| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 303  Next
 Post subject: Re: What nail polish are you wearing?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:17 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

jojo wrote:
Awesome! I sent a very unsubtle list to my husband so hopefully I'll see some in my Christmas stocking!

Oooh I have another suggestion. While I love Zoya polish, it's not their standout product. You must get the Color Lock System as well! It's the most amazing thing in the world of nail polish. When used in conjunction with your Zoya polishes, you'll be such a happy camper. Ask for that too!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:42 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Wearing OPI for Sephora "Havana Dreams".

Why are light nail polishes always so thin and transparent and require so many coats? It's a beautiful colour, but hard to apply without being streaky.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:06 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

paprikapapaya wrote:
Wearing OPI for Sephora "Havana Dreams".

Why are light nail polishes always so thin and transparent and require so many coats? It's a beautiful colour, but hard to apply without being streaky.

Oo, I love that colour.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:17 am 
Discovered unobtainium

The lighter polishes are usually streaky and harder to work with for the same reason they tend to separate: they don't stay in suspension as readily as other pigments.

The new baby blue Chanel Riva is a pita to deal with too, compared to other Chanel polishes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:20 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

lavawitch wrote:
Momo wrote:
Chanel is vegan?

What other polishes are vegan?

Most polishes are vegan (they are basically just a scary chemical stew), you just have to check for carmine and the usual pigment suspects, but those are pretty rare in nail polish these days anyway. Chanel doesn't test on animals (hasn't since at least the early 90s).

Brands like OPI that say that are 3 free still usually have stuff like formaldehyde resin in them. The higher end brands like Chanel are usually 5 free (like Zoya and Nubar also are).

ETA: some polishes may contain silk protein or gelatin, but these are usually labeled as nail treatments or advertised as "strengthening" polish. I've never seen them in regular nail color.

So awesome! Thanks :)

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:51 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i painted my client's nails a red color yesterday. it was hard! i didn't get any polish on her cuticles though. i've never painted someone else's nails before!
i can't paint my nails because i do too much work with my hands.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:07 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I did Chanel Riva tonight. I love this polish so much each time I use it. It is not getting much love around the web, probably because people are sick of the Chanel LE game (I am too) and because they wanted nothing less than a new Jade.

It has the wonderful hidden shimmer than Chanel does so well. It still looks like a creme, just with an extra depth and subtlety. The second I put on the top coat, it started to sparkle--I can see all the tiny blue glittery flecks. So pretty. I used three coats this time. By my desk light, it really looks so glittery, like tiny trapped ice. I wish my photos could show that.

So pretty. I am in love. No Molly tonight because she is snuggled in her bed and not available as a manicure model.

If anybody wants Riva, you can still get it on chanel.com with free shipping until either Tuesday or Wednesday. It will probably end up selling for insane (well insaner than the retail already is) amounts on ebay once it sells out.

I am glad that I am not the only one who loves nail polish here. Most people just think it is a bit nuts, but happy color is good, right?

ETA: the parts of my nail where it looks sort of dark or maybe streaky is where the grayish glittery flecks show up muddy because of my camera.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:21 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

The finish is beautiful!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:51 am 
Huffs Nooch

Gorgeous! I'm hoping to acquire Hard Candy Sky one of these days and hope it mostly quenches my thirst for Riva. LE SIGH!

Although I'm a little bummed I didn't get to see Molly! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:48 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lavawitch wrote:
I did Chanel Riva tonight. I love this polish so much each time I use it. It is not getting much love around the web, probably because people are sick of the Chanel LE game (I am too) and because they wanted nothing less than a new Jade.

It has the wonderful hidden shimmer than Chanel does so well. It still looks like a creme, just with an extra depth and subtlety. The second I put on the top coat, it started to sparkle--I can see all the tiny blue glittery flecks. So pretty. I used three coats this time. By my desk light, it really looks so glittery, like tiny trapped ice. I wish my photos could show that.

I am glad that I am not the only one who loves nail polish here. Most people just think it is a bit nuts, but happy color is good, right?

That is gorgeous, LW! Such a perfect finish.

We're not nuts, happy colour is definitely good! ;) I took my polish off last night as it had chipped, I've put on a base coat and might leave my nails naked for a few days. I feel like they're stronger at the moment but a few still have the layered thing happening on the tips.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:41 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Kitteh wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

That is gorgeous, LW! Such a perfect finish.

We're not nuts, happy colour is definitely good! ;) I took my polish off last night as it had chipped, I've put on a base coat and might leave my nails naked for a few days. I feel like they're stronger at the moment but a few still have the layered thing happening on the tips.

I get some peeling too. Nothing seems to help other than keeping polish on. I guess it is just genetics. My mom has the most perfect, beautiful nails though (she won't wear polish).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:59 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lavawitch wrote:
Kitteh wrote:

I get some peeling too. Nothing seems to help other than keeping polish on. I guess it is just genetics. My mom has the most perfect, beautiful nails though (she won't wear polish).

Well then I might paint them tonight, the base coat has prevented any of the layered bits from peeling off today, which is good, usually I'd be picking at them ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:32 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

I just put on three coats o OPI Kyoto Pearl. It's a pretty cool toned pearly sheer white. Pretty but mega streaky. I'm probably going to take it off tomorrow because I can't handle all the imperfections. This is why I prefer cream finishes, they're so much easier to work with.
(not my pic)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:12 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

What kind of nail polish remover do you guys use? I remember way back when, when I was doing my nails all the time and using a cheap drugstore brand(I was in between middle school and high school and didn't know any better), my nails got really crappy if I'd change the color too often, and now that I'm inspired to continue doing my nails again, I don't want them to get crappy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:23 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

gaia13 wrote:
What kind of nail polish remover do you guys use? I remember way back when, when I was doing my nails all the time and using a cheap drugstore brand(I was in between middle school and high school and didn't know any better), my nails got really crappy if I'd change the color too often, and now that I'm inspired to continue doing my nails again, I don't want them to get crappy.

I use the $1.99 huge bottles of pure acetone from the grocery store. I buy $27 bottles of nail polish, but am much too cheap to spend $$ on remover.

I think all removers are bad (drying) for your nails and hands, so my philosophy is just to get it off as quickly as possible and minimize skin contact. The pure acetone removes polish a lot quicker than the blends. I just use moisturizing hand soap and run in some of my face cream after I remove polish. It doesn't seem to make much difference in my nails. I usually change my polish 2-3 times a week, but when I am stressed, like lately, I change nearly every day.

Staining is usually caused by poor pigment suspension and bad ingredients like formaldehyde resin. I've never had any of my polishes stain my nails, even the darks and blues that people say tend to stain. If your polish stains, I would find a new brand or color.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:28 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Adah wrote:
I just put on three coats o OPI Kyoto Pearl. It's a pretty cool toned pearly sheer white. Pretty but mega streaky. I'm probably going to take it off tomorrow because I can't handle all the imperfections. This is why I prefer cream finishes, they're so much easier to work with.
(not my pic)

That is a gorgeous color. I'm not great with the sheers either. I figured out the trick with Riva is to not rework the brush strokes and let coats dry in between. Still takes more patience than I usually want to devote to doing my nails though. Remember all the metallics in the 90s? How did we survive the brush strokes?!

I haven't decided yet if I will get the new Chanel Pearl Drop (looks very similar to the one you are wearing) along with Black Pearl. I need to see that one in the store.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:30 am 
Baking In The Flavor

This thread has rekindled my love for nail polish. I've been buying new nail polish like crazy these past few weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:31 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Sigh. Lavawitch has the prefect nails. That's the length/shape I wish I could keep mine in, but it's been cold here and all my nails have inevitably cracked.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

essie's Lapis of Luxury.

it's a gorgeous blue color. just applied my first layer, think i am going to do 2 + a layer of matte finish.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:12 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

fruitbat wrote:
Sigh. Lavawitch has the prefect nails. That's the length/shape I wish I could keep mine in, but it's been cold here and all my nails have inevitably cracked.

Thanks, but mine break, bend and peel without polish on or if they get any longer than my fingertips. A few years ago, I started getting manicures every two weeks to get my nails into shape, then after a few months, they were in a state that I could maintain.

I've seen moisturizing base coats; there should be something to help.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:31 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

lavawitch, I love that color!

I'm wearing OPI Merry Me. (not my picture)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:31 pm 

bathsheba wrote:
lavawitch, I love that color!

I'm wearing OPI Merry Me. (not my picture)

Oh, I like that. Very holidays.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:18 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I agree, so Christmassy!

LavaWitch - I walked past Chanel this morning and thought of you :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I hope this hasn't been posted already, so apologies if it's redundant, but it's important!

If you are on FaceBook, you should definitely "like" Zoya. They ran a campaign to get up to 20,000 followers and went from 10,000 to more than 25,000 in just a few weeks. They will be announcing a promo code usable by any of their followers on January 3rd for use January 4 - 7 for three free bottles of nail polish. You pay only for shipping!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:05 pm 

can you link to the page? I tried to find it and came up empty.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 303  Next