| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:03 pm 
Saggy Butt
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:28 pm
Posts: 1200
COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!

_________________


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:38 am 
Ninja Master
User avatar
Online

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 4392
Location: Surrey, UK
YAY - about time!! I hope they start selling it over here soon too, I will look out for it.

_________________
I sure do love pumpkins, Cotton.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:15 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:10 pm
Posts: 2153
Location: Midlands, UK
Wow! I never thought I would see this day! They'd been trotting out the line about researching alternatives to egg for DECADES. Seems they weren't lying after all, they just have r e a l l y s l o w food techs!

_________________
"The lack of obstacles between me and cake is one of the best things about being a grownup for sure." - coldandsleepy

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:17 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes
User avatar
Online

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:17 pm
Posts: 5466
baps wrote:
YAY - about time!! I hope they start selling it over here soon too, I will look out for it.


Yeah, there's more chance of getting bars and things to add it to their menu if it's easily got. The market for quorn is already there too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:53 am 
Mediocre Tart
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4571
Location: under the skyscrapers
Yep, there was a thread about the burgers a wee while ago: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15694

_________________
"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine
"I have so much more creepiness inside of me that I should share with the world" - bastah


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:56 am 
Saggy Butt
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:28 pm
Posts: 1200
dropscone wrote:
Wow! I never thought I would see this day! They'd been trotting out the line about researching alternatives to egg for DECADES. Seems they weren't lying after all, they just have r e a l l y s l o w food techs!


I realize selling something in enterprise quantities is a different game, but people make vegan veggie burgers at home and other corporations make vegan burgers. Did/do they really need to research alternatives for eggs?

_________________


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:21 am 
Human Gravy
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:40 pm
Posts: 631
Location: DC Metro
beforewisdom wrote:

I realize selling something in enterprise quantities is a different game, but people make vegan veggie burgers at home and other corporations make vegan burgers. Did/do they really need to research alternatives for eggs?


Yeah, I kinda feel like a dick, but I'm like "woohoo... another veggie burger." Honestly, it seems like the market is flooded. And isn't Quorn best known for its "chick'n"?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:27 am 
Ninja Master
User avatar
Online

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 4392
Location: Surrey, UK
I used to think Quorn was pretty great before I went vegan. Nothing vegan that we can buy in the UK is as good (in my opinion). Frys is pretty good but it's only available in health food stores. Quorn is one of the few vegetarian brands that's in pretty much every supermarket here and even in some restaurants/pubs.

It's a texture thing with Quorn and that's what they always said was the reason they couldn't remove the egg. Hopefully they've come up with a decent alternative and can veganise some of their other products.

_________________
I sure do love pumpkins, Cotton.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:32 am 
Saggy Butt
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:28 pm
Posts: 1200
Allison, not Alison wrote:
Yeah, I kinda feel like a dick, but I'm like "woohoo... another veggie burger." Honestly, it seems like the market is flooded. And isn't Quorn best known for its "chick'n"?


Well, someone just told me that growing the mold for Quorn uses even fewer resources than growing legumes or grains. That could be a good thing with a world of 7 billion people who don't want to talk about population issues.

I have a friend who would love to be vegetarian, but she is allergic to soy, wheat gluten and dairy. I know that it would be inconvenient, but she could still do it ( I've experimented with giving up both ), but it would be a lot easier to convince people like her if their faux meats in restaurants made of things other than soy or gluten.

I know, that is far away.

Lupin based faux meats are popular in Europe. I know it is unlikely as lupin isn't grown as much in the US, but it would be cool if that could become popular here as well.

_________________


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:47 am 
Nailed to the V
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 550
Location: atx
My roommate has been eating these for a couple weeks. His 2 word review: "Pretty good."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:57 am 
Saggy Butt
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:28 pm
Posts: 1200
I've read that there is a minority of people for who the artificial mold from which Quorn is made will make violently ill ( vomiting, etc ) .

I will probably try their vegan burger when I get access to it, but it will be on a day when I have no obligations and will be near my bathroom at home :).

_________________


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:55 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:39 pm
Posts: 5706
beforewisdom wrote:
dropscone wrote:
Wow! I never thought I would see this day! They'd been trotting out the line about researching alternatives to egg for DECADES. Seems they weren't lying after all, they just have r e a l l y s l o w food techs!


I realize selling something in enterprise quantities is a different game, but people make vegan veggie burgers at home and other corporations make vegan burgers. Did/do they really need to research alternatives for eggs?

I suspect this has more to do with the patent running out than a break through in years of dedicated research. I think they were just being lazy or cheep before, but now that other companies could have the opportunity to come out with a vegan version of quorn they suddenly feel motivated to get on the ball and be the first to do so.

_________________
"I'm no elephant, but now I want molasses." -Moon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:18 pm 
Saggy Butt
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:28 pm
Posts: 1200
Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:
dropscone wrote:
Wow! I never thought I would see this day! They'd been trotting out the line about researching alternatives to egg for DECADES. Seems they weren't lying after all, they just have r e a l l y s l o w food techs!


I realize selling something in enterprise quantities is a different game, but people make vegan veggie burgers at home and other corporations make vegan burgers. Did/do they really need to research alternatives for eggs?

I suspect this has more to do with the patent running out than a break through in years of dedicated research. I think they were just being lazy or cheep before, but now that other companies could have the opportunity to come out with a vegan version of quorn they suddenly feel motivated to get on the ball and be the first to do so.


Wow, what an impressively shrewd and insightful point. I bow before your acumen.

_________________


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:29 am 
Hearts James Cromwell
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:52 am
Posts: 50
Location: England
I just want them to make the mince vegan. I used to eat it on a weekly basis before becoming vegan and it was tasty tasty.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:53 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:43 pm
Posts: 2315
Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
fork qorn

_________________
http://dumbveganfoodblog.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:14 pm 
Human Gravy
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:40 pm
Posts: 631
Location: DC Metro
Adam Crisis wrote:
fork qorn


word.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:36 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2791
Location: Boston, MA
Allison, not Alison wrote:
Adam Crisis wrote:
fork Korn


word.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:10 pm
Posts: 2153
Location: Midlands, UK
Well, I would say that, except that I think this might actually make some of my lazy (mostly supermarket-bought convenience foods-eating) vegetarian friends consider veganism again.

_________________
"The lack of obstacles between me and cake is one of the best things about being a grownup for sure." - coldandsleepy

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:32 am 
Chip Strong
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:08 pm
Posts: 978
baldtwitlion wrote:
I just want them to make the mince vegan. I used to eat it on a weekly basis before becoming vegan and it was tasty tasty.

No, the chicken style pieces. They were so good... so much better than real chicken and a nice change in texture from beans and burgers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:44 am 
WRETCHED
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 7989
Location: Maryland/DC area
I don't remember much about Quorn other than it was pretty good when I ate it the few times I had it. I didn't really appreciate it much because I was still eating meat at the time. And yeah I feel the same way, another veggie burger?

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:47 am 
Ninja Master
User avatar
Online

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 4392
Location: Surrey, UK
GreenDuck wrote:
baldtwitlion wrote:
I just want them to make the mince vegan. I used to eat it on a weekly basis before becoming vegan and it was tasty tasty.

No, the chicken style pieces. They were so good... so much better than real chicken and a nice change in texture from beans and burgers.

YES I loved those. And the crispy fillets were awesome. And the sausages, I haven't found vegan sausages yet that I like as much as I liked the quorn ones.

_________________
I sure do love pumpkins, Cotton.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 2191
Location: Wet and Windy Wiltshire
No! The Quorn sausages are nasty! They do do the best chicken impersonation, though.

_________________
dropscone - "Ack, I'm no help, I just like to imagine as many people as possible eating roast potatoes."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:43 pm 
Human Gravy
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:40 pm
Posts: 631
Location: DC Metro
Gulliver wrote:
No! The Quorn sausages are nasty! They do do the best chicken impersonation, though.


Right, so why didn't they figure out a vegan chickn? I mean, the only one that I really like is gardien, so it seems there is more room in that market than the veggie burger market.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:27 pm
Posts: 1957
Location: Ashevegas, NC
Gulliver wrote:
No! The Quorn sausages are nasty! They do do the best chicken impersonation, though.


I've never tried Quorn products, so I have nothing to contribute except that I love the irony of the phrase "chicken impersonation". . . shouldn't it be "chicken im-chicken-ation?"

_________________
"Some of my best friends hate Oreos. I once let one use my bathroom." -Shy Mox


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: COK Success: Quorn Launches First Vegan Product!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:57 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:40 pm
Posts: 886
lilyyw wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
No! The Quorn sausages are nasty! They do do the best chicken impersonation, though.


I've never tried Quorn products, so I have nothing to contribute except that I love the irony of the phrase "chicken impersonation". . . shouldn't it be "chicken im-chicken-ation?"


Chickens are people too.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MediumBoots and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer