| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Look at this crepe that was put up on etsy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

http://www.etsy.com/shop/youstupidbitch?page=1

Look at the first two cards, especially. This stuff is downright offensive. The second one has a picture of a rape victim huddling in a shower, and says, "congratulations, you got bad touched!"

Sign this petition to have the offensive items taken down: http://www.change.org/petitions/view/tell_etsy_to_remove_rape_congratulations_cards_from_website

Post subject: Re: Look at this crepe that was put up on etsy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:40 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I can't imagine too many people are buying those things. When would you ever give one out? I tried looking at them and imagining someone giving them out and I could'nt think of one instance when it would be funny. Even if you have a bunch of dark, sarcastic friends to give them to. Doesn't it cost money and/or licence to sell on Etsy? This person won't last long.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:42 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

graffitipassion wrote:
I tried looking at them and imagining someone giving them out and I could'nt think of one instance when it would be funny.

Except maybe the Jesus on the cross one...but even then, I've seen it before. So not at all original.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:08 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I agree that a couple of these are pretty offensive, but people say offensive shiitake all the time, and honestly, stuff that's quite a bit worse and more public than these cards. Not at all that this makes it okay, but I don't see this seller as a major social threat and I'd mostly just ignore him/her. But that's just me--I realized awhile ago that if I got my pantaloons in a bunch every time somebody said/did something offensive, I'd be wasting a whole lot of my energy that could be better used. I think this seller will drive himself into the ground without anybody else's help. If anything, trying to ban the seller might bring more attention to him than he would otherwise get. I know I never would have found him if not for this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:15 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I think some of them are pretty tacky. However I see this one as funny and might get it:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:21 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I would never want to impose on someone's right to express themselves freely and creatively no matter how offensive I found it. Once you take away one persons voice, even if it is dispicable and offensive and wrong, you should be prepared to have your voice taken away too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:53 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

RatsRGods wrote:
I would never want to impose on someone's right to express themselves freely and creatively no matter how offensive I found it. Once you take away one persons voice, even if it is dispicable and offensive and wrong, you should be prepared to have your voice taken away too.

There is a difference between telling Etsy that their making available cards that feature rape jokes is unacceptable and will cause a loss of business for them and "taking away [someone's] voice."

For one thing, we aren't talking about censorship, here. For another, there are some things that shouldn't be given airtime. This is one of those things.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:58 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Eh. The cards aren't that interesting to me but I am fairly sure Etsy has in their TOU that they are not responsible for what is sold on etsy. As long as the seller isn't violating etsy policy the cards are ok to sell. And it would be very hard for etsy to remove these cards and not have to remove a lot of other stuff that people would complain about. I bet they get a ton of requests each week about stuff someone would like to see removed.
I'd be watching this just to see what they end up doing, if they respond at all.
I don't like the cards but I don't see any legal reason etsy has to remove them.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:02 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

pandacookie wrote:
I don't like the cards but I don't see any legal reason etsy has to remove them.

I don't know much about etsy's TOU, but I agree with that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:16 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Pop! wrote:
If anything, trying to ban the seller might bring more attention to him than he would otherwise get. I know I never would have found him if not for this thread.

Yep.

They have rules about hatred/intolerance towards groups, but rape victims probably don't qualify as a protected class. I'd be on team Ignore it and Hopefully It Will Go Away. But I'd hate to see Etsy turn in a direction of people skating a thin offensive line trying to see what they can get away with.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:16 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

From the etsy website under things that cannot be sold:
"Items that promote or glorify hatred, racial, religious intolerance"

I figured they must have something like that in there but I can't see that these cards violate this rule. A legal person might know better than me though.
They could maybe be classified as mature but as the rules are currently written they don't fall into that category.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:18 pm 
protein lump

i'm going to go ahead and say the majority of the cards on here aren't offensive. just stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:29 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

And having scouted around a bit, yes the seller is getting a ton of hits from this. And most of their sales have come in the past 2 days, since this petition was started I assume. Whether or not they are legitimate sales I don't know.
But I do know that I will be making an offensive and stupid monster to get me some views too.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:25 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

pandacookie wrote:
And having scouted around a bit, yes the seller is getting a ton of hits from this. And most of their sales have come in the past 2 days, since this petition was started I assume. Whether or not they are legitimate sales I don't know.
But I do know that I will be making an offensive and stupid monster to get me some views too.

Not only that, but now some of these cards have 30k views! The petition is only helping out this shop! I'm so confused about why this petition was started, because no one had heard of this store and no one cared about it. It could have stayed that way

My friend just came up with something genius... maybe the shop creator started this petition!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:01 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I reported the rape, AIDS and down syndrome themed cards.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:46 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

pandacookie wrote:
Eh. The cards aren't that interesting to me but I am fairly sure Etsy has in their TOU that they are not responsible for what is sold on etsy. As long as the seller isn't violating etsy policy the cards are ok to sell. And it would be very hard for etsy to remove these cards and not have to remove a lot of other stuff that people would complain about. I bet they get a ton of requests each week about stuff someone would like to see removed.
I'd be watching this just to see what they end up doing, if they respond at all.

Yeah, these are horrendously tacky and offensive, but it doesn't seem like petitioning Etsy is the way to go on this one. If people are concerned, I imagine a message to the seller would probably be more effective. Etsy must receive literally hundreds of requests to take things down all the time. Think of the huge range of people using etsy. Do you think that the conservative christians who sell religious trinkets on there are unoffended by stuff like this:
but I don't think that means it should be taken down.

Etsy isn't a government agency, so this isn't really a freedom of speech issue, but it is kind of a slippery slope. If Etsy starts taking down stuff that is deemed offensive by people, it's going to be a pretty forking boring place to shop real soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:36 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Personally, I'm offended by their illustration style. Just awful. Okay, the content is offensive too. But I'm putting my vote in for ignoring them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:19 pm 
ol' garly cooch

RatsRGods wrote:

right on. freedom of speech often means freedom of speech i don't agree with.

*NOTE- i think the cards are just awful myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have a pretty warped sense of humour, but I don't find these funny. Not because I'm personally offended, but just because they're really lame jokes. Though it does amuse me to picture the sight of this seller flicking their long, black hair out of their eyes as they trawl 4chan for punchlines, then congratulating themselves for being so edgy before leaving their room to join their family for some of Mum's freshly baked apple crumble.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:00 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Erinnerung wrote:
...Though it does amuse me to picture the sight of this seller flicking their long, black hair out of their eyes as they trawl 4chan for punchlines, then congratulating themselves for being so edgy before leaving their room to join their family for some of Mum's freshly baked apple crumble.

Hahahaha Yes, I think you nailed it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:06 pm 
Naked Under Apron

RatsRGods wrote:

jewbacca wrote:
right on. freedom of speech often means freedom of speech i don't agree with.

i agree with jewy and ratsrgods. there are lots of things on the internet i don't want to see or even know about. that's why i have a finely worn back button on my laptop...

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:32 pm 
Saggy Butt

It looks like they took inspiration from someecards. Only someecards have better illustrations, are more witty, and don't go so far (i.e. rape, AIDS, Down Syndrome). I'm in the ignore it camp as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:09 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

An update to this. Apparently this store made it onto CNN because of the attention it was getting from that dang petition circulating around the internet. They had 7 sales before all this and now have 71. This person has gotten far more attention they they ever would have without the petition in the first place. And the cards are of course still up because etsy can't take them down which we knew before the whole thing started.
Thank you internet petition for highlighting a crepe shop and helping it to become successful.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:54 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

I don't see what's such a big deal. People make offensive, tactless things all the time, I deal with it by not buying them or drawing attention to them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:02 pm 
Huffs Nooch

There is no "free speech" on a privately run website, such as Etsy . . . however, the people who run Etsy are pretty liberal about what they allow to be sold via their website.
And yeah, what someone else said - rape survivors are not a constitutionally protected class.
I think the cards are extremely tacky and distasteful, but I'd just leave it at that . . . And it's a shame that all this negative publicity is actually helping them with sales! Hrmph!