| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My family makes fun stuff for dogs and cats!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:24 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Hello everyone :)

I am known to talk too much, so I will try to keep this quick. I found out about the dogs and cats being eaten in Asia, specifically animals being stolen from Thailand and brought to China, Vietnam, and Cambodia, and wanted to do something to help. After a friend told me about the adorable dog she adopted from Thailand, I was in contact with people that I worked with to save other dogs from the same fate. We opened our home to many dogs so far that were flown to us from Thailand. We found homes for all of the dogs but one, Dingo, as we adopted her :) Because I am a stay at home, homeschooling, animal rescuing, momma, we wanted to find a way to save other animals while still be together at home. So, I started making dog collars! Our business is called For the Love of Shallots because our girl came to us with the name Charlotte, but the girls caring for her in Thailand didn't pronounce their R's and called her Shallot :) Because of our love for her, we wanted to find something to do to help others that are stuck in life where she once was.

We started this at home business recently this year and I am really loving it. I jumped into it the same way we live our life. It is important to me to only buy from small local vendors, environmentally conscious folks, and with USA made products. Let me tell you now, NOT an easy thing to do! But I am doing it. It is true that it's more expensive this way but it's what is important to me. I want to make a quality item for you or your pet, use healthy items to create it, recycle when we can, and not trash the Earth while doing so. There are dog collar companies all over the planet, but I want to be different. I have met some really great, hard working, animal loving friends by doing things this way. The collars have kind of blossomed into other stuff as well. We make all kinds of things now and love when customers ask if we can make something that they have pictured in their heads :) With every single sale we make, we take profits and are donating them to different animal related issues. I am going to try to change it up every month or so if, and when, we get busier, but right now, we aren't busy :/ So, we have certain items that we made to donate those funds to Soi Dog Foundation (who helped us save Dingo!), some items to help Nowzad in Afghanistan (helping soldiers get their beloved adopted pets to their home after they serve.), and the rest of our sales are going to be used to help the two ladies that run our tiny, local shelter my daughter and I volunteer at that nobody seems to know about :( I would guess that I will be gathering money for them until the end of the year because I want to have enough for them to make even a small difference. After that, my kids will choose a new place or two to help out. They already have so many suggestions for animal related people or groups to help! I love doing this with them, and for the animals.

So, if you are looking for a dog collar, harness, leash, cute, fun things to put on their collars, or homemade vegan dog treats, please check our business out! We do have a website started but I just don't have the time to sit down and make it interesting and up to date. But we do often post pictures of what we have made on Facebook! I have shipped our stuff to people all over the planet in our really cool, completely biodegradeable bubble mailers, so no worries about where you are. Our USPS people kick butt!

https://www.facebook.com/ForTheLoveOfShallots

Post subject: Re: My family makes fun stuff for dogs and cats!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:49 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh, I was actually going to get my pup a new collar for xmas so I will check out your shop. I got him a brass id tag that pins directly to the fabric to cut down on jingling but it's quite big. Do you make custom sizes?