| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:57 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Whoa, it says it's in stock here! I looked for the perfumes half-assedly because that's what everyone seems to have, but I didn't really look in the makeup area because: asparagus, u, me.

The Target is literally three minutes from my house. And i'm already wearing a bra. It's like fate.

ETA: I fixed this urge by looking at the post-it on my monitor of how much Chester's ashes cost, then looked at the bank account, and then realized that payday is over a week away. Urge curbed!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:13 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

But at least you know it's there! None of mine have had the mascara, but they have the one eyeshadow palette (nice) and the coconut shimmer things (which I hated, they are awful) and some of the lip tints. Hopefully they'll expand the collection eventually. I want to try the bb cream but swatches online all look too dark.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:16 pm 

I actually just picked a random product (which was the coconut shimmers) to see if they had any - it looks like Target doesn't have the mascara listed at all. Target has all of the Pacifica stuff on sale on their site for a little bit, though.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:24 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

They'll probably get it eventually. I have everything I want from them right now, although I am tempted by the new Solar palette. Because Lard knows I need more makeup. (No I don't.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:12 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I cracked open the Pacifica mascara this morning. My opinion is a resounding meh. As predicted, the results are very natural. It's better than nothing, but it doesn't do enough for me to consider buying it again. Here's a picture of what it looks like on - this is about 3 coats. I have pretty long lashes to begin with, so while it made my eyelashes darker and defined them a bit, it didn't really add much in the way of length or volume. My goal is basically drag lashes, so this is just not enough for me. I'll report back later tonight re: longevity and whatnot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:42 am 

That sucks. I feel a tube of ELF mascara around for 'natural' lashes (which is a joke because my lashes are naturally blonde and therefore invisible), if i'm paying more than $3 for mascara I want to look ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:44 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

thanks for the review/pic. huh, disappointing, guess I'll stick to Barry M for now. And your review of the coconut shimmer things are noted too. I also want that Solar palette but I noticed yesterday that what I thought were lip glosses in it are actually those same coconut shimmer things, so dunno whether I still really want that palette now anyway. I might just go for one of the eye palettes as my first Pacifica purchase. At least I've narrowed down what I want to buy from them somewhat. The eyeliner gels do look interesting too.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:58 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

mrsbadmouth wrote:
That sucks. I feel a tube of ELF mascara around for 'natural' lashes (which is a joke because my lashes are naturally blonde and therefore invisible), if i'm paying more than $3 for mascara I want to look ridiculous.

Same here. For $14 I want it to literally look like I am wearing falsies.

Quarantined wrote:
thanks for the review/pic. huh, disappointing, guess I'll stick to Barry M for now. And your review of the coconut shimmer things are noted too. I also want that Solar palette but I noticed yesterday that what I thought were lip glosses in it are actually those same coconut shimmer things, so dunno whether I still really want that palette now anyway. I might just go for one of the eye palettes as my first Pacifica purchase. At least I've narrowed down what I want to buy from them somewhat. The eyeliner gels do look interesting too.

Are they the same? My main beef with the coconut shimmers was that I couldn't use them for any of the intended purposes. Also the texture was really kind of... greasy? And even using the lightest one as a highlighter, it faded really fast. I actually reviewed it on my mostly perfume/sometimes beauty blog that I haven't updated in 17 years. I reviewed one of the eyeshadow palettes as well (I took swatches of the other one but haven't posted about it yet, because I am very bad at blogging), and that I do recommend. The eyeshadows are the best thing I've used from them so far.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:27 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I was complaining to my husband last night about how nobody has made a really great dramatic big fat fake eyelashes vegan mascara. It's not impossible! I have two Essence mascaras that could or could not be vegan, they contain stearic acid and glyceryl stearate from unknown sources, and Essence's response to my email was basically "we don't know, and we aren't gonna bother to find out to tell you". Anyway, those are the only possible non-vegan ingredients, which are both easily substituted for identical vegan ingredients. The mascaras use synthetic beeswax. They make your lashes HUGE and super black. So a vegan company could do this. Easily. And evidently based on Essence's prices they could do it inexpensively.

I wish I was all science-y and could formulate cosmetics because I would rectify the hell out of this situation. I feel like there's still a misconception out there, apparently even in the companies that make vegan cosmetics, that vegans are all really crunchy granola hippie types interested in soft earth toned makeup that looks natural.

Meanwhile I'm over here trying to look like Cyndi Lauper.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:45 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

jessilikewhoa wrote:
I wish I was all science-y and could formulate cosmetics because I would rectify the hell out of this situation. I feel like there's still a misconception out there, apparently even in the companies that make vegan cosmetics, that vegans are all really crunchy granola hippie types interested in soft earth toned makeup that looks natural.

I think this is totally true. And while I generally prefer soft, neutral eye makeup, when it comes to blush, lipstick, mascara - I want big and bright! I want orange and hot pink and big fat mile-long lashes. I'm so intrigued by these Essence mascaras, I wish they would give you a real response! When it comes to ingredients like that that could go either way, I'm guilty of sometimes just defaulting to "vegan enough for me," but I'd rather not have to make that decision at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:49 am 

You guys are making me think of this.

http://youtu.be/VWANjRj4uks?t=4m38s

The stupid embedding tags aren't working.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:07 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Okay, not THAT BIG. But yes, I am some kind of makeup spy, thanks for asking.

P.S. That video made me choke on my lunch. Well done.

Last edited by amandabear on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

amandabear wrote:
jessilikewhoa wrote:

I think this is totally true. And while I generally prefer soft, neutral eye makeup, when it comes to blush, lipstick, mascara - I want big and bright! I want orange and hot pink and big fat mile-long lashes. I'm so intrigued by these Essence mascaras, I wish they would give you a real response! When it comes to ingredients like that that could go either way, I'm guilty of sometimes just defaulting to "vegan enough for me," but I'd rather not have to make that decision at all.

I'm definitely not judging, I own those mascaras because I made the "vegan enough for me" choice, and then I feel guilty, and then I'm like "but they might be vegan!" and then I feel guilty.

Anyway, if you're in to really bright lipstick and don't have the finances to buy every lip tar ever, check out the Wet n Wild Mega Last lipsticks. The entire line of Mega Last lipsticks is vegan and they have some really great colors, including a great orange, and a few really great pinks. I think I have nearly every color. Lately I've been into Don't Blink Pink which is basically neon pink meets fuchsia. It's fantastic.

Oh, and the Josie Maran Coconut Water Cheek Gelee gel blushes are awesome, and bright, and the coral one is very orange. Also OCC Creme Color Concentrate in Grandma is the best pinky orange coral cream blush ever.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I would rock lashes like that, with a bandit face mask. It's a nice daytime look, like for running to the grocery store.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

You just named my favorite lipsticks and two items currently on my wish list! My favorite Wet n Wild's are Purty Pursimmon and Smokin Hot Pink. I was playing with the coral and the poppy cheek gelees at Sephora and I neeeeed them. Grandma is also on my list, though I wonder if it's too similar to Too Faced's Prim & Poppy cream blush? Which I love, btw, highly recommend.

I don't generally feel compelled to buy questionable products like that, just because it's not that hard to find definitely vegan ones, but I find mascara particularly vexing. It's funny, for me at least, the makeup thing is way harder than the food thing ever was, I think just because it's so much more difficult to find out if a product is actually vegan. You know? In any case, everyone's talking up this Barry M mascara, I wish you could get it in the states!

Edit: WAIT ASOS HAS BARRY M STUFF! Ahh. Which one is vegan/awesome?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Mascara is the only questionably vegan thing I buy too (or one of two things, I buy cheap synthetic shoes without knowing where the glue is from, because I can't afford nice vegan shoes, plus I have fat feet so I need my wide widths). Everything else is so easy, but every vegan mascara I've bought has made me go "meh." Even UD Lush Lash was good, but not dramatic enough, and I lack the patience to deal with false lashes every day.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:46 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I've never even considered the glue in my el cheapo Target flats. Ugh. I have wide feet too, it's really super annoying.

I've never used Lush Lash... I'd kind of like to try it but I'm not sure how I feel about buying from UD now. I've never really been able to decide how I feel about parent companies. I've never successfully put on false lashes, so that's not even something I consider. I was using the Tarte mascara until my tube ran out and I would've bought it again if it hadn't flaked so badly, because it added a lot of length.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

amandabear wrote:
Edit: WAIT ASOS HAS BARRY M STUFF! Ahh. Which one is vegan/awesome?

Not sure if Asos has it but right now I'm liking the Lash Vegas and the Lash Modelling from Barry M. I just order from their website, the shipping isn't too bad, but it can be slow. All their mascara is vegan. if you look at their website it tells you which products are vegan when you click on the ingredients for each one.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I bought the Tarte one, and it is nice for length, but I already have a lengthening mascara I love, the Wet n Wild Mega Length (regular, not waterproof, the waterproof isn't vegan) which also makes my lashes really black. I just want a really nice plumping mascara.

If you have trouble with mascara flaking try the Anastasia Lash Genius waterproof top coat, I emailed them and it's vegan, and amazing. It makes any mascara waterproof and prevents smudging and flaking.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:02 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Quarantined, they do have both of those! And free shipping, so that's pretty awesome. They don't have a ton of the products, but I think I'm going to grab a mascara or two and a few eyeshadows. The brush on the Lash Vegas look plastic and spiky - is it? I hate those brushes. I like the old school bristle kind. The plastic ones seem to make my lashes clumpy, despite their claims to the contrary.

Jesslikewhoa, I tried and hated that Wet n Wild mascara. It was so disappointing since I'd read good reviews! Most mascaras don't flake on me, which is why the Tarte one was notable. It's possible my tube was getting dry, though - I can't remember if it flaked when I first got it or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:29 pm 

I had the plastic-y brushes because when my eyes are sensitive, sometimes putting mascara on the base makes the brush touch my eyelid right there next to my eye, and I blink violently. With fresh mascara on. And that only happens with those kinds of brushes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:56 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

jessilikewhoa wrote:
amandabear wrote:
jessilikewhoa wrote:

I'm definitely not judging, I own those mascaras because I made the "vegan enough for me" choice, and then I feel guilty, and then I'm like "but they might be vegan!" and then I feel guilty.

Anyway, if you're in to really bright lipstick and don't have the finances to buy every lip tar ever, check out the Wet n Wild Mega Last lipsticks. The entire line of Mega Last lipsticks is vegan and they have some really great colors, including a great orange, and a few really great pinks. I think I have nearly every color. Lately I've been into Don't Blink Pink which is basically neon pink meets fuchsia. It's fantastic.

Oh, and the Josie Maran Coconut Water Cheek Gelee gel blushes are awesome, and bright, and the coral one is very orange. Also OCC Creme Color Concentrate in Grandma is the best pinky orange coral cream blush ever.

I am so ridiculously excited that Josie Maran Coconut Water Cheek Gelee gel blushes is vegan! I got the sheer passion maracuja hydrating cheek tint from tarte when I ordered Lights, Camera, Lashes, but I think it's going to be discontinued because it's on sale and the Josie Maran looks easier to work with. Another aside: I love the Amazonian clay mineral bronzer! The thing that makes me wonder about tarte though is that sometimes things will disappear from the vegan makeup page. Anyone else notice this?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i have both of those as well (lash vegas and modeling), from asos, and i have now tried lash vegas twice and modeling once. lash vegas has a really weirdly shaped brush, but i think it's regular bristles. the modeling brush is plastic, which is a new one on me. very pointy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:11 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

Thanks MBM and bluedawg!

I'll do a search, then.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:12 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

amandabear wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

Are they the same? My main beef with the coconut shimmers was that I couldn't use them for any of the intended purposes. Also the texture was really kind of... greasy? And even using the lightest one as a highlighter, it faded really fast. I actually reviewed it on my mostly perfume/sometimes beauty blog that I haven't updated in 17 years. I reviewed one of the eyeshadow palettes as well (I took swatches of the other one but haven't posted about it yet, because I am very bad at blogging), and that I do recommend. The eyeshadows are the best thing I've used from them so far.

sorry missed this. I think they're the same? the palette says "the coconut highlighters in two new shades plus Island Rose":

http://www.pacificaperfume.com/eyes/solar-palette

The shimmers have one shade called Island Rose:

http://www.pacificaperfume.com/face/rad ... -multiples

So I guess there might be two new shades but if the formula isn't good as you say I'm not very interested.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next