| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dark circles and I don't wear makeup...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:52 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I don't wear makeup and I don't know how to use makeup but it's high time I start covering up those dark circles that make me look sleepy and fatigued. I've only tried the elf brand but they don't last very long, they don't blend well and they aren't effective in covering up. I've even tried the Everyday Minerals sunlight corrector underneath to correct the color then added the concealer on top but it didn't work. Can anyone recommend an affordable, easy to use vegan concealer for a newbie? Preferably one that can stand on its own without having to add all the other stuff like foundation...

Post subject: Re: dark circles and I don't wear makeup...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You would have to figure out what color you need. But I use Lush's color supplement which is like liquid foundation in a little pot. And then I finish off with the emotional brilliance powder. Other than that if you have a Sephora, Ulta, or Blue Mercury around you they will all have good trained sales people who can point you in the right direction of animal free cosmetic brands and something for dark under eye circles. Most people use a green or yellow tinted color correction stick under their makeup. But for someone who isn't used to wearing a lot of makeup that might be a bit much for you. You can always go to the department stores makeup counters and see if there are any options there. I know MAC Cosmetics has some animal free products. Peta has a directory.

http://features.peta.org/cruelty-free-c ... index.aspx

http://www.lushusa.com/Skin/skin,en_US,sc.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:33 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

MAC isn't cruelty-free, and I wouldn't recommend relying on people at makeup counters or stores to know what is and isn't vegan.

For under-eye circles, you want some sort of peach corrector - if you use a thin concealer it's not going to do anything for you. Lush's color supplement that Gracia mentioned would work because it's the fair shade is pretty pink toned, but it's not cheap. Hopefully other people will have cheaper suggestions, right now i'm working my way through a pot of NYX concealer and they were recently bought out by L'Oreal.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

No? I thought MAC had some good options without animal testing or ingredients. Sorry about that! I must be outdated on this topic.

I know Lush def isn't cheap, but it does last a long time. I'm still on my first pot and it's been a year. I went through the powder quicker than the foundation.

This list looks pretty up to date, but no idea on price range.
http://www.logicalharmony.net/cruelty-f ... z3CktKAznX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:24 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Too bad about Nyx, I would have given those a try. I should have mentioned my skin is more olive/yellow. If I try Lush, should I get the dark yellow one? Will this also work for blemishes?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:44 pm 
Semen Strong

I have had dark circles for as long as I can remember and finally got rid of them by doing oil pulling followed by a neti pot rinse :) I've read that they are related to sinus issues, so at least for me, it was worth a shot of woo. Its pretty cheap too, fwiw.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:42 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I have bad under eye circles and, oddly enough, the ELF mineral foundation worked exceptionally well for me when I applied with a round brush in small circles. For extra coverage applying a light tinted moisturizer or bb cream first and then the powder mineral foundation really evened out my skin tone.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:10 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i also bought face makeup for the first time just to cover up undereye circles, and i've had the best luck using elf foundation as an undereye concealer. i tried pretty much all of their concealers, and the liquid studio formula was nice, but it was a little too thin/sheer/light to really do everything i needed it to do. i pat the foundation on with a finger and then set with a very fine powder, and if i use a thin enough layer i don't have problems with creasing. sometimes i use a primer underneath, and that helps even more. i haven't found anything that both covers all the discoloration and matches my skin, but this system is good enough for me. i use the studio flawless finish foundation in porcelain (my skin is light with yellow to neutral undertones).

i bought some of the lush stuff to use as a spot concealer, and i had a lot of trouble with pilling and spotty/cakey coverage, but it's possible that the jar i bought was old or something. other people seem to love it, but i haven't been willing to try it again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:40 pm 

natnatnaz wrote:
Too bad about Nyx, I would have given those a try. I should have mentioned my skin is more olive/yellow. If I try Lush, should I get the dark yellow one? Will this also work for blemishes?

The Lush color cream is really pigmented, if you use it on blemishes and don't use foundation I don't think you'll be able to blend it out enough to not be able to see the spots. Also, yellow will work a little to cancel out blue undertones but not as well as a peachy color, if your bags aren't that bad and you want it to match your skin easily without putting anything on top yellow will be fine. If you're not opposed to it, a tinted moisturizer or BB cream would help blend out everything and they don't feel as heavy as foundation.

Another big mistake people make a lot is putting too much under their eyes, it's really easy for your makeup to settle into those lines which is why it's important to use something that will easily cancel out the color. If you try piling on a ton of concealer under your eyes, and then set it, it's not going to be pretty by the end of the day. I just use my pot concealer, then blend the edges with my foundation, and lightly set it with a peachy mineral powder (which right now is a sample from the All Natural Face). It's not perfect but it doesn't get really cakey or settle into my lines.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:05 pm 

Okay, I needed a cheap concealer to keep at the gym so I did some testing for you. I went to Target and got two concealers, this one in light:

http://www.eyeslipsface.com/elf/face/co ... _concealer

And this one in ivory because the color swatch on the packaging looked pretty peachy:

http://www.eyeslipsface.com/studio/face ... _concealer

The cheaper one might work better for you because although it is peachy, it's more leaning towards yellow/neutral. The studio concealer is straight peach.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:01 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Okay, I needed a cheap concealer to keep at the gym so I did some testing for you. I went to Target and got two concealers, this one in light:

http://www.eyeslipsface.com/elf/face/co ... _concealer

And this one in ivory because the color swatch on the packaging looked pretty peachy:

http://www.eyeslipsface.com/studio/face ... _concealer

The cheaper one might work better for you because although it is peachy, it's more leaning towards yellow/neutral. The studio concealer is straight peach.

Wow, that's extremely nice of you. I think I'll give elf another try. If it doesn't work out then I'm going to have to try lush and start practicing how to apply and blend it with other products. Thanks for all the input, everyone!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:32 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Another thought: sometimes makeup artists recommending wearing undereye concealer much lighter than your natural face color, because they expect that you'll also be wearing powder or foundation that is lighter than your face. Since you're not planning to wear other makeup, your concealer can't end up looking too many shades different from the surrounding skin.

I've learned the hard way that too-pale undereye circles look way freakier than dark ones. They make me look sort of... perpetually frightened?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:40 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Rebekah wrote:
Another thought: sometimes makeup artists recommending wearing undereye concealer much lighter than your natural face color, because they expect that you'll also be wearing powder or foundation that is lighter than your face. Since you're not planning to wear other makeup, your concealer can't end up looking too many shades different from the surrounding skin.

I've learned the hard way that too-pale undereye circles look way freakier than dark ones. They make me look sort of... perpetually frightened?

That might have been a few more times than I care to remember, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:40 am 

natnatnaz wrote:

That might have been a few more times than I care to remember, unfortunately.

I feel for you. Clearly we lived to tell the tale, though!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

There is a dark circle remedy in the book "How it All Vegan" that works for me. It lasts me about a week, or until I drink a beer. You just shred a potato, and put it in cheesecloth or pantaloon hose that the potato slime can drip through. Lie back with the potato on your eyes for about 20 minutes, then rinse. I can't vouch for it to work for everyone, but it doesn't cost very much to try it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:34 am 

Miss Jayme Kat wrote:
There is a dark circle remedy in the book "How it All Vegan" that works for me. It lasts me about a week, or until I drink a beer. You just shred a potato, and put it in cheesecloth or pantaloon hose that the potato slime can drip through. Lie back with the potato on your eyes for about 20 minutes, then rinse. I can't vouch for it to work for everyone, but it doesn't cost very much to try it.

Pantaloon hose! Delightful.

I'd be tempted to try this on one eye only, so I could compare results.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:27 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Miss Jayme Kat wrote:

Oooh I think i'll try this too...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:18 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

natnatnaz wrote:

I would say give it a try. Yellow mineral concealer works for me on just about anything without standing out. It took me a while to realize that I have yellow undertones, since my "baseline" skin tone is quite light, and for some reason I initially assumed "neutral". I have some southeastern European in there, which should have been a give-away. The green concealers to hide redness that I've tried have been too light, but the yellow ones work.