| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 300  Next
 Post subject: Re: What nail polish are you wearing?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:41 pm 
Huffs Nooch

bastah wrote:
OPI has been acquired by Coty, but they claim that the polish will still be cruelty free and 3 free... the question is, since money from the polish will still go toward animal testing, even from a different brand under the parent company, isn't that still cause for concern? What do you think? Sally Hansen, Rimmel and N.Y.C. are also owned by Coty

I think I'm probably going to still swap for OPI, but I am going to hope that I can not buy OPI. Shouldn't be too hard as I haven't bought OPI in over a decade. I have been guilty of purchasing a couple of N.Y.C. polishes when I was trying to meet a dollar limit to use a coupon . . . will be more mindful of that in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:56 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've been thinking about O.P.I and whether I'll continue to buy their products. As vegans we support lots of shiitake companies through purchasing their ninja vegan products eg. the rice milk I buy is owned by a company that also owns dairies, or shopping at supermarkets that also profit off all the animal products they sell to omnis. It's hard to draw the line, sometimes I will boycott eg. The Body Shop but other times (like above) I continue buying the products I want. But then again, nail polish is a want not a need.

Also, I told a beauty therapist about my nails and how I can peel off little bits from the tips of each nail and she said it's due to them being exposed to water too often which is true as I wash my hands a hundred times a day :/ She said to keep clipping them to stop the weak bits tearing off and to use a barrier cream, the one she offered me contained beeswax so I declined and might try using the stuff I have, The Invisible Glove more often. I forgot to ask whether having them painted all the time makes it better/worse.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:30 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm on day 3 of Diabolic. I love this color so much, but somehow always forget about it. I'm going to leave it on until it shows wear. Gotta love closeups for showing the flaws in what I thought looked like a reasonable mani. I need Bastah to come give me lessons.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bastah wrote:
Nice manicures, Rocklobster and Helsinki!

thanks! now when are you starting that nail blog???

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:50 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Chanel Paradoxal.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lavawitch wrote:
Chanel Paradoxal.

Ahahahahaha! This is the new mandatory way to photograph manicures. If you don't have a bird, go get one!

(I really like that color!)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:36 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

bastah wrote:
OPI has been acquired by Coty, but they claim that the polish will still be cruelty free and 3 free... the question is, since money from the polish will still go toward animal testing, even from a different brand under the parent company, isn't that still cause for concern? What do you think? Sally Hansen, Rimmel and N.Y.C. are also owned by Coty

I don't know, I wouldn't call it non-vegan or anything, but when I get back into buying nail polish (seriously, after my Sephora thing, I'm not buying any again for a long long long time) I'll look into China Glaze instead. Because it's next to the OPI display in Ulta, and that's about as far as I'm willing to go.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:34 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

bastah wrote:

This is really frustrating, I love OPI and they have so many neat colors! Ugh!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Zoya Ruby, it's such a lovely colour

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:50 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Lavawitch, your application is just fine!

I have on some ugly polish right now. It's a really cool candy apple green (Zoya's Midori), but I made a mistake and added pink shimmer on top of it. In theory, it would have looked awesome, but the milky base of the shimmer changed the color of the green and now my nails look pearly. This color pink would have looked awesome on top of the candy apple green. Oh well. I don't know when I'll be taking it off, because it's been a couple days and there's no tip wear or anything (whooo Zoya Color Lock system!)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:52 pm 

rocklobster wrote:
bastah wrote:

Actually, I've been really hesitant to do it, because I think my nail polish application sucks and bloggers always have perfect looking nails. My nails just look gross

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:11 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

bastah wrote:
rocklobster wrote:
bastah wrote:

Actually, I've been really hesitant to do it, because I think my nail polish application sucks and bloggers always have perfect looking nails. My nails just look gross

Delusional.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:23 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
bastah wrote:
rocklobster wrote:

Delusional.

Aww. Well, I'm not saying that I do an awful job, but bloggers either are super good at it or they clean up with a brush, which I don't do. My polish doesn't start at the same place at the bottom of my nail and the polish looks ragged there. Also, I don't take care of my cuticles or anything. Now of course this might not be noticeable to many people, but after looking at nail blogs, I realized that my nails are not up to par.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:56 pm 

If you live New Zealand, enter this contest! Color Club is vegan and awesome
http://www.nailjuice.com/p/up-for-grabs.html

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:07 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I get what youre saying bastah and can understand that. I tried to carefully watch during my manicure so hopefully my next time doing my nails will go better. Usually I have to do it at night and then try to rub off all the out of the lines bits in the morning.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:13 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

bastah wrote:
If you live New Zealand, enter this contest! Color Club is vegan and awesome
http://www.nailjuice.com/p/up-for-grabs.html

Thanks!

And if it matters, I would not worry too much about your nails compared to other nail bloggers. Heaps look weird/fake/retouched or whatever anyway, it's nice to see stuff looking more realistic. And a vegan nail polish blog would be cool. But yeah, don't do it if it's not going to be fun/interesting for you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:18 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

bastah wrote:
Aww. Well, I'm not saying that I do an awful job, but bloggers either are super good at it or they clean up with a brush, which I don't do. My polish doesn't start at the same place at the bottom of my nail and the polish looks ragged there. Also, I don't take care of my cuticles or anything. Now of course this might not be noticeable to many people, but after looking at nail blogs, I realized that my nails are not up to par.

You'll probably make so much money from affiliate and ads that it'll pay for you to get weekly manicures anyway! Seriously, you have some amazingly creative ideas. I'd read your nail blog for sure, just because it's pretty eye candy, even if I never actually attempt the designs. Make sure you watermark the shiitake out of your pics ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:04 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I bought six Zoya polishes when they had their BOGO deal, but the only one I've wanted to wear is Charla.
Love love love Charla always and forever.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

bastah wrote:
I have on some ugly polish right now. It's a really cool candy apple green (Zoya's Midori), but I made a mistake and added pink shimmer on top of it. In theory, it would have looked awesome, but the milky base of the shimmer changed the color of the green and now my nails look pearly. This color pink would have looked awesome on top of the candy apple green. Oh well. I don't know when I'll be taking it off, because it's been a couple days and there's no tip wear or anything (whooo Zoya Color Lock system!)

I wish I'd bought Midori instead of Tangy :/

And I think you should definitely do your blog, none of us will judge you and your applications always look fine, I don't think they have to be absolutely perfect!

BluePlasticStraw wrote:

Nice!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:51 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

BluePlasticStraw wrote:
I bought six Zoya polishes when they had their BOGO deal, but the only one I've wanted to wear is Charla.

That is beautiful.

I am currently lusting over Chanel Black Pearl. I'm not sure when it will be available--hopefully in time for Santa (aka Mom) to procure a bottle for me.

I just did a mani with 3 different white polishes and topped it with Chanel Illusion d'Or. I am so in love with Illusion. I'm not a huge glitter fan, but the purple flashes in this are amazing. I'll post a photo if I can get one to come out.

Here is my white + Illusion mani:

I used White Satin, Intermezzo, and Blanc Ceramic. They all look the same here, but in person, the finishes are a lot different. This is 3 coats of each. I love White Satin. I am so pale, that it is actually the perfect nude color on me.

Bird photo w/ Illusion d'Or. I wish the fabulousness of this mani would translate in a photo, but this looks kind of boring. Really it isn't though--it is sparkly and festive.

Poor Molly looks a little raggedy because she has a head full of sore pin feathers trying to open up. She is cranky, but I sympathize because we both have PMS today. (hers is Parrot Mood Swings)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:05 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I think Molly wants her nails painted too

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:42 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I adore Molly! She's gorgeous!

Color Club Volt Of Light
(one day I'll stop pooling at the cuticles, eesh!)

L.A. Colors Metallic silver

China Glaze Midnight Kiss & OPI Sparkle-iscious

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:03 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I've got a lovely blue/grey. Must go take a pic.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:18 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Beautiful colours, mushrooni!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The Sparkleicious looks nice!

I couldn't decide between Pulsion and Midnight Red, so I did them both! I think they would be a great mani/pedi combination. Midnight Red seems oddly sheer: 3 coats and still VNL.

You can tell I am left-handed. I need to clean this up. I did 2 coats of Pulsion. I'm not at all a pink girl, but I really love Pulsion.

My ever cooperative birdie model:

I tried to take a photo using the timer to show how the colors work together, but it was too fiddly. This was the best one, but you can sort of see how they are the same intensity of hue.

I like doing each hand in a different color.

Reply to topic  [ 7479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 300  Next