| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264 ... 300  Next
 Post subject: Re: What nail polish are you wearing?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:29 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I just got my nails done today! I usually always go to have them done because I just end up making a big mess. I got Don't Burst My Bubble on my hands and I Theadora You on my feet (both OPI Oz collection). Surprise, they are both light pink. "My colors are blush and bashful."

Another shout out for cuticle oil! I think it makes a huge difference. I love Qtica solid gold cuticle gel, but solar oil is awesome, too.

My favorite strengthener is OPI Nail Envy, but I know a lot of people skip OPI. I have to say that I'm curious about the No Miss stuff now though!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:55 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

In the middle of my shift today, I noticed that one of my nails was completely naked! My mani had just reached the point where the edges try to peel up, which I didn't notice until I was at work, but I've never randomly lost an entire nail worth of polish before. I spent the rest of the shift wondering where in the store that one nail-shaped patch of white with black glitter was, and how grossed out someone would be if they knew what it was.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:14 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I forget what brand it was, but I have a couple of polishes that do that!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:09 pm 
Ninja Master

The more layers of polish you apply (or layers too thick) the higher the chance of them peeling.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:13 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yeah, I've had gel like glitter polish pop off like that.

I got Dior Diaboltine or whatever it's called yesterday. I went into Sephora for lipgloss and tried the polish because it was there. It didn't really interest me since I'm not super huge on corals, but when I walked outside, it turned into this amazing sparkle glitter bomb, so I went back and got it.

There was a gorgeous soft lilac purple too, but I resisted. It's on my list if I get more gift certificates though!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:04 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

baps wrote:
The more layers of polish you apply (or layers too thick) the higher the chance of them peeling.

Yeah, I've definitely noticed that in the past. This one was 6 layers if you count base and top coats, so I knew it would get to that point. It's SO hard to not just peel the nail polish off when it gets there, especially if it's a glitter (since I know it'll be a pain to remove the proper way) - but I know that's not good for my nails and I'm usually able to restrain myself. This one just surprised me because I've just never lost a whole nail without realizing it was happening! :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:13 am 
Ninja Master

Yeah and peeling off polish is fun!! My nails are a bit forked under my gelicure because I'm bad and peel it off when it starts lifting. I don't practice what I preach.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:27 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Butter London MacBeth, a super bright and pretty coral pink creme.

Since spring is refusing to finally come to Germany, I just decided to try and lure it here with happy, bright colors.

Apologies for the sorry state of my cuticles and nails, I've been renovating nonstop since January and it shows.

eta: Best nail polish name ever! It was the reason I bought it because normally I'm not into pink at all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:29 am 
Ninja Master

That's a pretty colour.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:48 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

That IS a pretty color! I'm going to paint mine a coral tonight, you've inspired me.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:11 am 
Bathes in Braggs

MacBeth is one of my all time favorites!

I'm sitting here on a worthless conference call and just put one of my other favorites, Trustafarian, on. At least I made decent use of the hour.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:06 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I love Trustafarian!

And allularpunk, I'm happy to hear that I could inspire you! Which polish did you put on?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:16 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

solar oil question!

where the heck can you buy it "in person"? i used to think that sally always carried it (i.e., back in the olden days i'm pretty sure i bought it there), but i haven't bought it in *forever* and this thread renewed my interest. :) i went to sally today and they don't have it... i also went to CVS because i saw that CVSonline had it, but no dice there either. our only ulta is all the way across town, is that my best bet? or am i missing an obvious choice?

thanks guys!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:58 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My girl students were all over my new polish today and kept asking what it was. I'm back in love with it now. In proper light, it's actual a deep coral pink neon glass fleck. It's pretty awesome. The formula is lovely, and it dries fast. Dior hit it out of the park with this one (diaboltine). I think it's going to be my favorite pedi color for summer. It's strange in that it should be a warm color, but it's more neutral, at least on me, so it looks great even with my pale skin. I can't usually pull off the neons or corals.

I can't find a photo online that shows what it really looks like.

(Sephora has 15% off this week; still ~$20, but if one is inclined to splurge on pricey polish, I think this one is actually worth it)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I buy Solar Oil at Cosmoprof, but that's pro only. I've bought it at Ulta before, but that was a few years ago, so I'd call ahead to make sure they still carry it.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:25 am 
Ninja Master

bluedawg wrote:
solar oil question!

where the heck can you buy it "in person"? i used to think that sally always carried it (i.e., back in the olden days i'm pretty sure i bought it there), but i haven't bought it in *forever* and this thread renewed my interest. :) i went to sally today and they don't have it... i also went to CVS because i saw that CVSonline had it, but no dice there either. our only ulta is all the way across town, is that my best bet? or am i missing an obvious choice?

thanks guys!

Not sure about your side of the pond but over here you can only buy it from the distributor if you're a pro and if not, you have to buy it from a CND stocking salon. None of the beauty wholesalers like Sallys are licensed to sell it over here.

Edit: if you can't find it in a shop, then take a look here for your nearest CND salon and they will most likely have some for retail.
http://www.cnd.com/find-salon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:25 am 
Ninja Master

My gelicure was chipped to hell so I took it off and decided to put regular polish on so that I can easily change it later in the week. This is Illamsaqua's Blow. I love the colour (it's a bit brighter in real life) but I've done a forking terrible paint job - I have bubbles and duvet marks. GAH I hate regular polish. I will re-gelicure them at the weekend probably.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

baps wrote:
Not sure about your side of the pond but over here you can only buy it from the distributor if you're a pro and if not, you have to buy it from a CND stocking salon. None of the beauty wholesalers like Sallys are licensed to sell it over here.

Edit: if you can't find it in a shop, then take a look here for your nearest CND salon and they will most likely have some for retail.
http://www.cnd.com/find-salon

thanks baps! i found a place or two in the neighborhood who seem to stock CND; i'll swing through one of those and try my luck.

meanwhile, i've been slacking on posting my new shades, so here are a couple to catch up:

a england dragon by vegan.chai, on Flickr

i hemmed and hawed about buying this one, but i love tristam and lady of the lake so much, i thought their grassy green pal might be a good choice too. i really like it! i think it would be a cute spring/summer pedi color.

zoya storm by vegan.chai, on Flickr

and this is zoya storm, courtesy of Nicole, who is super amazing. we did a swap when we both ended up with bottles that weren't our favorites, and i'm loving this one! it's my first black polish ever and i love the shimmer. i did a full mani/pedi with this one and i kept it on my toes for a loooong time.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:11 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

When I went out today, I discovered that the spiffy glass fleck neon Dior polish I raved about also has pink to orange to red flash. It's such a complex polish with oodles of depth.

I'm actually going to say it might be one of the more interesting that I own. It looks so boring in the bottle! Just a little shimmery.

And now that I spent $$ at Sephora, I get a 15% off coupon in the mail. Figures!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:21 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I was doing some research on Dior because there was a polish I was curious about. I saw that they tested, is it not true then?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:28 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

From what I've always seen, they stopped testing in 1989. I know I posted a link on their website in some thread or another, but their site won't load on iPad so I can't find it now. I think it was the perfume thread. They are privately owned, so no parent company issues.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:00 pm 
Ninja Master

lavawitch wrote:
From what I've always seen, they stopped testing in 1989. I know I posted a link on their website in some thread or another, but their site won't load on iPad so I can't find it now. I think it was the perfume thread. They are privately owned, so no parent company issues.

Theyre owned by LVMH (did I get those letters right?) and, like Channel, they sell in China. So I am unsure about the testing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:56 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Dior is owned by LVMH now? When did that happen? I still do not understand the China thing. Is it a matter of quantity? Some companies have sold there for years. And how does this mesh with the EU ban?

OPI apparently has a Bond Girls collection out. Have they ever seen a Bond movie? The blue for Tiffany Case is a decent enough fit, but baby pink for kitten Galore? I think Honor Blackman would kick their asparagus.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:04 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I guess I did know that about LVMH.

I found this, which looks familiar, but I don't know how updated it is. http://nottested.co.uk/Cosmetics.html

I kind of don't trust anything anymore. Aveda is selling in China and are still swearing up and down they dont and won't test.

I'll send an email tomorrow and see if they have a new corporate position statement to send out. Dior, I mean. If they aren't clear, I'll find something else to use my Sephora cards on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:58 am 
Ninja Master

I think Aveda do test, from what it says on their website. They say they do not animal test on the first sentence, but if you keep reading, a couple of sentences down says "We do not conduct animal testing on our products or ingredients, nor ask others to test on our behalf, except when required by law."

But I am also unsure on the China thing now. Art Deco sell there but they swear blind they do not test at all. I looked into it and found something that said it's only new ingredients that have to be tested and Art Deco say they only use ingredients that are on the chinese government's approved list so they don't have to test. I'll try and find it.

Re the EU ban, companies can still test outside the EU but any (new!) product that is animal tested, either ingredients or finished product, cannot be sold in the EU. So if they test anything new for sale in China, they can't sell it in the EU, is how I understand it.

I can't find Chanel or LVMH's testing policies, but I'll keep googling. Givenchy's website says they do not do any animal testing and to look on LVMH's website for the policy but I'm struggling to find it.

edit: this site is even more confusing. It has both of them as orange - so ambiguous, but from reading it, they both sound ok. GAHHH! http://nottested.co.uk/Cosmetics.html

Reply to topic  [ 7479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264 ... 300  Next