| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7641 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228 ... 306  Next
 Post subject: Re: What nail polish are you wearing?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:42 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

gaia13 wrote:
If you want one of the trios, I'd be happy to order it and send it to you. We could do a swap or something.

Thanks for the offer! But the 2 trios I was interested in both contain a colour I already have.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:53 am 
Ninja Master

I've got Purple Power Gelicure on one nail hehe, my Nubar trainer did a demo for me last week as I'm doing the course next month. She put some nail art over the top too using some netting and white gelicure / glitter. It doesn't come out that well in the pic, but it's pretty and I love that it doesn't chip.

So I picked the closest colour polish I had in my drawer to the gelicure, which was Jessica's Purple Burst and then some sparkly Orly topcoat (Silver Prism I think it's called). I also did a bling finger with some rhinestones as it was my friend's hen do. No chips yet and I did it Friday night (slightly drunk!), that's pretty unusual for me. It'll chip now, I've jinxed it hehe.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:09 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Someone just blew my mind by posting about making their own nail polish.

clear nailpolis+craft glitter or eyeshadow+bead.

Basically crumble the pignment or glitter and add to the clear polish with a bead to mix.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:13 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I used to do that alot, B_A_D! Plus, if you have some old mineral eyeshadow (what I did with my non-pink tone GlitterSniffers) you can tap that over a layer of nailpolish for a dusting of color. If you layer it, you can get a cool multi-dimensional look. I never have the right colors but I imagine a good 'galaxy' look is in there somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:14 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

baps wrote:

Baps, when I was working at this kitchen, for a promo, someone got a $300 manicure just like yours! Only thing was the gems were on every nail. I'd say that's an amazing job.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:15 am 
Nailed to the V

B_A_D wrote:

Basically crumble the pignment or glitter and add to the clear polish with a bead to mix.

I was a manicurist for a long time, a long time ago, and I loved doing both of these. I used loose pigments that I bought at the county fair because they weren't widely available where I lived in the early 90s. It works really well, just remember to add the stuff a little at a time or you'll get clumpy or too-thick polish.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:17 am 
Ninja Master

fauxfrancais wrote:
baps wrote:

Baps, when I was working at this kitchen, for a promo, someone got a $300 manicure just like yours! Only thing was the gems were on every nail. I'd say that's an amazing job.

Woah! They were probably swarovski crystals, mine are just cheapo nail art gems. My beautician does fab crystal pedicures with bio-sculpture or shellac and you're probably looking at around £100 for those (which is why I've never had one, I'm far too cheap! haha).

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

B_A_D wrote:

You might want to look into solvent resistant glitters from tkb trading or somewhere else if you want to try, a lot of craft glitters are prone to either bleeding their color into your polish base, leaving you with plain silver glitter and murky polish, or they sometimes completely melt into a clump in your base. The other thing to think about is that regular clear nail polish isn't viscous enough to suspend larger glitters, so they end up in the bottom of the bottle instead of throughout the polish, though again there are places that sell actual suspension base.

If you're just looking for small amounts of stuff to play around with you might want to look into ordering from Girly Bits. Pam sells frankening starter kits and supplies, so you don't have to order a bulk quantity from somewhere else. She's out of town right now, but here's her big cartel site http://girlybits.bigcartel.com/ and her facebook page for Girly Bits https://www.facebook.com/GirlyBits

All of her ingredients are cruelty free and vegan, she and I had a long correspondence about it. She's great about customer service too, and the polishes she makes are great, I have 7 polishes from her and love them all.

If you're interested in other indie brands like that, where they're hand mixed and really unique, Takko lacquer is vegan and has great polishes and customer service. http://www.etsy.com/shop/takkolacquer I have Kaleidoscope Eyes from her, as well as a mini sample of Wanderlust, and they're incredible. Kaleidoscope eyes is one of the best polishes in my collection, and there is a LOT of competition there.

Darling Diva Polish doesn't advertise it as vegan, but from correspondence her polishes are cruelty free and also accidentally vegan. I haven't gotten my order from her yet to have an opinion, but the swatches look awesome. http://www.etsy.com/shop/DarlingDivaPolish

Most of the indie sellers have been good about answering my questions about testing and ingredients. Takko Lacquer was by and far the best, she had the polishes listed as vegan, and I was still apprehensive and asked for an ingredient list which she provided no problem and was just great. She threw in the sample of Wanderlust for free when I ordered. She and Pam from Girly Bits are my favorite indie sellers.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:08 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

jessilikewhoa wrote:
You might want to look into solvent resistant glitters from tkb trading or somewhere else if you want to try, a lot of craft glitters are prone to either bleeding their color into your polish base, leaving you with plain silver glitter and murky polish, or they sometimes completely melt into a clump in your base. .

Jessie is Dead on there. I made some with some awesome glitter flakes that made it look very opalescent, and when I looked three hours later, everything was blah, the glitter had all turned white, and the polish had thickened up so much that you couldnt even see the color anymore.

Lesson learned. I started putting glitter on some plastic, and then dropping a few drops of clear over them and mixing them up pretty well to see if the colors or consistency changes at all. Definitely a pain in the asparagus to do it that way because you already bought the stupid glitter.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:43 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I really really really want Illamasqua's rubber finish polishes. Scorn, Aorta, and the new bright purple are calling out to me! They look so awesome and unique.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:00 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i've had naked fingernails for nearly 2 weeks now! it's weird.

today i'm doing a full mani/pedi of a england tristam. i swatched four colors in an effort to decide, and it was no contest.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bastah wrote:
I really really really want Illamasqua's rubber finish polishes. Scorn, Aorta, and the new bright purple are calling out to me! They look so awesome and unique.

Vampy Varnish said the newer colors in that finish are all LE, so if you want them you better jump on it. I'm eyeballing them myself, but I think the order I did for the Orly Plastix from Haute Look should satisfy for colorful polishes with a rubberized finish, and I have Scorn (it's awesome on, but it takes longer to dry than regular mattes, and it goes on a bit thick too.)

I'm saving all my dollars for the Color Club Halo Hues release. I'm stalking their facebook for an announcement of them going on sale.

I did stop into Sally a few days ago to buy a jar of Manic Panic and spotted the Finger Paints Halloween collection. I'm a sucker for Halloween, especially Halloween polishes, but the only polish I bought that I had to absolutely have was a multi colored bar glitter (!!!!!) called Gourd or Bad?

not my photo, from http://kraftynails.blogspot.com/2012/08 ... r-bad.html

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:18 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I like it, Jessi, and Baps I love your nails too

bastah wrote:
NOTD is Zoya's Wednesday. I love this retro color.

I want, I want!

Has anyone used Red Angel stamping plates? I just read about them on a nail blog and they sound really good. Unfortch they're only avail in the USA but some of the designs look fantastic.

ETA: Also, if you've used the Born Pretty website, do they have decent service? I like that they offer free shipping, I want some nail striping tape

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have some plates from Born Pretty and they aren't great. I ordered plates from Cheeky and from Mash off Amazon and they're both great, and cheap, and good designs. Born Pretty took awhile to get to me, but everything got here fine.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:02 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh no! I ordered one of their large plates of 42 stamps for about $8, plus one konad and some striping tape. I was worried that their plates didn't look that good but I chucked it in the cart anyway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

They work, just not fantastic. For $8 it's not a huge loss.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:21 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

COLOR CLUB HALO HUES!!! WAAAANTI have been refreshing every frigging 4 minutes waiting for them to get them opened, not just for "Shipping 8/15" bastages! As far as Red Angel, yeah I have the plate set but I dont really like the full nail designs because they are tiny.
I have wide nail beds, and like longer nails so full plate images are a flipping nightmare for me to get. I found a pair of great pic for image size comparisons.

and

the Drikk plates are awesome.
I have Shany, Red Angel, the Cheeky Jumbo and the Drikk B plate. I am waiting for the A plate to get back in stock at Ninjapolish, which is where I got the B plate at, but as far as the sizes, Im picky. I want it too big instead of too small....

hm... not going there. LOL

anyway, the images are nice on all of them but I kind of got stuck using the XL stamper to get the images off after using it with the Drikk plate and I like it cause its squishy but it doesnt pick up the images off of the Cheeky plate for dingus. Have to use the regular stamper for it for some reason. The RA plates stamp pretty well, and arent bad as far as quality either. The set I have doesnt have Backing on them and am not sure whether they come with backing now, but for a starter set, its definitely a good place to get into stamping with and has an ok set of images. Its the size thing that makes me almost shy away on the Full Nail sizes. My thumb nail is almost an inch long from root to tip and over a half inch wide. I think I apparently have Ogre hands....

I have also been eyeballing Dashica beauty plates... but dont really want to order from overseas and have to do the currency conversion ;/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:30 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Raila wrote:
COLOR CLUB HALO HUES!!! WAAAANTI have been refreshing every frigging 4 minutes waiting for them to get them opened, not just for "Shipping 8/15" bastages!

On their Facebook page, they said today that the launch has been postponed and will now be mid-late August. They said it was because the demand is so high.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:43 am 
So Totally Yiffy

bastah wrote:
Raila wrote:
COLOR CLUB HALO HUES!!! WAAAANTI have been refreshing every frigging 4 minutes waiting for them to get them opened, not just for "Shipping 8/15" bastages!

On their Facebook page, they said today that the launch has been postponed and will now be mid-late August. They said it was because the demand is so high.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Where did you see that? I cant find anything like that?
and I bet damn near the whole world is refreshing their shop which is why its going sooo slow lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Raila wrote:
bastah wrote:
Raila wrote:

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Where did you see that? I cant find anything like that?
and I bet damn near the whole world is refreshing their shop which is why its going sooo slow lol

I saw that too, it's in response to a comment someone put on their facebook page, not in a status update. I want them to quit messin' with my heart!!!!

eta, also, it's now August 16th, you can't get more mid-August than than. I'm starting to think we won't be able to buy these until September.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:20 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks for the info, Raila. I should have researched before I purchased but like Jessi said, $8 isn't much and some of my nails will fit them and others I might have to double stamp.

Galaxy mani, inspired by a book cover. Base: 2 coats WnW Eggplant Frost then 1 coat Orly Fowl Play. Stamped on: Zoya Snow White, Zoya Tart, WnW Chrome Hog-Quartz Chrome, WnW Chrome Precious Petals. Dabbed on: Nubar Sugar. Final coat: Orly Shine On Crazy Diamond plus a couple of diamontes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:29 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ahhh! Kitteh! That is forking amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:14 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Wow, Kitteh - incredible!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:36 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Holy cow, Kitteh. That is the single most amazing manicure I have ever seen.

I bow down to your superior skills and general awesomeness.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:00 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Amazing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7641 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228 ... 306  Next