| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:11 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I bought a lip marker one last weekend too. The bright pink which is more natural on my lips....

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I think I have that one. I have the super red one too and it's fantastic.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:52 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I've been on a mascara hunt for the past few months, so I thought I would throw in my opinions. For reference, I have a lot of lashes, but each one is very thin (like having fine hair), and they're a medium length. My biggest annoyance is when mascara causes 2 or 3 of my individual lashes to turn into one lash. If you have lashes with a normal circumference, this might not be as much of an issue for you. I used the Korres Abyssinia Mascara for years, but it was discontinued.

E.L.F. Studio Waterproof: At first I hated this one, but after wiping most of the mascara off the brush before using, I like it better. Despite being waterproof, it still flakes during the day. By the end of work, I have no mascara left on my bottom lashes, and a bunch left under my eyes. It also irritated my eyes, which led to rubbing, which led to even more wearing off.

Blinc: I just tried this one for the first time this morning. It definitely makes me look like I have less lashes (turning 3 into 1), didn't add any length, and I found it hard to apply. I've never had so many issues with mascara getting on my lids! The instructions online say to comb your lashes before it sets, but that resulted in even more getting on my lids! I might try using this to seal the ELF, but if that doesn't work I'll be returning it to Sephora. I might also try using it with a different brush, because the one it came with has huge spaces which might be contributing to gluing my lashes together.

Josie Maran: I got this as a free sample from Sephora. Overall it's good, but wears off too much during the day. Also, it apparently contains beeswax, but it was a free sample that came with other JM products, so I didn't notice at first.

Opinions on what I should try next?

I tweeted to Korres asking whether or not their two other mascaras are vegan. The ingredients look ok, but since Stearic Acid can be from animal or vegetable sources I wanted to double check. They don't have an e-mail for the USA contact and I sort of hate the phone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:04 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

i had a sample of the korres volcanic minerals and hated it....it was hard to apply, i didn't like the brush, and it was super clumpy. i like thick, fake looking lashes but this was a fail. i think the deep color mascara is good, i tried the abyssinian oil one but that dried up/ran out in only a month.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:58 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Korres got back to be that both are vegan! I might just buy both from Sephora and return them if they're bad. I tried using the Blinc over the E.L.F. today after I was happy with how the E.L.F. looked, and it still turned my lashes into spider city.

For those who love Blinc, is there something I'm missing? Should I try it with a different brush?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

bluedawg wrote:
my tube of barry m 3-in-1 is on its last legs, so when i ordered some new face atelier foundation from white rabbit, i decided to throw some BWC mascara in my cart as well. i picked the "full volume" version, in cocoa. we shall see.

i'm actually liking this stuff pretty well. the brush is very big and fluffy, so a little more what i'm used to, and i'm having great luck as far as long-lasting and no-flaking is concerned. i have this weird issue where my right eye looks great, and then i do my left eye and the brush is wetter or something, which is bizarre and i'm trying to figure out how that is happening...

Shandra wrote:
My biggest annoyance is when mascara causes 2 or 3 of my individual lashes to turn into one lash. If you have lashes with a normal circumference, this might not be as much of an issue for you.

holy crepe i hate that too. it drives me bananas. and it's exactly the left-eye-problem i've had with this BWC mascara a few times now. i think i'm gradually sorting it out, though.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Shandra wrote:
For those who love Blinc, is there something I'm missing? Should I try it with a different brush?

I like it for my bottom lashes only, but I LOVE it for those, because it doesn't smudge, and sort of creates a barrier to keep whatever mascara I'm wearing on my top lashes from smudging under my eyes. But as a general use mascara I wasn't impressed, didn't really add length or volume, and it weighed my lashes down so they looked droopy.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:07 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Barry M have a new mascara out called Lash Vegas which is vegan friendly and amazing. It's a bit watery at first but gave me super long lashes, but after a week or so, it had dried out a tiny bit and is even more amazing now and gives quite a bit of volume too. Love it and it's really reasonably priced.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:16 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

wowetflutter wrote:
Barry M have a new mascara out called Lash Vegas which is vegan friendly and amazing. It's a bit watery at first but gave me super long lashes, but after a week or so, it had dried out a tiny bit and is even more amazing now and gives quite a bit of volume too. Love it and it's really reasonably priced.

I just got that one, I love it too.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:42 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

what is the brush like for lash vegas?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:44 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

It's kind of thin, I tend to like fat brushes better, but this is still good. I found a review here that has a photo:

http://averageyournot.blogspot.com/2013 ... vegas.html

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:53 am 
Ninja Master

Interesting. I've heard a couple of good reviews on Lash Vegas now but my friend hated it. I might have to buy it and try it to see.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Quarantined wrote:
It's kind of thin, I tend to like fat brushes better, but this is still good. I found a review here that has a photo:

http://averageyournot.blogspot.com/2013 ... vegas.html

thanks! it sure looks great on that blogger's lashes, that's for sure. now i'm intrigued. i've tried the barry m 3-in-1 but not the barry m modeling, maybe i'll try lash vegas first.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:03 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

After having to renounce two of my choice mascaras in rapid succession due to the companies' bullshiitake (Origins & Urban Decay), I've been on the hunt. So far I've tried:

Laura Mercier Faux Lash Mascara - huge bushy brush, thick formula and the results are really very messy & clumpy. BUT I use a separate clean brush to comb out the clumps and then things look pretty good, thick and dramatic lashes. I'm not pleased about the extra effort required (especially considering the price) so this will be my 'special occasion' mascara.

ZuZu Luxe Onyx Mascara - just purchased this the other day so I don't know how it will perform in the long run. So far though I really like it! A good basic brush on it, not clumpy, separates lashes. It's pretty natural looking (but then I already have black lashes.) Good for everyday wear methinks.

Is Korres truly cruelty-free? No selling to china/evil parent company?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:06 pm 
Ninja Master

I thought korres were owned by Johnson and Johnson but apparently not. they just distribute it.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:14 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Lights, Cameras, Lashes is now on the vegan friendly page; I'm thinking about trying it next.

http://tartecosmetics.com/tarte-item-lights-camera-lashes-mascara

I'm also curious about the Laura Mercier because it seems like it's gentle for contact wearers--do you wear contacts, L. Bloom, or have issues with any mascara sensitivity?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So I haven't emailed yet to check on this, but it looks vegan, and if it is I am soooooo excited. It's a clear waterproof topcoat for after you put on mascara. My friend tried it and she raved about it, said it fluffs your lashes amazingly, and it really is waterproof. I haven't had trouble finding vegan mascaras I like, but UD Lush Lash was the only one I found that I liked that didn't smudge on long days on my oily skin. This could be the best product ever.

http://www.anastasia.net/lash-genius.html

I'm gonna email and I'll post the response.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The Sephora website says that Laura Mercier Faux Lash mascara has beeswax, is that bad info? Does anyone have a link to an ingredient list?

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:05 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

jessilikewhoa wrote:
The Sephora website says that Laura Mercier Faux Lash mascara has beeswax, is that bad info? Does anyone have a link to an ingredient list?

The Laura Mercier website lists synthetic beeswax: http://www.lauramercier.com/store/shop/ ... prod690002

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Now I'm excited.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:58 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

ndpittman wrote:
Lights, Cameras, Lashes is now on the vegan friendly page; I'm thinking about trying it next.

http://tartecosmetics.com/tarte-item-lights-camera-lashes-mascara

Oh I want to try too!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:09 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Thanks for the Korres information, baps.

Indeed the packaging on my L.M. Faux Lash lists synthetic beeswax. I realize that I was relying on second-hand information that it is completely vegan though, so I just wrote to Laura Mercier to confirm (in case any of the unfamiliar chemical ingredients are animal-derived.) So stay tuned, I will post their response as soon as I receive it.

Some of the Laura Mercier mascaras are certainly not vegan though as they contain carmine.

ndpittman, I haven't worn contacts lately and I've never been sensitive to mascara, so unfortunately I can't weigh in. I can say that the Faux Lash isn't flakey for me though, so that's a positive in terms of contact wear.

The tarte one looks promising! Too bad I'm all set in the mascara department for a good 6 months.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Anastasia wrote me back and the Lash Genius is vegan. I'm going to get some in the next few weeks and I'll post my results.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:17 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I received confirmation that Laura Mercier Faux Lash is vegan, in case there were doubts (I suppose the stearic acid was suspect.)
Their laconic reply to my enquiry:

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. This mascara is considered vegan friendly.

CUSTOMER CARE
Toll Free 1.888.MERCIER"

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:05 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Pacifica is coming out with a vegan mascara.

Reply to topic  [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next