| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263 ... 304  Next
 Post subject: Re: What nail polish are you wearing?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:31 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Kitteh!! This chick needs your blog!

http://www.xojane.com/beauty/this-might-be-the-nerdiest-post-ill-put-together-ever-match-your-nails-to-what-youre-reading-2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:56 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Alternating dots of ELF Lilac and Spoiled The Parking Meteor Expired. Toothpicks do awesome things for dots.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:34 pm 

I love that, allularpunk! Super cute!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:07 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Buy 2 get one on Sally's! Everything except the newest CG polishes, as far as I could tell.

I picked:
CG Deviantly Daring (holo)
CG No Plain Jane (holo)
Orly Shine on Crazy Diamonds

Livi picked:
Orly Sweet Peacock
CG Flying Dragon Neon
Nina Boys N Berries (I have no idea if it's vegan, I have to go check

Tzippy wrote:
Ugh, I spilled nail polish on our carpet. I have gotten most of it out, but still...ugh.

there's some blue under the glider ottoman. shh, don't tell!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:19 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

ndpittman wrote:

Ha! I saw your comment, thanks so much!

Pink galazy mani: I started with a base of Orly Razzle. Then I sponged on some Barry M Matt White. On the top section I sponged on Barry M Strawberry Ice Cream and then added Make Up Store Britta. In the middle section I sponged on L.A Girl Brites Dynamite followed by O.P.I La Paz-itively Hot. Then I added a coat of Nubar Sugar

Blue sky + suns: I started with a base of Orly La Playa. Then I sponged on Barry M Matt White, followed by Zoya Robyn, O.P.I Teal the Cows Come Home and finally Orly Liquid Vinyl along the tips. For the sun I painted a circle using Zoya Creamy, I added some Orly Lemonade to the top and WnW Sunny Side Up to the base.

appifanie wrote:
Tzippy wrote:
Ugh, I spilled nail polish on our carpet. I have gotten most of it out, but still...ugh.

there's some blue under the glider ottoman. shh, don't tell!

I spilt remover all over our new coffee table, luckily I mopped it up quick and it didn't ruin the finish. I am always worried about tipping polish over, I am well clumsy.

Loving the dots, AllularPunk!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:44 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Thanks ndpittman and Kitteh! Kitteh, I just love your book manis :)

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:03 am 

A little old, but here's My Paprika is Hotter than Yours (hands) and Monsooner or Later (feet); sorry the quality isn't great. I was pleased by how well they went together. I wanted to get My Paprika is Hotter than Yours on both, but I couldn't find it when I got the pedicure.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:26 am 
Ninja Master

shiitake, where do they come up with those terrible names? Pretty colour though.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:54 am 

baps wrote:
shiitake, where do they come up with those terrible names? Pretty colour though.

It might be a rumor, but I heard that wine is usually involved.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:43 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ha, I wouldn't be surprised. Nd - I like both shades, they're quite similar

I started with a base of Barry M Matt White. Then I sponged Orly Lemonade onto the top third of each nail. I followed this with Zoya Dove on the middle of each nail and then Orly Liquid Vinyl on the tips. Finally I took a dotting tool and Zoya Creamy to add the dots on the top of each nail.

Went on a bit of a polish spree this week, I went to a local beauty supply place hoping to find Orly Hope & Freedom collection but they didn't have it and aren't planning to stock it. I didn't want to leave empty handed so I got CG For Audrey and Turned Up Turquoise. Today I got a couple of Ulta3, Chi Chi, and Nail It! polishes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:56 am 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

Kitteh wrote:
CG For Audrey and Turned Up Turquoise

(not surprisingly, love both!)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:11 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I almost picked up For Audrey last weekend, but I stopped myself. The second I allow myself to start getting China Glaze I'm going to have to triple my storage space.\

Currently wearing BL Artful Dodger (not my pic)

I don't hate it, but for some reason I'm just not in the mood to wear anything that isn't black, or nearly black. Not very spring-y of me!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

calcuhater wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
CG For Audrey and Turned Up Turquoise

(not surprisingly, love both!)

They're very you colours :)

Nicole wrote:
I almost picked up For Audrey last weekend, but I stopped myself. The second I allow myself to start getting China Glaze I'm going to have to triple my storage space.\

I don't hate it, but for some reason I'm just not in the mood to wear anything that isn't black, or nearly black. Not very spring-y of me!

I was avoiding CG for ages, but now I think I'll buy some every now and then, I have my eye on the Safari collection, something about all those shades together calls to me but I'm resisting for now.

And I like that blue, Nicole!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:41 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Orly Liquid Vinyl & White Tips, topped with Asbestos & Carbon Copy from https://www.etsy.com/shop/windestine (not sure if those are vegan - I just realized I forgot to check!).

With bonus Desmond, who only cares about my mani if it interferes with me petting him.

ETA: I totally copied this from Chalkboard Nails.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:03 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Zoya's neon green matte on my toes...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:23 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Nicole I love the colour of that BL, I have a super similar Orly polish.

Kitteh I'm still loving your book mani's! On another note have you looked into places to get a vegan cruelty free mani in Portland?!

I did a glitter fade today! Orly Fresh (bright green) with Barry M Turquoise Glitter. It's the first fancy nail thing I've ever tried & I think it came out pretty well. I'll try to post a photo tomorrow when I'm on a computer.

Also does anyone know what non-vegan ingredients I should be looking out for in nail polish remover? I always just buy the vegan labelled one at Superdrug but a new salon near me wants help working out what is & isn't vegan and whilst I think I have polish brands/ingredients down I'm not so sure about remover.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:57 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I don't know if this is true around the world, but in the U.S. a lot of nail polish remover contains gelatin. I think that the main issue otherwise is with animal testing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:15 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Guys, what do you do/know regarding nail and cuticle care? My hands are, sadly, just like my mom's in the respect that they're very beaten up and far from kept. Anyone know of a really good nail strengthener/growth enhancer that isn't composed of super chemicals? I don't even know that such a thing exists. I have VERY weak nails by my genes, but would love to start growing them out. I once had them filed off and pretty long, and they were my pride (okay, maybe that's strong) for about two weeks. I was ecstatic until one day one of them split at the side just past where the nail joins the finger.

Also, I've heard of people getting their manicures every so often just to have someone else do the shaping up/filing/cuticle trimming, and then painting nails in between. It seems like everyone here does their own nails, but do you get your foundation, the manicure, done at a salon? NYC is so expensive that I feel bad justifying a $12 manicure, when back home 30 minutes away, it is $7 and I can actually afford to tip. Doesn't seem like a huge difference, but I'm a broke student.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:12 am 
Ninja Master

fauxfrancais wrote:
Guys, what do you do/know regarding nail and cuticle care? My hands are, sadly, just like my mom's in the respect that they're very beaten up and far from kept. Anyone know of a really good nail strengthener/growth enhancer that isn't composed of super chemicals? I don't even know that such a thing exists. I have VERY weak nails by my genes, but would love to start growing them out. I once had them filed off and pretty long, and they were my pride (okay, maybe that's strong) for about two weeks. I was ecstatic until one day one of them split at the side just past where the nail joins the finger.

Also, I've heard of people getting their manicures every so often just to have someone else do the shaping up/filing/cuticle trimming, and then painting nails in between. It seems like everyone here does their own nails, but do you get your foundation, the manicure, done at a salon? NYC is so expensive that I feel bad justifying a $12 manicure, when back home 30 minutes away, it is $7 and I can actually afford to tip. Doesn't seem like a huge difference, but I'm a broke student.

I'm biased but you can't beat a pro manicure.

But you definitely can do it yourself. Make sure you have the right nail file, you want a file with a grit number of 240 or higher, a lower number than 240 is too harsh for the natural nail (these are made for filing off acrylic enhancements).

File in one direction (you can see-saw with a 240 grit file but it's probably best not to). I would recommend going for one manicure so that they can get rid of any cuticle build up on the nail plate, as it can grow quite far down and you can't see it. Then you can maintain at home. I'd buy a hoof stick with a rubber end, not wooden ones to gently push back after you get out of the shower. Never cut or trim the eponychium (what most people think is the cuticle), only push back gently.

But... my best advice is cuticle oil cuticle oil cuticle oil. 2 - 3 times a day! whether you are wearing polish or not. CND's solar oil is the best IMO, but China Glaze do a nice orange one too. And you only need such a tiny amount, it will last you ages.

Polish will help give you a bit of strength, all nail coatings will but not much. If you have super weak nails that split and peel, like mine do, polish won't last that long and you need a bit of strength to help stop them splitting. Overlays or gel polish manicures might be a better option for you if you really want to grow them. I never found strengtheners that actually helped before I switched to gel polish. It can be a bit pricey though I know, but my nails grow really long now, they do occasionally break but generally I end up having to cut them down.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:45 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Regarding nail strengtheners - I know it's on the pricey side, but I like Butter London Horse Power, I tend to use it as a base coat and I do think it helps. But like Baps said, cuticle oil is also a really important part of the equation.

Some people go for vitamins that target your nails, skin and hair, but it'd probably take a few months of religious use to see if they work.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:59 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Tzippy wrote:
I don't know if this is true around the world, but in the U.S. a lot of nail polish remover contains gelatin. I think that the main issue otherwise is with animal testing.

Interesting. I had a look at a few whilst I was at the pharmacy earlier and there was no sign of gelatine in any of them. I spotted some sort of silk in a couple though!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

baps wrote:
I would recommend going for one manicure so that they can get rid of any cuticle build up on the nail plate, as it can grow quite far down and you can't see it. Then you can maintain at home. I'd buy a hoof stick with a rubber end, not wooden ones to gently push back after you get out of the shower. Never cut or trim the eponychium (what most people think is the cuticle), only push back gently.

Thanks for saying this! I've been trying to figure out how to manage my unruly eponychium for ages. They grow halfway up my nails! I have been thinking about trying to justify a manicure to get them under control, but it's good to know how to maintain them after I do that. I was always like, 'Do I cut this off? If so, HOW?' So it's good to know I shouldn't be doing that anyway. I do have to get a manicure to get them where they should be in the first place though. When I push them down with those hoof sticks, they just bunch up down there and eventually creep their way back up. It's kind of gross how far up they grow, really.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:23 pm 
Ninja Master

allularpunk wrote:
Thanks for saying this! I've been trying to figure out how to manage my unruly eponychium for ages. They grow halfway up my nails! I have been thinking about trying to justify a manicure to get them under control, but it's good to know how to maintain them after I do that. I was always like, 'Do I cut this off? If so, HOW?' So it's good to know I shouldn't be doing that anyway. I do have to get a manicure to get them where they should be in the first place though. When I push them down with those hoof sticks, they just bunch up down there and eventually creep their way back up. It's kind of gross how far up they grow, really.

yeah proper removal and maintenance of cuticle will help and use of cuticle oil should help shrink them back.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The New Nails Hardener from No Miss made my nails stop peeling and breaking, Vegan Essentials sells it, and I've seen it at Whole Foods too, and I second the recommendation for CND Solar Oil. It's my favorite cuticle oil.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:43 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

^ I'm going to try and buy some when I visit - thanks for the tip, Jessi!

jojo wrote:
Kitteh I'm still loving your book mani's! On another note have you looked into places to get a vegan cruelty free mani in Portland?!

Also does anyone know what non-vegan ingredients I should be looking out for in nail polish remover? I always just buy the vegan labelled one at Superdrug but a new salon near me wants help working out what is & isn't vegan and whilst I think I have polish brands/ingredients down I'm not so sure about remover.

No! I have looked at places in LA and NY, but not Portland - will do some research so we can go get our nails done :D

And some of the removers here are different colours, so maybe colourings and glycerin - that can be animal-based, yes? Maybe the salon could check in with the suppliers of their remover or ask their beauty supply company?

fauxfrancais wrote:

I like Nubar Nu Nail and for cuticles I just ordered a SpaRitual Cuti-Cocktail pen and a bottle to refill - I read about it on a blog and the girl said it was awesome. I have started putting shea butter on my cuticles/nails at night along with my usual hand cream and then cotton cotton gloves. I also take Deva Hair & Nail vitamins. And wear cotton + rubber gloves whenever you're cleaning.

I get my nails to a decent length but it's hard because I use my hands a lot at work/home and I am clumsy, so I find if I let them get a little too long, corners start breaking, so maybe keep them just a touch shorter than how you had them when they were long and they might be easier to maintain.

And no, I do not go to salons, even though sometimes it would be nice just to have them tidied up by someone else. I'm not a fan of soaking nails in water before a mani so I prefer to do my own at home, there was one manicurist here who did waterless manis but she seems to have disappeared. Plus, there aren't really any places I'd want to go to around where I live or they use products that I don't want to use. But, you could get one done every now and then, it would make it easy for you to maintain your nails in between visits :)

The explanation for this one is lonnnnng but there are details on the blog. The zigzags took me 3 goes and I want to do rosey nails everyday now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263 ... 304  Next