| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun May 03, 2015 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Hair Care
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:15 am 
WRETCHED

I've been thinking about it for a while and couldn't find a non specific thread on hair care. So ask away!

I've been using a shampoo for a while that has caused a lot of build up. I need something to clarify it. Other than the ultra crunchy idea of baking soda, is there a good shampoo for this?

Post subject: Re: Vegan Hair Care
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:26 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

have you tried a acv rinse?

i like using lush's cynthia stout to get things super clean.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:52 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I sort of have the opposite problem--my hair is so dry that I wouldn't mind a bit of build up, but this line of shampoos are the best I've ever used, not super expensive, and I just love them so much. Everything in that store is incredible. I know it's just a small store in Victoria BC but even now that I live thousands of kms away I still order them. http://www.nezzanaturals.com/product-ca ... e/shampoo/

I use patchouli and orange because I like patchouli when it's mixed with something else and because my hair is dry/damaged.

When I tried ACV rinses I had the greasiest roots and dry ends. I am pro-poo.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:11 pm 
WRETCHED

ACV rinse never worked for me, my hair just became a huge grease ball. I went to WFs and found a shampoo that says it is vegan and is a clarifying shampoo. So I'm going to try it. It was on sale too, Acure? Of course with my luck, they are owned by Unilever or something.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:43 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I don't know much about clarifying shampoos, but am interested in seeing how Acure works for you, linanil. I feel like I need one sometimes. Right now I'm totally obsessed with my shampoo/conditioner. They're Giovanni brand. Most of their products are vegan (I think just one kind of their shampoo and a couple styling products are not), but this is the anti-frizz kind with keratin oil. I love it so much! It's like a salon quality hair product without harsh chemicals (I know not everyone cares, but I'd rather not have them in my shampoo), and has completely turned my hair around from a dry, frizzy mess to a really soft and smooth non-mess. And it smells fantastic.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

These are the 3 vegan clarifying shampoos I've used.
https://www.paulmitchell.com/our-produc ... poo-three/
http://www.malibuc.com/products/cn/2410 ... ng-Shampoo
https://giovannicosmetics.com/products/ ... em=5050S-8

In order from most cleansing to least I'd say Paul Mitchell, followed by Giovanni, followed by Malibu. But the flipside is the Malibu is the most gentle, followed by Giovanni, followed by Paul Mitchell. So the Giovanni is a nice middle ground, if your hair has a lot of chemical damage and you're babying it, try the Malibu, and if you have really healthy hair and are dealing with a lot of build up the Paul Mitchell is your best bet.

If sulfates are an issue the Malibu and Giovanni are sulfate free, the Paul Mitchell isn't, but that's part of why it clarifies better, sulfates are the most intense surfactants.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:28 am 
WRETCHED

Thanks for the list!

I may just need to pick up a small bottle of Paul Mitchell to use once in a while.

As for the Acure, I think it seemed to get most of the buildup and did a pretty good job.

The GioVanni is tempting too because it says it controls frizz. I've been using Lush R&B for that (and sometimes even straight up Jojoba oil).

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

If you have an Ulta near you they sell the Paul Mitchell in a small size. Also I'm not 100% on this but I think Trader Joe's might have their own version of the Giovanni one, I'm pretty sure the Nourish Spa Balancing shampoo and conditioner are the TJ equivalent to those Giovanni products.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:53 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I have pretty dry, low porosity hair and I've been using Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo and the Restorative conditioner. I like them a lot. It has no sulfates and no silicones, a fact that is making my hair and skin very happy. I can also find it easily at Target. Some of their products contain honey, but not many. They seem to be easy to spot since honey is in the title of the product.

Shea Moisture is my suggestion to those that have dry or curly hair.