| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266 ... 300  Next
 Post subject: Re: What nail polish are you wearing?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:35 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm new to this thread and it's pretty epic at 262 pages so thanks for repeating the tips for me baps! (I'm using SpaRitual nail polish remover.)

I was surprised the top and base coat didn't work well with another brand though, is that normal? I would have thought they should be much of a muchness if you're using good quality products.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:58 am 
Ninja Master

I wouldn't say normal but it's definitely possible that they just clash. I've never used sparituals top/base coat but generally most should be interchangable with other brands. The only one I've ever heard otherwise on is that some brands don't work well with Seche Vite top coat (which I love).

To be honest, my nails are crepe and polish generally chips on me within a day, which is why I normally stick to gel polish. But the last 2 manis I've done over the last 2 weeks have both lasted a good few days and the only thing I did different was to scrub the nails before painting to get rid of surface oils. And I haven't used top coat on either because I ran out, so maybe seche vite really does suck! haha.

edit: here's the tips from my other post and yeah, they're pretty much what I alread said, in spoiler tags for those who don't wanna read them again ....
Spoiler: show
A couple of things that might help the polish stay on longer…. Make sure the nail plate is totally free of any oils and dirt before you apply your basecoat. If you are using regular polish remover, check the ingredients for oil and if it’s there, use pure acetone (not the greatest thing for your nails but it does work) or alcohol (IPA) to cleanse the nail; you want to ‘squeak it’, ie rub it well, like you’re taking off red polish!

Base coat, 2 layers of colour and then top coat, making sure that you keep the layers thin and that you cap the free edge of each nail / wrap the tips on all 4 layers. Add some cuticle oil to help it dry quicker and then do nothing for an hour to let it properly dry.

Wear gloves when you’re washing up or cleaning. Chemicals in cleaning products can dissolve the polish.

Don’t use your nails to pick things or scrape – nails are jewels not tools. (Do you like that? That is stolen straight from my Gelicure aftercare leaflets!! Hahaha)

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

Last edited by baps on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:59 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've also found that the Zoya base and top coats don't play well with Sparitual polish. I've used China Glaze base and top coats with Sparitual polish, though, and it was fine. Basically, I use Zoya base and top coats with Zoya polish, and China Glaze base and top coats (because that's the only other brand I have for base and top coats) for all my other polish brands.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:19 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Here's the glitter fade I posted about a few pages back. Orly Fresh with Barry M Aqua Glitter. It was surprisingly easy!

baps you inspired me to use my Barry M Pomegranate Jelly. I totally forgot that I even had this polish!

Barry M have some new polishes coming out! I think I'll be getting the white & the pink. They come out the day before I go to the US (May 8th) so I probably wont be able to buy them until mid June!

Not-For-Profit Cupcakes: Operation Icing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:44 am 
Ninja Master

TWINS!!

It's lovely isn't it. I really like the colours of the Gelly polishes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:45 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

i like the green & blue glitter together!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

After mulling color choices over for a couple of days, I decided to take advantage of Zoya's Earth Day promo and got a bunch of new colors. I got Pandora, Willow, Zuza, Felicity, Yara, Pippa, Gaia, Paloma, Charla, Thandie, Tinsley, Sarah (gonna give that one to a friend with the same name!), Andi, Aurora, and Dea. I also got the Holiday mini set of the color lock system so that I can try the products out to see how I like them. I'm basically rebuilding my polish collection from the ground up, since most of what I have is super old, has nasty chemicals, and isn't really my taste anymore (most of them are from 5-10 years ago).

I'm also really, really tempted to order Chanel's Taboo, Black Pearl and Azure... but I think that I should wait a month or two maybe since I've already spent so much on polish recently. Does anyone know if Chanel sells out of their limited edition colors really quickly? Black Pearl is listed on the Encore section of the website, which worries me a bit... and the Azure is a new LE summer color. Taboo seems permanent, so I guess I'm safe on that one? I don't want to be kicking myself later if any of these become unavailable since they seem really special.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:41 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

They can sell out immediately, prompting massive price gouges on eBay, or linger a bit. Hard to say. Black Pearl was regular collection for a while and most counters have some stock. That won't disappear completely for a while. Those summer polishes look pretty amazing though--they might go.

In general, it's the special releases that don't go to all counters that sell out, like the fashion night out polishes.

Taboo is completely amazing.

I'd kind of say you are safe waiting until June, but the summer polishes like Nouvelle Vague a few years go were gone in a flash and on eBay for $80. Blue polishes sell well. If you want them and can afford them now, I wouldn't wait, not if you might feel compelled to end up tracking them down and pay more.

I have the eye shadow quad, polishes and a glossimer coming, but I'll have to wait until birthday. My mom will be sure to flaunt the box when it arrives. Haha. Hopefully the quad is vegan; most are. If not, I'll just exchange it for a couple glossimers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Okay, ordered. All three. I'm terrible.

No more nail polish until Fall collections come out (except maybe Dior Spring Ball)! Lip gloss, on the other hand, well, that's a different story...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:22 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Jojo - love both your manis! And, I have a polish that I was going to bring for you that looks similar to the new Barry M white one - will post my pic later and you can tell me if you want it. Also, I just discovered that blog last week, I really love her work!

rentaghost wrote:
Is this the right place to ask for tips on keeping nail polish from chipping? Is it down to the brand or is the secret using the base and top coats?

baps wrote:
Base coat and top coat will help. I posted some tips in here previously about helping your mani not chip. But one I've found that helps (and I can't remember if I mentioned it before) is after you've cleaned your nails with remover, wash with soap and dry them well. This is because unless you're removing your polish with pure acetone, there will be oils in your remover and any oils will contribute to faster chipping.

Don't do your mani soon after getting out the bath or shower and definitely do not soak your nails first. Water makes the nail plate expand and by the time you've painted them and it's dried, your nail plate will shrink back and this could encourage chipping.

Then the usual.... wear gloves for cleaning, don't use your nails as tools... etc

Baps is on the money! Boo to soaking nails, all my salon manis in the past chipped within an hour, apart from the one that was done without water.

Most of my manis chip within a day or so, unless I add top coat daily. I am pretty hard on my hands espesh at work. I've been really impressed with Butter London Hardwear Top Coat.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

question re: chanel black pearl... it's the one chanel color i really love but don't have, and somehow i thought it wasn't vegan. am i wrong? no scary bad ingredients in it? i've been looking for a dupe forever because it just looks so purty.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:42 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Jojo, I love the glitter and that pink goes really good with your skintone!

I forgot that the Earth Day promo was coming, I can't even muster feeling bad about participating since i've bought about six bottles of polish this whole year, and two of those were free in a promo. So I got Kerry, Frida, Lexi, Thandie, Pippa, Zuza, Tallulah, and Mimi. I'm craving summer colors (possibly because it's gray and rainy here), and I threw in Mimi so I could get my free bottle of remover and it's purty.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:49 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

bluedawg wrote:
question re: chanel black pearl... it's the one chanel color i really love but don't have, and somehow i thought it wasn't vegan. am i wrong? no scary bad ingredients in it? i've been looking for a dupe forever because it just looks so purty.

Gosh, I dunno! I was only suspicious of reds, but I can't seem to find any info about this online.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:20 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i can't remember for the life of me what i thought it had in it... guanine? actual pearl something? but somehow way back when, i had marked it as Can't Have in my brain, and now i'm all excited again. ha!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:23 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I thought we found out the guanine was synthetic? Ditto with the Lippmans.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:42 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

The images I'm seeing online for the ingredients list on the nail polish box are only showing the possibility of carmine under the "May Contain" category. Not sure if Black Pearl has its own box with different ingredients, but if it's the same generic one I've seen for other colors, I think it's safe, unless there's something else I'm missing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

well then hot diggity! :D

on another note, i pretty much never wear reds or pinks (my one exception is zoya blair, and i feel funny when i wear it, ha ha) but those pictures of barry m pomegranate are so pretty!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:13 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

They redid the boxes a few years ago to always have the may contain carmine. So a white polish will say it. Someday I'll evolve into a better vegan, but I don't lose sleep over carmine. Actually, I would probably assume Taboo has carmine lacking verification. I didn't think of it. If I have the box still I'll double check, but I usually throw them out right away.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:51 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I decided to email them to ask which colors contained animal derived ingredients (carmine, guanine, pearl, silk, or shellac), so hopefully they'll get back to me. I'll post the response here if/when I get it. I know the boxes all list carmine, but I just wanted to be sure to cover all of the bases for other ingredients for anyone wondering if there might be some exceptions floating around out there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:40 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Re: making polish stay on, I swear by rubberized base coats. I usually use Orly Bonder and love it, but I've been using CND Stickey because I was able to get a big asparagus bottle super cheap and it works just as well. I use a nail strengthener, followed by rubberized base coat, 2-3 coats of polish, then quick dry top coat (usually CND Speedey, which I love, but currently using Orly Sec n Dry and it's fine too) and my manicures pretty much never chip. I've gotten really lazy about keeping up on my nails and I can go like 2 weeks without chipping and with pretty minimal tip wear, at which point I change my polish only because the ugly amount of new nail growth.

And I use the same strengthener, base, and top coats no matter what polish I'm wearing.

Anyway, I'm currently wearing one of the Color Club Halo Hues (Cherubic, it's like a taupe/nude) and holy crepe you guys, these are some of the best holos I've worn. And they're only $10 a bottle. The holo is gorgeous and linear and shoots rainbows everywhere even in low light. It's been grey and nasty here and even under an overcast rainy sky you still get some holo. Topcoat doesn't dull it either. They're like the holo holy grail. Definitely better than anything you can easily get in the US without ordering from Llarowe or stalking etsy shops, and honestly I think these are just as intense as Ozotic, Glitter Gal, and Hits.

I also got my polishes from the latest Rescue Beauty pre-order, I got Become One and Turn It Around and Turn It Around is absolutely going to be my next mani. Ugly military green with heavy pinky coppery shimmer, eff yes!

twitter @jessilikewhoa

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:52 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Is Color Club easy to find in the US? And now I want Turn It Around, it's such a unique polish!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:56 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

baps wrote:
TWINS!!

It's lovely isn't it. I really like the colours of the Gelly polishes.

Yay! Nail twins! I'm pretty into this Gelly for sure, it's a really pretty colour & it has a super nice finish.

missmuffcake wrote:
i like the green & blue glitter together!

Thanks! Me too!!

Kitteh wrote:
Jojo - love both your manis! And, I have a polish that I was going to bring for you that looks similar to the new Barry M white one - will post my pic later and you can tell me if you want it.

Thank you! And yes, that sounds awesome! I'm so excited for our irl Aus/UK polish swap!

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Jojo, I love the glitter and that pink goes really good with your skintone!

I loooved that glitter fade and it made tip wear so much slower!! I'd never considered polish working with skin tone before but you're totally right, I think that's one of the reasons I'm loving this colour so much!

Jessi I'd never heard of a rubberised base coat until now! I might have to try one because my nails chip pretty easily.

Kitteh wrote:
Is Color Club easy to find in the US?

This! I never wanted a holo until now but those look great!

Not-For-Profit Cupcakes: Operation Icing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:05 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Holos, gellys, rubberised - it's a whole new world for me! I never knew Orly was vegan, have been sticking to Zoya, Butter, Nubar and SpaRitual which is usually mail order so it will be great to have another choice (although Zoya is now in UK Wholefoods too).
Interesting to hear someone elses experience of mixing Zoya base and top coats with other polish brands tzippy. I'm going to try Orly rubberised base coat and their top coat jessilikewhoa.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am 
Not NOT A Furry

So, all I got was a form letter back from Chanel about their cosmetics in general saying some of them may contain things like beeswax or lanolin. Grrr. Why they gotta make things so hard? Even though they said to call for more information if needed, I just replied to the email since I really really hate talking on the phone with customer service people. It didn't say to not reply to that email address, so hopefully it'll get through.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:50 am 
Ninja Master

Chanel don't have a vegan list but they are pretty great though at confirming individual products, if you have to give them product / shade name.

Reply to topic  [ 7494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266 ... 300  Next