| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:05 pm 
Offline
Who's Ted Leo?
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 7221
Location: Modesto, CA
I have bought 2 WnW mascaras in the last week, both are bee product free!

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:05 am 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 9636
Location: SW Desert, USA
Quarantined wrote:
Meggs wrote:
Well crepe, it has the cruelty-free bunny on the packaging...

maybe it is vegan and they just mistakenly left it off the page- it's annoying when companies don't list ingredients on the website. Does the packaging list ingredients?
Damn it, it has stearic acid, panthenol/provitamin B5. I saw the cruelty free symbol and the fact that it uses caranuba and rice bran wax. Why is the bunny on there, then? Why would they make a cruelty free line, and also a different cruelty free & vegan line? That is frustrating.

Now I know. I need to memorize non-vegan ingredients. I just remembered that tarte products were mentioned in this thread and the 4-day stain sounded odd & a little scary to me, so I went for something that looked more normal. Thanks, Quarantined!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:27 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:47 pm
Posts: 1868
Location: NC
I'm so happy I discovered the veganness of wet-n-wild! I got one last week and love it so far. No flaking and it's so cheap! I need to write the company and thank them so they know vegans are paying attention.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:00 am 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6517
Location: Boston, MA
Has anyone tried the Gabriel cosmetics mascara? I could go back through the thread and see if it's mentioned, but I'm being lazy...

I was checking it and a BWC one and the both had big fat brushes! I know the Wet'n'Wild would be cheaper, but I don't know. I'm just not into it.

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:47 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2834
Location: Boston, MA
I've used Gabriel, and have used BWC in the past and am actually using their newish paraben-free ones right now. I think Gabriel was fine. A lot of people like the Zuzu Luxe mascara, which is sort of a sister company of Gabriel. I feel like the Gabriel is wetter than Zuzu Luxe and smudges more easily.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:05 am 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 1789
Location: MA
I actually used to really like the BWC one (I used the regular, not waterproof). It's a really natural look, but you can layer like crazy and it didn't clump or flake off. I stopped because I've been looking for something with a little more oomph. I didn't realize they changed them though! I wonder if the new formula acts differently.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:11 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2834
Location: Boston, MA
The new paraben-free ones are in the dark tubes with designs on them- I like them fine, I really don't notice any difference from the old formulas- I use to use the waterproof and the volume one or whatever it's called.

god, all the vegan mascaras I've used over the years are starting to blend together in my mind though. I guess I'm always looking for something with more "oomph" too.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:13 am 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 1789
Location: MA
Ah yes, I just discovered that the old silver tubes are still on the BWC site.

I know what you mean too, I'm always like "Did I like that Aveda one?" I can't remember. I guess I haven't loved anything enough to stick with it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:18 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2834
Location: Boston, MA
yep that's how I feel too, like I think I've tried every single mascara but none of them stand out.

Actually thinking about it I think maybe the Barry M 3-in-1 was the best mascara I've used, if any UK peeps want to swap me.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:19 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6517
Location: Boston, MA
I am liking the Korres Abyssinian Oil Mascara, but like everyone else, I want more oomph! It does bulk up pretty well, but I guess I want a bigger, better deal.

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:21 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2834
Location: Boston, MA
ndpittman wrote:
I am liking the Korres Abyssinian Oil Mascara, but like everyone else, I want more oomph! It does bulk up pretty well, but I guess I want a bigger, better deal.

used that one for a while, I think, or was it the other Korres one? but yeah, I agree it needs more oomph. I also found the tube dried up on me really fast.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:13 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:53 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Joliet, IL
Ampner wrote:
jessilikewhoa wrote:
We are happy to say that our MegaLength Mascara (as well as all our other
mascaras) are vegan!

This was awesome information but it seems to have changed. I spent a long while staring at two packages of what seemed like the same WnW Megaplump mascara until I figured out the difference is that one is waterproof and one is washable. The waterproof one (maybe it's new) contains beeswax. http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wet-n-wild-megaplump-waterproof-mascara/ID=prod6015784-product. The packages are really really similar. I ended up buying the Megavolume (washable) and it's a-okay.


The waterproof one is pretty new, it came out early this year if I remember right, but that's still stupid about the list they sent me, because they definitely sent that list after the new stuff came out.

_________________
In addition to BB creams, we now have CC creams and even DD creams. Where's my ZZ cream? I need help growing a sweet beard.-amandabear

twitter @jessilikewhoa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:25 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2834
Location: Boston, MA
bottom line you can't really trust companies to say if their products are vegan, because a lot of them don't understand what that means. I think you have to go by a combo of asking what's vegan, but also asking about specific ingredients and then double checking the ingredients lists.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:26 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:53 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Joliet, IL
That's what I did, I asked about the Megalength, specifically the Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, Oleic Acid, Panthenol, and Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, and that was the response I received.

I hate ingredients that can come from plant or animal sources, which seem to be in everything, stearic acid is in almost every product I own, and it's so hard to find out.

I'm really disappointed that Wet n Wild is sending out old information when asked direct questions. Sorry if I accidentally led anyone astray.

_________________
In addition to BB creams, we now have CC creams and even DD creams. Where's my ZZ cream? I need help growing a sweet beard.-amandabear

twitter @jessilikewhoa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:33 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2834
Location: Boston, MA
sorry if that sounded a bit harsh, I wasn't pointing fingers at you at all and I think the WnW info is still awesome to know about.

I think generally if a company says their products are vegan then some turn out not to be, it tends to be something like beeswax which they may not even realize is not vegan. The upside is that beeswax is easier to ferret out than stuff like stearic acid which can be plant or animal as you say.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:49 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:53 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Joliet, IL
Sorry if I was defensive, I'm just miffed I was given false info, because then I passed it on, and now I feel like the CEO of the Jerkstore.

_________________
In addition to BB creams, we now have CC creams and even DD creams. Where's my ZZ cream? I need help growing a sweet beard.-amandabear

twitter @jessilikewhoa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:05 am 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 9636
Location: SW Desert, USA
jessilikewhoa wrote:
Sorry if I was defensive, I'm just miffed I was given false info, because then I passed it on, and now I feel like the CEO of the Jerkstore.
You're not. I feel like an asparagus that I don't know vegan ingredients and I bought something that was labeled "cruelty free" (and even has a cute bunny on it!) but is obviously not vegan.

Tarte, how is it "cruelty free" when you use animal products? Clearly, we have differing opinions on what those words mean.

You still gave super valuable info on some WnW products! I'm going to go see if I can find the non-waterproof one.
(That one is vegan, right? I don't want to have buyer's remorse again.)

Also, "CEO of the Jerkstore" is a cute phrase that I'm going to use in the future when applicable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:46 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2834
Location: Boston, MA
jessilikewhoa wrote:
Sorry if I was defensive, I'm just miffed I was given false info, because then I passed it on, and now I feel like the CEO of the Jerkstore.

nope not at all, I definitely sounded condescending in my post. I have become unnaturally obsessed with mascara.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:49 am 
Offline
Chip Strong
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 998
Location: LxFxOxDx/Thrashachusetts
Don't feel bad, jesslikewhoa! This shiitake is confusing. Melisser has had to revise her list multiple times, Urban Decay had to backtrack and say their Primer Potion had some lanolin or something in it after touting it as vegan for a few years. People didn't even really care too much about this until very recently for the most part, and I think it's changing now for the better and will get easier. I have a lot of hope when I see companies like Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics come out and make it a point to be 100% vegan.

_________________
"Oh boy. First of all, William Shakespeare's Dildo Liberal Arts College has a great Art History program. Leave them out of this."-Hoveringdog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:12 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:53 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Joliet, IL
You guys are great! I'm so happy I finally joined the boards and stopped lurking.

Meggs, according to that e-mail the regular MegaLength mascara is vegan, and I know it doesn't have carmine or beeswax, the usual culprits. I've never had a problem with it smearing or flaking either, except it can smear while it's drying because it's pretty wet, but once it's on, it doesn't budge. At least not on my top lashes, I don't wear mascara on the bottom, so I can't say for there.

For anyone who wants to double check, these are the ingredients in the regular MegaLength per CVS's website
Water/Eau, Glyceryl Stearate, Acrylates Copolymer, Paraffin, Stearic Acid, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Triethanolamine, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Oleic Acid, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Xanthan Gum, Panthenol, Polyquaternium-10, Chlorphenesin, Propylene Carbonate, Trisodium EDTA, Simethicone, Methylisothiazolinone, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Methylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Iron Oxides/CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499.

I Googled all the ingredients, then asked about Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, Oleic Acid, Panthenol, and Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, because as far as I could tell those were the ones that could come from animals, and they said the product is vegan.

_________________
In addition to BB creams, we now have CC creams and even DD creams. Where's my ZZ cream? I need help growing a sweet beard.-amandabear

twitter @jessilikewhoa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:42 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:17 pm
Posts: 703
Location: East Of L.A.
Has anyone else tried the new elf mineral infused mascara? I've had mine for about a week now and I like it better than the other two I have tried before. It's not as clumpy/sticky as the waterproof one, at least not for me. I was about to give up on my $3 mascara but I guess I am okay for now. I'm not working right now so I definitely have to keep on budget.

_________________
"A dozen donuts for two people is totally reasonable. A dozen donuts for just one person, also totally reasonable." - hoveringdog™

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:54 pm 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 9636
Location: SW Desert, USA
Thanks, jesslikewhoa! I'm going to have to give that a try. I appreciate your review of it, as well.

boychucker, how does it hold up flake/smudge-wise?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:23 pm 
Offline
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 7723
Location: Portland
I bought the Origins Fringe Benefits today. I haven't used it yet, but I am looking forward to tomorrow morning! I really was impressed by their stuff when I looked at it at Macy's today. The majority of it is vegan and says "made without animal products" on the label, which a clueless person like me really appreciates.

_________________
If you spit on my food I will blow your forking head off, you filthy shitdog. - Mumbles
Don't you know that vegan meat is the gateway drug to chicken addiction? Because GMO and trans-fats. - kaerlighed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:41 pm 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:18 pm
Posts: 200
boychucker wrote:
Has anyone else tried the new elf mineral infused mascara? I've had mine for about a week now and I like it better than the other two I have tried before.

I just picked one up today (along with a couple of other e.l.f. stuff to ttest out), but haven't had a chance to try it! I'll have to report back.

People who have tried the Tarte Four Day Stay: does it just stain the lashes or does it provide some volume too?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mascara
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:23 pm 
Offline
Who's Ted Leo?
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 7221
Location: Modesto, CA
The Tarte stuff is more of a stain, very natural looking .

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer