| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deodorant that won't kill you
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:02 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I just read that Tom's of Maine donates to anti-choice/pro-life organizations. Say it ain't so, PPK!!

Anyway, does anyone know of a deodorant that is harshy-chemical-free (no aluminum, etc) and doesn't donate to, um, anti-choice organizations, or whatever? And possibly even keeps one from smelling bad? I tried searching for "Tom's of Maine" in the forums but couldn't find anything.

Post subject: Re: Deodorant that won't kill you
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:08 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

here's a good thread: http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5340&hilit=deodorant

Deodorant is stressful for me too!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:30 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Where did you read that? I don't use their deodorant, but I am very attached to their toothpaste. If I spend 60 hours a week working for a pro-choice organization, surely my toothpaste is inconsequential? Hmm.

I use horrible aluminium chemical deodorant though, so I can't really help.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

https://tomsofmaine.custhelp.com/app/an ... ttaw%3D%3D

Quote:
Is it true that your company and Tom and Kate support anti-abortion groups?

No, this is not true. It is a rumor that has been circulating for some time. We do not, nor have we ever, taken a stand on the abortion issue, either for or against. We hope that the individuals responsible for starting the rumor and for repeating it will stop.

We are very proud of our charitable donations. At the present time, we donate 10% of our pre-tax dollars to charitable organizations. The majority of these are environmental organizations, the arts, and charitable groups such as homeless shelters. Tom's of Maine has never taken a position on reproductive issues as a company nor have we made any corporate contribution or grant to any organization whose mission is to change existing laws governing abortion or access to it. Because Tom's of Maine respects the diverse opinions of our owners, employees, customers, and retail partners, we do not believe it is appropriate for us to advocate for a specific political viewpoint as a company.

While we respect that abortion is an important issue for many people, we do not feel it is our place as a company to interfere in such a private and personal matter. Instead we show our interest in a better world by encouraging participation in community building and engagement with environmental issues. Issues such as these are transformative and hold the potential to unite us in the pursuit of common goals instead of dividing us into rigid political factions.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:03 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Okay, I guess I will buy what they are saying on their FAQ! Who would start such a nasty rumor, though?! Argg!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:14 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Tom's of Maine is owned by Colgate-Palmolive, so it's possible that it's the parent company accused of making the donations. (I'm not aware of any such accusations.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:52 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jessica_weirdly wrote:
Okay, I guess I will buy what they are saying on their FAQ! Who would start such a nasty rumor, though?! Argg!

I don't know if you're old enough to remember the days of the satanic panic, but some Christians were urging a boycott of Proctor & Gamble because they (supposedly) were financially supporting the Church of Satan. I don't know why people start shiitake like this, but they do...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:45 am 
WRETCHED

hoveringdog wrote:
jessica_weirdly wrote:

I don't know if you're old enough to remember the days of the satanic panic, but some Christians were urging a boycott of Proctor & Gamble because they (supposedly) were financially supporting the Church of Satan. I don't know why people start shiitake like this, but they do...

I remember that well because Catholic church bulletins had things about not supporting P&G. From my understanding, its not people that start the rumors, its competing companies that do it.

P&G had a moon symbol on their products back then, they had to get rid of due to the rumor.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

what a strange rumor to start. its like theyre Poppie from seinfeld!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:12 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Yeah my guess is the rumor started because of something to do with their ties to colgate/palmolive. I would definitely suggest getting a new deodorant anyways, like many people state in that thread already linked, most people have found tom's to increase their bodies BO. I had used Tom's for years and I wasn't sure this was true for me, but I have since stopped and am using the crystal thingy for about 6 months now, and I can now sometimes forget completely to wear deodorant and it's fine. Also if you are looking for a different toothpaste, Jason's is nice.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:55 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Just curious, but why would you stop using someone's products because they support life? I don't understand.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:59 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I would assume because the OP is pro-choice, but this isn't a thread to debate abortion in. Back to debating deodorant!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:03 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yes, true. I noticed my crystal has stopped working for me, but only my left armpit! It is so strange.
Has anyone ever broke their crystal (a large chunk fell off after I dropped it on accident) and then it didn't work the same?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:07 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I didn't drop mine but it did just stop working one day after about two months of use. I think it happens to some people.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:32 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I use the Kiss My Face Active Enzyme deoderant and it's awesome! (I used to sweat so bad that I had to use drysol for months to dry me out, but still sweat "normally" now) It, for some reason, didn't work as well for my boyfriend, but after trying many natural deoderants, this is the one for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

LizTheWiz wrote:
I use the Kiss My Face Active Enzyme deoderant and it's awesome! (I used to sweat so bad that I had to use drysol for months to dry me out, but still sweat "normally" now) It, for some reason, didn't work as well for my boyfriend, but after trying many natural deoderants, this is the one for me.

This is what I'm using right now, and it works great.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:03 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

With respect to the crystal deodorant, it does still have aluminum in it. I don't buy their argument that the form of aluminum in the crystal won't absorb into your skin.

Edited to add that I'm not an expert, i just don't believe the rationale given on their website as to why it's "safer"

Last edited by couroupita on Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:06 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

couroupita wrote:
With respect to the crystal deodorant, it does have aluminum in it. I don't buy their argument that the form of aluminum in the crystal won't absorb into your skin.

Really? I just thought it was a salt stick ....
This one I use. Image

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:29 pm 
WRETCHED

newsie15 wrote:
couroupita wrote:
With respect to the crystal deodorant, it does have aluminum in it. I don't buy their argument that the form of aluminum in the crystal won't absorb into your skin.

Really? I just thought it was a salt stick ....
This one I use. Image

The salts contained are ammonium alum. The claim is that the alum molecules are too big to be absorbed into the body.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:25 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Quote:
The salts contained are ammonium alum. The claim is that the alum molecules are too big to be absorbed into the body.

yes this seems very hand-wavy to me. There are plenty of large molecular weight molecules that can be absorbed through the skin. I'm not saying I wouldn't use it, but would really like to see this study they quote.

Also it's preventing cells from producing sweat so I'm assuming it gets absorbed to a certain degree.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:35 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

couroupita wrote:
Quote:

yes this seems very hand-wavy to me. There are plenty of large molecular weight molecules that can be absorbed through the skin. I'm not saying I wouldn't use it, but would really like to see this study they quote.

Also it's preventing cells from producing sweat so I'm assuming it gets absorbed to a certain degree.

yeah I used to work at a health food store and customers would ask me this all the time, if the aluminum in the crystals was safe. I dunno, it seems hand-wavy to me too.

not that I really worry about the aluminum thing either way, just not sure the crystals are really that different.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

Last edited by Quarantined on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

couroupita wrote:
Quote:

Hmm, interesting. Well, I am gonna keep using it until I'm done, because I would hate to waste. But it's good to know now! I bought it when I first became vegan, if that explains much. lol.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:54 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Quote:
Hmm, interesting. Well, I am gonna keep using it until I'm done, because I would hate to waste. But it's good to know now! I bought it when I first became vegan, if that explains much. That's very funny!.

Yep, I also bought mine when I went vegan. Then I looked at the back of the package when I got home and was surprised to see it contained aluminum, and I felt like I'd been scammed. I still used it though, and I also still use other Al-containing deodorants because they're the only type that work. I just thought I would mention that the crystal might not be safer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:43 am 
Level 7 Vegan

couroupita wrote:
Quote:

i thought that the aluminum salts were only supposed to provide an inhospitable environment for bacteria so you don't stink, not prevent you from sweating.

i sweat when i use the deodorant crystal. am i not supposed to?

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:52 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I don't know, I just read that Dr. Mercola recommends avoiding ammonium alum, so that's got to mean it's not that bad.