| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 305  Next
 Post subject: Re: What nail polish are you wearing?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:00 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

lavawitch wrote:
The Sparkleicious looks nice!

I couldn't decide between Pulsion and Midnight Red, so I did them both! I think they would be a great mani/pedi combination. Midnight Red seems oddly sheer: 3 coats and still VNL.

You can tell I am left-handed. I need to clean this up. I did 2 coats of Pulsion. I'm not at all a pink girl, but I really love Pulsion.

My ever cooperative birdie model:

I tried to take a photo using the timer to show how the colors work together, but it was too fiddly. This was the best one, but you can sort of see how they are the same intensity of hue.

I like doing each hand in a different color.

Oo, I love both of these colors!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

What do you think? Like or "old lady" color?

First one is Chanel Rose Confidentiel. I did my other hand in Khaki Rose.

I actually like RC a lot, especially with different mani/pedi combinations like deep red on toes or RC on toes and Gold Lame on fingers. Not my usual sort of color though! I love the almost plastic-like finish on these two cremes. Chanel cremes often have a hidden shimmer, but these are a true, smooth creme--my absolute favorite finish (and why I got hooked into Chanel polishes so many years ago!).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

They both colours that I would not wear but, I do like their finish, they look perfectly shiny and creamy.

lavawitch wrote:
I did 2 coats of Pulsion. I'm not at all a pink girl, but I really love Pulsion.

I LOVE that pink!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Kitteh wrote:
They both colours that I would not wear but, I do like their finish, they look perfectly shiny and creamy.

lavawitch wrote:
I did 2 coats of Pulsion. I'm not at all a pink girl, but I really love Pulsion.

I LOVE that pink!

I like them, but I will be wearing black by the end of the week, guaranteed. I get a nervous twitch or something if I go with light, bright, or non-vampy colors for too many days in a row.

Though, actually, I'm not sure that I would ever wear Khaki Rose on its own. I have to admit that I only bought Khaki Rose and Khaki Brun because they were part of the limited Khaki collection and I LOVE Khaki Vert. Probably a bad reason to buy expensive polishes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:15 pm 

I like both, I would definitely not say old lady!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:01 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I don't have anything on my nails right now, but I am waiting for 2 colors I ordered to arrive. I got these two:
Kate
Nephratiti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:18 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Kitteh wrote:
Do you know if China Glaze is ok or Essie?

I couldn't find out anywhere online so ended up emailing them and they say:

Quote:
December 9, 2010

Dear Melanie:

Thank you for visiting http://www.essie.com
You will be happy to know that our products are tested in salons, on an internal test panel, and even frequently on Essie herself, but never on animals. Also, there are no animal derivatives in our polishes.

Sincerely: Bill Martz
Customer Service Manager

BUT when I was just doing a search for them to find out who had asked, I noticed people earlier in this thread had said they were bought buy L'Oreal awhile ago. I've never really been clear about L'Oreal's animal testing status, but I know lots of people avoid them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:56 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Lavawitch, I love that top color(Khaki Rose). Looks like something I'd wear in the winter if I didn't want something super bright or dark on, though usually it's bright or dark.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:02 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

gaia13 wrote:
Lavawitch, I love that top color(Khaki Rose). Looks like something I'd wear in the winter if I didn't want something super bright or dark on, though usually it's bright or dark.

The top color (1st photo) is Rose Confidentiel. There is actually no rose in Khaki Rose--it looks brown, just maybe a little less brown than Khaki Brun.

I'm getting a little bit annoyed with both colors today:the twitchy need to put some black on is starting. I think I will either do Noir Ceramic or Blue Satin.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:11 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

PSA for people who said their polish doesn't last long:

1) wipe nails off with vinegar before polishing (helps get rid of residue that might causing bubbling or peeling)
2) WRAP YOUR TIPS (just touch side of your brush along tops of your nail to get some coverage)<-- I forgot last night and now I have tip wear on both hands, at least 2 or 3 fingers per hand. I've been typing nonstop while working on school stuff, but usually that wouldn't matter.

I was going to change colors anyway, but now I have to because it is starting to chip where the tip wear is bad because I just washed my hair.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:35 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Color Club Art of Seduction and Sultry

China Glaze Mistletoe Kisses

My friend nearby is a nail polish fanatic too and unlike me, she's not afraid to splurge on nail polishes (I buy drugstore and discounted stuff, har har), so my new Sunday ritual is going to her house and using her nail polishes (i.e. Mistletoe Kisses), mwah ha ha! I am going to try to coax her into drugstore brands . . .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Mushrooni wrote:
Color Club Art of Seduction and Sultry

China Glaze Mistletoe Kisses

My friend nearby is a nail polish fanatic too and unlike me, she's not afraid to splurge on nail polishes (I buy drugstore and discounted stuff, har har), so my new Sunday ritual is going to her house and using her nail polishes (i.e. Mistletoe Kisses), mwah ha ha! I am going to try to coax her into drugstore brands . . .

Mistletoe Kisses is so pretty!

I should be more afraid to splurge on stuff. That is the problem: once you get accustomed to certain stuff, it is hard to go back. On the plus side though, given how much I love nail polish and pretty colors, if I bought drugstore polish, I would most likely have collected 901 bottles by now so I guess it evens out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:19 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I did one hand in Chanel Noir Ceramic (an ongoing favorite of mine) and then decided to try out a new one that I got in a swap, Chanel Spirale. I will change tomorrow anyway because Trapeze should be here: I found it for $15, incl shipping on ebay. I love silvers.

I did one hand in Noir Ceramic, and while being undecided about using Steel or continuing with NC decided to try out Spirale. Not the greatest combo, but hopefully my Trapeze will be here tomorrow!

I managed to gouge Spirale while putting the battery in my camera. S

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:06 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I did my nails with Zoya Yummy this morning, I am so in love with it, it's a happy sky blue and so opaque that one good coat would probably do but I did 2.

BananaNut wrote:
I don't have anything on my nails right now, but I am waiting for 2 colors I ordered to arrive. I got these two:Kate, Nephratiti

They're both great colours

Mushrooni wrote:

Your nails looks so Christmassy, love it!

melanie wrote:
I couldn't find out anywhere online so ended up emailing them

BUT when I was just doing a search for them to find out who had asked, I noticed people earlier in this thread had said they were bought buy L'Oreal awhile ago. I've never really been clear about L'Oreal's animal testing status, but I know lots of people avoid them.

Thanks, Melanie!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:25 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

Kitteh wrote:
I did my nails with Zoya Yummy this morning, I am so in love with it, it's a happy sky blue and so opaque that one good coat would probably do but I did 2.

+1 yummy!

I love that color.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:35 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Adah wrote:
Kitteh wrote:

+1 yummy!

I love that color.

Hee, this is the most appropriate use of +1 yummy!

I want to wear this colour every day.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:46 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Kitteh wrote:
Adah wrote:
Kitteh wrote:

+1 yummy!

I love that color.

Hee, this is the most appropriate use of +1 yummy!

I want to wear this colour every day.

I love it. It looks wonderful on you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:19 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Apparently Australis nail polish (and lip glosses) are OK! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vegan-Pro ... 9382913716

http://www.australiscosmetics.com.au/pr ... il-colour/ here is the colour range... anyone tried them? They are certainly more in my price range! ;)

I looked at Bloom in DJ's yesterday but didn't really see any colours that attracted me. They weren't displayed very well though - on the bottom shelf, arranged higgledy-piggledy, an looked a bit like they were starting to separate. Didn't fancy paying $20 each for that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:22 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

bionic-chocolate wrote:
Apparently Australis nail polish (and lip glosses) are OK! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vegan-Pro ... 9382913716

http://www.australiscosmetics.com.au/pr ... il-colour/ here is the colour range... anyone tried them? They are certainly more in my price range! ;)

I looked at Bloom in DJ's yesterday but didn't really see any colours that attracted me. They weren't displayed very well though - on the bottom shelf, arranged higgledy-piggledy, an looked a bit like they were starting to separate. Didn't fancy paying $20 each for that.

Separation usually has more to do with the pigments than quality or age--just like with regular paints. I've noticed that greens and blues and some pinks tend to be more prone to separation. My new Chanel Khaki Vert separates out a little bit. You just have to give it a good shake then let it rest a bit before using so you don't get bubbles. I am guessing that many of these lighter pigments are larger, heavier molecules for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:26 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

bionic-chocolate wrote:

I used to buy Australis but I haven't bought any in the last 1-2 years. From memory the quality was ok and they're at lots of chemists and Priceline.
A few of my Bloom polishes do tend to separate but like Lavawitch said, I give them a shake and then use them a minute later and it does tend to be the pale pink and blue. I've bought all the colours I like from Bloom and probably won't buy any more from them unless they come out with an awesome new colour but I do use the Bloom base and top coat.

lavawitch wrote:
Separation usually has more to do with the pigments than quality or age--just like with regular paints. I've noticed that greens and blues and some pinks tend to be more prone to separation. My new Chanel Khaki Vert separates out a little bit. You just have to give it a good shake then let it rest a bit before using so you don't get bubbles. I am guessing that many of these lighter pigments are larger, heavier molecules for whatever reason.

That's interesting, I have noticed that a few blues and pinks do this.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:57 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

melanie wrote:

L'Oreal definitely still test on animals http://www.uncaged.co.uk/crueltyfree.htm

I think I'm going to have to order some Zoya polishes, I hadn't realised that ALL of their stuff's vegan!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:24 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

jojo wrote:
melanie wrote:

L'Oreal definitely still test on animals http://www.uncaged.co.uk/crueltyfree.htm

I think I'm going to have to order some Zoya polishes, I hadn't realised that ALL of their stuff's vegan!

All of their nail products are, but I think some of the lip glosses contain carmine

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:33 pm 

Chanel is vegan?

What other polishes are vegan?

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:01 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Momo wrote:
Chanel is vegan?

What other polishes are vegan?

Most polishes are vegan (they are basically just a scary chemical stew), you just have to check for carmine and the usual pigment suspects, but those are pretty rare in nail polish these days anyway. Chanel doesn't test on animals (hasn't since at least the early 90s).

Brands like OPI that say that are 3 free still usually have stuff like formaldehyde resin in them. The higher end brands like Chanel are usually 5 free (like Zoya and Nubar also are).

ETA: some polishes may contain silk protein or gelatin, but these are usually labeled as nail treatments or advertised as "strengthening" polish. I've never seen them in regular nail color.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:20 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

bastah wrote:
jojo wrote:
melanie wrote:

All of their nail products are, but I think some of the lip glosses contain carmine

Awesome! I sent a very unsubtle list to my husband so hopefully I'll see some in my Christmas stocking!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 305  Next