| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: glitter sniffer cosmetic recall
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:14 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I remember this person used to post her links on the old boards and a number of people here bought stuff. She started doing non-vegan colors a while back, which was also posted here. A number of her pigments have been recalled:
"As requested, we are providing a list of all the pigments that are not eye safe which have been made between the years of 2006 and 2010. These are all included in our recall unless otherwise indicated."

See her website for details. glittersniffercosmetics.com/recall.html

Panda With Cookie

Post subject: Re: glitter sniffer cosmetic recall
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:19 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Yikes! Glad I didn't order any. The colors were cute, but makeup is one of those things that I stick to the pros for.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:11 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I wish I could say i'm shocked, but i'm not. I bought some pots from her and a sample pack that has none of the colors names on them so I have no idea what they are. I do have one of the pinks listed, though.

I stopped buying from them when I started feeling that the girl who runs it is kind of shady. No one is allowed to post negative reviews on the fan page. Some of the colors aren't vegan (even though the site and her etsy still said it was a 100% vegan company) and so I stopped trusting her to make vegan products. I had also read previously that the neon colors she was using (the 80's collection) were not safe for eyes.

And now that i'm looking at the facebook fan page i'm seeing that a) lots of people are bisqueing about unanswered emails and paypal disputes and b) some people are STILL using the recalled pinks! What!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:16 pm 

Quote:
Q: Why would you make pigments if you knew they were not eye safe?
A: There is a limit to the intensity and color that you can reach by using only eye safe pigments. I wanted to offer all the colors I possibly could. I have had no issues with the pigments, and in turn assumed that other people would not either. I see the weight of that decision now, and regret my decision to do so. Going forward, I will only ever use 100% vegan, FDA eye approved ingredients, even if it limits the colors I can create.

Well then. fork her.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:21 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

That quote is what bothered me the most.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:21 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Huh. I didn't know she was based in Detroit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:29 pm 
Mediocre Tart

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Quote:
A: There is a limit to the intensity and color that you can reach by using only eye safe pigments. I wanted to offer all the colors I possibly could. I have had no issues with the pigments, and in turn assumed that other people would not either. I see the weight of that decision now, and regret my decision to do so. Going forward, I will only ever use 100% vegan, FDA eye approved ingredients, even if it limits the colors I can create.

Holy crepe. I used to cover my eyelids in glitter-glue when I was 14 and had no issues (amazingly), but I wouldn't then think it was ok to sell it to other people for the same purpose. Crazy.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:39 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Quote:

Well then. fork her.

Holy fork!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:47 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

so un-vegan though promised vegan and not safe? nice.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:50 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Please forward this to anyone you know who uses her products. It said in the FAQ that there would be no recall notice sent out so there are a lot of people who may not hear about it. It also appears that some of the mixes that used reds may have been called vegan but weren't vegan and you can email to try to find out. I don't understand much about makeup so I don't quite understand this from the site:

Q: Did you know that all of your products weren’t vegan?
A: 100% of products sold by GS cosmetics were not vegan. All products sold through the official GS Website, however, were 100% vegan. Yes, we knew that not all of our reds were vegan, however the only ones that were not were Ariel and Dr. Seuss Red, and we made note of that in the listings on Etsy, where they were sold.

Q: Are all reds non-vegan?
A: No, only Ariel, the Dr. Seuss Red. All of the reds in the official GS full collection are vegan.

Q: What pigments, specifically, are not vegan? Why are they considered not vegan (ingredients, etc)?
A: It is really difficult for me to say exactly what pigments are not vegan, simply because I have made so many over the years. I know that is not the answer many people want to hear, but I am being 100% forthcoming with these answers, therefore they won't necessarily be what some hope them to be. I do keep recipes for things that I know I will be remaking, such as the website colors, but colors that I don't ever plan on making again, I, in the past, did not always write down what I had in each pigment. I typically remember what I used in each one of them, however since I didn’t write the names down, its hard for me to recall every pigment I’ve made off the top of my head. I can say, however, that the website colors and the colors that I sold on Etsy were of the majority, vegan. Only a few of the reds, which I always did make public at some point in time, were not vegan. Most of those reds would have been colors in collections, such as Ariel in the Twisted Princess Collection. I started with the intention of being 100% vegan, and then people starting wanting reds and I wanted to give people what they wanted, so I compromised that, and I take full responsibility for that. If anyone is concerned about if a specific red is or is not vegan, they are welcome to e-mail me.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:53 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I bought a pigment from her and received a lot of samples for magazine review. I thought she was shady from the get go, she spammed, her emails never were answered, her products did not seem safe. I used the shadow I bought a few times, hated the packaging, and never used the samples - since they screamed scary (neon pink mascara in a pot - mascara is something that should not be in a pot due to bacteria)...

I have concern about a lot of cosmetics that are handmade...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:29 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

missmuffcake wrote:
I thought she was shady from the get go, she spammed...

+1 that's not really how businesses should conduct themselves. don't use a forum to post your complete catalog, and bumping threads continuously. (especially when very few people respond.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:32 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

dakini wrote:
Yikes! Glad I didn't order any. The colors were cute, but makeup is one of those things that I stick to the pros for.

Yeah I remember her- and I have had enough bad reactions myself to cosmetics that as much as I like to support etsy and handmade- when it comes to make-up particularly to eye make up I also prefer to stick to brands that i trust.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:37 pm 
Inflexitarian

I ordered a few of her colors, used them a few times, and broke out with a rash badly. I sent them back, and quickly got refunded. I noted that on my feedback. I didn't think anything of it because I react to a lot of things that other people have no issue with. I was happy about the speedy refund as well. I guess I got lucky!
Pitty too. Her colors were pretty and the quality was good for the price.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:13 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i really like fyrinnae. (i rarely wear makeup, but the colors are stunning!) and they even let you buy 1/4 tsp for $2 if that's all you need.

http://www.fyrinnae.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:38 pm 
Chip Strong

If she's the person I'm thinking of, I remember her saying she used to leave samples of her stuff at MAC stores. Cool business model dude, almost as cool as using stuff you knew was unsafe to use around eyes just because "you didn't have a reaction from it."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:07 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Lixa wrote:
If she's the person I'm thinking of, I remember her saying she used to leave samples of her stuff at MAC stores.

Grimey...I would never go to a vegan bakery and throw around cookies in hopes of a order...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:32 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

http://glittersniffercomplaints.blogspot.com/
that website is also on a facebook group (no clue how to link that). I'm super pissed right now because most of my eyeshadow is glittersniffer. I bought a lot up, then noticed quality went in the crapper awhile ago. She's been a real bisque to work with in terms of getting a refund. She wants me to ship my stuff to her to get refunded when her paypal account is frozen-so I know I probably wouldn't get my money back and I'd be out the cost of shipping.
The all time favorite thing I read-she sold badger fur brushes but claimed they were ethically shaved badgers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:10 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

supercarrot wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
I thought she was shady from the get go, she spammed...

+1 that's not really how businesses should conduct themselves. don't use a forum to post your complete catalog, and bumping threads continuously. (especially when very few people respond.)

Yes, that bothered me on the old forums. She largely only posted to promote her own products and didn't really participate in the forums otherwise.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:50 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Tzippy wrote:

Yes, that bothered me on the old forums. She largely only posted to promote her own products and didn't really participate in the forums otherwise.

She was not veg so she could not really post recipes...Sucks right?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:21 am 
Inflexitarian

appifanie wrote:
so un-vegan though promised vegan and not safe? nice.

Seriously. Yikes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:04 am 
Ninja Master

I bought some of her eyeliners a while back and thought they were not great. In fact two of them were unusable as they weren't properly mixed and they just wouldn't go on. I don't like that there's no shade names on the pots either.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:35 am 
WRETCHED

Even though I'm not really a cosmetics type, I had friended GS on facebook. I mostly ignored it but noticed around Christmas time she was in a panic, closed the store, etc. It sounded like it was a shipping error, people ordered stuff, she didn't deliver it. Then she was offering people 'mystery grab bags' in lieu of their orders since she lost so many orders? I haven't noticed anything else since then but I haven't been on facebook much recently.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:11 am 

Business-wise, she is a hot mess. She seems to have a problem with setting boundaries between business and personal.

I don't understand how she still has supporters. There are pictures of pigments being mixed and packed without gloves, she was using soap dyes because she didn't care so why should her customers, and she mad a collection FOR little kids that was made using materials that she knew were unsafe. Who is cool with that and why?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:21 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

The business practices of this person is gross gross gross. I am appalled. I can't believe someone would conduct business in such an irresponsible way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next