| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: best henna for hair dye
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:06 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I've been reading about dyeing hair with henna since I saw it in the thread about Lush. I've come across other brands (Light Mountain, Uncle somebody, and just going to an Indian market and buying pure henna). Do you all have any specific brand recommendations? I've been using regular box dye on my hair for 10 years and want to go more natural. I don't want to be orange or flaming red, and definitely not plummy...just a dark reddish brown. It's been almost 3 months since my last box dye and my roots are a-showin!

Fave brands? Has anyone been doing henna for years and have any advice?

Thanks much :)

Post subject: Re: best henna for hair dye
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:27 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Thanks! Henna seems so confusing right now, and people seem to have such differing results. I've waited this long to dye my hair and it's been hard not to give in to doing the boxed dye....it's so easy and I love the color. I'm still reading about how to get the color I want. Thanks for your suggestion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:57 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I love ordering from Henna Sooq:

http://www.hennasooq.com/

They have different types of henna, you can read through the descriptions to find one you think you might like. I use 50/50 henna and indigo and my hair generally is dark brown/reddish, not flaming red. I like to leave it in overnight for best results. there's tons of different henna mixes but right now I am liking mixing my henna with pectin powder to thicken then blending with a hand blender. this site has useful mix recipes:

http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:02 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i don't have virgin hair to test out the different varieties, so i just mix whatever boxes i get from the indian grocery store with hibiscus tea, cloves and nutmeg. (but i'm aiming for maroon.) lately i've been using reshma. it's the cheapest.

if you want to tone your orange down, make sure you also use amla. it browns up henna.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't henna my hair anymore, but when I did I also ordered from hennasooq.com, and I also used a combo of henna and indigo. :)

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:34 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I truly thank you all for your replies :)

I know that there is so much that can go wrong, color-wise, so I'm trying to wait until I really have the "mix-ins" figured out. I actually love the color I have now (from boxed dye). I don't want to change it, just keep it up with henna.

I want to tone down the orange, but not go burgundy, so thanks for the amla suggestion.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]