| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun May 29, 2016 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vaute Couture 2013
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:20 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

50% off 24-hour pre-order extravaganza is up! http://vautecouture.com/collections/pre-orders

Quick question: have any of you bought one and had it tailored? Was it difficult and/or expensive? Is that a ridiculous thing to do for an already pricey coat?

I like the Audrey, but I'm fairly short (5'4") and I'm worried it's just going to be too long and too full.

Post subject: Re: Vaute Couture 2013
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:56 pm 
Dead by dawn

(sort of off-topic but I was flipping through a magazine the other day and saw her featured in a Mazda ad, totally talking about vegan being the future of fashion and stuff... pretty neat.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:05 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I bought one last year and I've thought of having it taken in a bit, but I haven't priced it out.

It's the belden in eggplant luxe and it's gorgeous, I get a lot of compliments on the color.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:26 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The eggplant is a really pretty color! (I've been google image searching).

I think the Audrey is going to be too much coat for me and would make me look stumpy. Bummer. I wish it were shorter and with a less-full skirt.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I love that color and was disappointed when it sold out last year.

Ooh, they have some. I wanted a different style last year because I already have a Belden in black. So tempted.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lobsteriffic wrote:
I bought one last year and I've thought of having it taken in a bit, but I haven't priced it out.

Same. I have a black belden and it is...not super flattering on me. I haven't been wearing it because it doesn't quite fit right, which is a real shame. I need to get to the tailor!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Fuuuuu. I don't really need a new coat but I am reallllly tempted. I have a Belden in black and I love it. Since the Belden is my classic, everyday coat, I can justify getting a fun coat, right? The Music box is calling my name.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:45 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Links to the Vaute threads on previous years: this way you can see pictures of how they look on non-models.

Vaute
Vaute 2011
Vaute 2012

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:51 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah I preordered the Musicbox in Cobalt. OOPS.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:25 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I ordered the Audrey in blue velvet. OOPS here too! If I can't easily make it shorter and/or less voluminous (if needed), I'll just return it or maybe exchange it for a Belden.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I wish they made something other than the Belden in eggplant. I can't justify the same coat in a different color.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was really hoping for waxed canvas again this year, since I could actually afford it. Oh welllll.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Amy wrote:
50% off 24-hour pre-order extravaganza is up! http://vautecouture.com/collections/pre-orders

Quick question: have any of you bought one and had it tailored? Was it difficult and/or expensive? Is that a ridiculous thing to do for an already pricey coat?

I like the Audrey, but I'm fairly short (5'4") and I'm worried it's just going to be too long and too full.

I have a Belden from last year that I need to get tailored. They accidentally sent me a S instead of XS, and obviously since they sell out so fast, they weren't able to exchange it. It didn't end up getting very cold last year, so I kept putting off getting it done. I'm going to take mine in soon though to find out if it will make sense to have it done and how pricey it will be. I don't think it's ridiculous to tailor an expensive piece, because I think it will probably last a long time so it's a good investment. A great, warm coat that lasts a long time is something awesome to have!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:00 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

If you're near a Nordstrom, they offer one (I think) free tailoring per year for Nordstrom card members. There's no fee or anything to be a card member. It's basically like a club card with benefits. They *prefer* that your tailored item be purchased from them, but it's not mandatory. It's quite a deal, considering the costs of tailoring.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Interesting! I don't have a Nordstrom card, but we do have a store around here now.

I agree, bodhi. I was on the fence, but I've heard great things about the coats, and I've been vegan for 8 years now with just sad cheap parka-type winter coats to show for it, so it's time for something nice and pretty and flattering. : ) Hopefully it works out.

creep, they had just a few waxed canvas Beldens, and I guess they sold out really really quickly. I'm not sure how production works and why they can't make more since it's a pre-order, but I'm sure it's not easy for a little company.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I thought the waxed ones were left over from last year? I'm pretty sure the eggplant luxe was.

I really want a lilac Traveler. Such pretty fabric!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oops, I ordered one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:28 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I am so tempted by the Audrey this year, just because I love the stars on the buttons. I have a Vaute coat from 5 years ago and it's still perfect, so I don't know if I can justify the purchase... let's see. I am waiting for a dress from them to arrive, and after I try it on maybe I'll jump and buy the coat and the constellation dress as well because stars.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah, that constellation dress is magnificent... but given the way it falls on the very flat-chested model, there's no way it would contain my enormous boobs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:15 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

blondiefk wrote:
I thought the waxed ones were left over from last year? I'm pretty sure the eggplant luxe was.

Ohhh, she kept saying "We're making just five eggplant Beldens", but I see a new comment now about some fabric being leftover, so I guess that's it. It must be tough to have to get the fabric made every year before you make the coats!

Anek wrote:
because stars.

Yep, that's what got me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:36 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I ordered the Belden in black V/Velveteen. I ordered the El the first year she started, and while I love it, I think the Belden will be better for me. I had to sew a snap in on the El to keep it from falling off my shoulders. At some point I saw Leanne that the sizing was improved after the first year, so I think this will help.

We better actually have some cold weather this winter! Last year I never got to wear my El coat because it was never cold enough to need anything more than a fleece jacket.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tzippy wrote:
We better actually have some cold weather this winter! Last year I never got to wear my El coat because it was never cold enough to need anything more than a fleece jacket.

This was another concern. I'm usually good with a hoodie under a thinner jacket, but when it does get really cold, I'm kind of screwed, because I don't have anything appropriate.

Anyway, ended up not buying anything this year, because they're pricey and they didn't have exactly what I wanted.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:25 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I got one of the waxed Beldens. I couldn't justify getting another winter one because I already have 3 in various styles (original pea, Airs, and Alicia). Plus, I just wasn't feelin' it for the designs this year. The backside of the Musicbox was cool but not the front.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:56 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm worried that the small won't fit. I gained weight last winter and popped the buttons on my Belden and even though I've lost it again I will probably regain it when I go back to living upstate (more sedentary lifestyle up there.) And I won't know until the winter.

Oh well, if I outgrow it maybe I can resell it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:52 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I got the Belden in Navy Moleskin. I can't wait to get it!