| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite Vegan Options at Kroger Grocery Store?
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:26 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I know that selection can vary from Kroger to Kroger, but tell me your favorite products, food or otherwise, that you buy at Kroger. I want to know if there is anything that I'm missing out on when I go, as it's the store closest to me. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Favorite Vegan Options at Kroger Grocery Store?
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:02 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I like buying their cases of flavored seltzer water. I also sometimes buy coconut milk and canned beans from there, when on sale. Mostly I just like Kroger because there's one close to me and I love checking out the clearance shelf. Also, they have a coupon app you can download, which automatically loads coupons to your Kroger card. Can't say they have a lot of exclusive products that are great for vegans, or particularly great value, though. I'd like to hear others' suggestions!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:05 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Is all the Simple Truth stuff Kroger? I shop mostly at Fred Meyer which is a Kroger store and I really like all the simple truth fake meats, esp the breakfast sausage and the chicken strips. Oh and the crumbles too

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:03 pm 

Yeah, Kroger and Fred Meyer are the same. I like the Simple Truth frozen fake meat stuff, but the strips are usually out of stock. Same thing with soymilk - my store routinely understocks it, which can be frustrating.

A note about the Simple Truth brand - you'll notice if you look closely at different products that what once said "Simple Truth Organic" now just says "Simple Truth." It's a bait-and-switch kind of branding they're doing, expanding the brand into non-organics while keeping the logo close enough that few customers will notice it's not actually organic. I'm not boycotting them or anything, it's just something that peas me off every time I'm there, especially considering the meaning a name like "Simple Truth!"

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

samanpka wrote:
A note about the Simple Truth brand - you'll notice if you look closely at different products that what once said "Simple Truth Organic" now just says "Simple Truth." It's a bait-and-switch kind of branding they're doing, expanding the brand into non-organics while keeping the logo close enough that few customers will notice it's not actually organic. I'm not boycotting them or anything, it's just something that peas me off every time I'm there, especially considering the meaning a name like "Simple Truth!"

yeah, this got me because i buy their Simple Truth unsweetened plain almond milk (which rocks) and last time i was like, "holy forkskies - it's gone up like twice in price!" it was because i had accidentally snagged the organic instead of the regular one.

i love their Simple Truth fake meats, too. the sausage patties, chick-un griller strips (so good for caesar salads!), and their crumbles are my absolute fav, oh - and my spouse adores the chick-un tenders. i am not a fan of the chick-un patties thought - great taste, but not so awesome on my tummy. as for their burgers - they're not too shabby, but i prefer the gardein ones or even the old school boca ones better.

their Private Selection hummus is really rad and i love the a lot of the bakery breads (rosemary-potato bread, multigrain, etc.), oh - and they have some really big and yummy whole wheat buns in the bakery section that rock for burgers and such. they're just so squishy and tasty!

i wanna say it's Private Selection pasta - not in a box, but in a little plastic bag - they have one called Italian Spaghetti noodles or something like that. it's my favorite pasta. we used to eat the whole wheat stuff (which is prolly better for ya), but the taste and texture of the Italiam Spaghetti noodles can't be beat!

Simple Truth tahini is like $3.00 less expensive and just as good and i love their organic peanut butter, too (and so does our dog, Sig, too!).

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:32 pm 
BAD PASS

I'm jealous. We have the Simple Truth brand at a Kroger-owned (?) store called Food 4 Less, but they don't have the Simple Truth fake meats. Just a sad section with 2-3 Morningstar varieties that share a section with non-veggie breakfast sausages for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:23 pm 

As far as I can tell the fake meats are pretty generic, kind of like Gardein I suppose, but there are more ounces per package. My store tends to put the Gardein on sale more often though, and with the Gardein coupons I have it usually works out cheaper to buy that.