildez wrote:
we did have trouble getting our eyedoctor to give us our pupil measurements, had to pay a little more to get it, but way less then otherwise and now we have it for good.

im pretty sure that's illegal now.

my husband has ordered a bunch of pairs from zenni and has been really happy with them, ive ordered one pair and they were okay but im really picky.
one thing to pay attention to though is the sizes of the frames. he ended up with one pair that were comically large. its hard to tell when the photos are just of the frames themselves.
a trick i used is to go to the store and try one some frames. when you find some you like, make note of the brand and the measurements inside (it should have the bridge measurement and...its either the frame width or the bow length). if you can find the particular frames online you can usually find that info as well as all the other measurements (frame height & width, bow length, bridge width). then you can look for cheap glasses with similar measurements.

they gave us all the other measurements, because they were part of the prescription, then we had to pay a couple of bucks to the 'eyewear shop' to do the pupil distance measure. the doctor didn't do them. they didin't even know what to charge- they said they do it as a 'courtesy' when people buy glasses. it was kinda a pain and we won't be going back there.

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]