| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:11 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

I think it's just a natural outcome of a lot of people who hold that view not having posted in this thread yet. There's a lot of diversity in opinion on things like this on the forums.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:20 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I get the impression that the people who are offended by this are the same people who like to use big words and complain about whatever is currently popular in the world while drinking their obscure coffee like beverage from a remote village in a country I’ve “never heard of” while discussing books that were written by authors I “wouldn’t know about”. They are also the same type of vegans who leave passive aggressive notes for their room mates forbidding them from eating meat in the house.

As for Mother forker being misogynistic, I completely disagree. I have always understood it to mean a bigger than normal forker. Like saying this forker is the mother of all forkers... it makes no sense to insult someone or something by implying that it had relations with your mother. "Hey crasshole! You forked my mom!" that’s like shooting yourself in the foot to prove you’re a good shot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:45 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Pancakes wrote:
As for Mother forker being misogynistic, I completely disagree. I have always understood it to mean a bigger than normal forker. Like saying this forker is the mother of all forkers... it makes no sense to insult someone or something by implying that it had relations with your mother. "Hey crasshole! You forked my mom!" that’s like shooting yourself in the foot to prove you’re a good shot.
I had always understood it to be an insult about incest, and you sometimes hear "sisterfucker" too (or maybe I just hang around with the wrong sort).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:50 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

VeganMoFo does not mean Vegan Mother forker. We do not ever imply that it is, we don't make winkwink nudgenudge jokes about it. As far as I know, no one has ever contacted the people who run VeganMoFo to say that it offends them, and can the name be changed?

*I* am offended at the idea that the event is written off by some people (somewhere, I googled and found nothing) as sexist/misogynistic because of the shortened form of the name of the event. That is run by all women, none of whom hate other women. All of whom bust their asparagi at it, myself included. And it is 100% worth it every time I read tweets about how much people are enjoying it, how they're finding so many new blogs to read, how great the community is.

I'm also offended that we have this negative thread about something that strives to be nothing but positive and fun. I'm offended by people who always have to look for the shitty side of things.

If anyone wants to tell me that i'm a sexist, misogynistic dirtbag, feel free to email me, mrshubbard on the gmails.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:31 pm 
Chard Martyr

The twitter rant was awesome.
MBM for the WIN.

I'm not even going to read this thread because it's ridiculous. It's month of food, it's an awesome thing for veganism, get over it and quit making something out of nothing.

Rock on, those who created this event, and thank you for it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:31 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

mrsbadmouth wrote:
VeganMoFo does not mean Vegan Mother forker. We do not ever imply that it is, we don't make winkwink nudgenudge jokes about it. As far as I know, no one has ever contacted the people who run VeganMoFo to say that it offends them, and can the name be changed?

*I* am offended at the idea that the event is written off by some people (somewhere, I googled and found nothing) as sexist/misogynistic because of the shortened form of the name of the event. That is run by all women, none of whom hate other women. All of whom bust their asparagi at it, myself included. And it is 100% worth it every time I read tweets about how much people are enjoying it, how they're finding so many new blogs to read, how great the community is.

I'm also offended that we have this negative thread about something that strives to be nothing but positive and fun. I'm offended by people who always have to look for the shitty side of things.

If anyone wants to tell me that i'm a sexist, misogynistic dirtbag, feel free to email me, mrshubbard on the gmails.

That is a really good point. Like, I said, I don't actually find the term or anything about VeganMoFo offensive, but if I did, I would address it by trying to respectfully engage the organizers in dialogue. Even if the name included a term that I found offensive, my reaction would be "I would really like to participate in your event, but I feel uncomfortable joining an event that calls itself VeganFaggot or VeganShitOnMyFace, would you be open to considering this perspective?" I certainly wouldn't go around bashing an event meant to promote veganism. Even if I had a really strong disagreement with something about it -- which, let me emphasize again, I don't!! Totally hypothetical!! -- I would address it directly, respectfully, and with attention to our shared interest in promoting veganism.

I guess I was kinda feeling like I wanted to "defend the voiceless" in this situation, but, no, I think you're absolutely right...if people really feel strongly about this issue, the thing to do is to address it respectfully with the organizers, not go around bashing it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:46 pm 

choirqueer wrote:
"I would really like to participate in your event, but I feel uncomfortable joining an event that calls itself VeganFaggot or VeganShitOnMyFace, would you be open to considering this perspective?"

a) I am registering veganshitonmyface.com as we speak.
b) Once again, it's not the same because the event is not called VeganMotherFucker. A better example would be if we just had Vegan Month, and shortened it to VeganMo/VegMo, and 'mo' is slang for homosexual (but I don't know if that's considered offensive or not since i've never heard anyone who isn't gay use it, like fag or queer). It's the shortened version of two different words.

The thing I find funny is, we have so many different kinds of bloggers. Not everyone is from the ppk, where everyone talks about their shiitake and their balls. We have quite a few 'demure' bloggers, family-oriented bloggers, and none of them seem to have a problem with being associated with something called VeganMoFo, and I assume their readers don't either because I haven't heard of anyone dropping out because their readers were offended by the supposed implication. So I really think in this case, offensiveness is in the eye of the beholder.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:45 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

mrsbadmouth wrote:

I'm sorry :(

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:09 pm 

Momo wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

I'm sorry :(

Oh no, i'm not blaming you for starting it. I think it sucks that there is even an instance where we need a thread to discuss negative things relating to MoFo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:29 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

VeganMoFo might not be for everyone, and I think that's ok! I just hope that the people who are complaining are starting their own awesome vegan events.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:53 pm 
Grandfathered In

When you call something VeganMoFo, you know it will make people think of, you know, "mofo." You're not actually surprised that some people hear mofo and think "mother forker," are you?

That said, I think it's a great name BECAUSE it's vegan mother hubbard! Or vegan like a mother hubbard?

I don't get being offended by this. I guess if you get offended by the term "SOB"?

And how is this term misogynist? It's not an insult to say someone forks a mother. But "mother hubbard" means you fork your own mother. I can see how the incest lobby (Big Incest) would be against it, I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:47 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I never really understood how mother hubbard shortened to mofo in the first place. I always felt mofu made more sense.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:21 pm 
WELFARIST!

FootFace wrote:
I don't get being offended by this. I guess if you get offended by the term "SOB"?

On my mother's side of the family, anything that had any swearing was automatically bad because of their Christianity. I don't think it had anything to do with misogyny (at least for my peoples). Instead of Jesus Christ, my mother always said "Jesus Murphy" for example because, you know, if she took The Lard's name in vain, she would be lightening bolted out of existence instantly. Or at least ostracized from her folks and family. Or worst of all, she wouldn't get into Heaven. I remember wanting someone, a stranger, to say Jesus Christ inappropriately at some point when I was really small, you know, before my conscience for repercussions and consequences developed, because I thought to witness someone being struck down by lightening from the heavens for saying the wrong word could be a mighty interesting sight. I envisioned it like some sort of spontaneous combustion event. I didn't want that for my own mother though, so her "Jesus Murphies" were all right by me. I doubt the word fork ever crossed my mother's lips in her life. "bisque" (unless it referred to a female dog), "damn" were also verboten words in our household among others that don't come to mind right now because I haven't thought about this stuff in so long.

That said, I'm one of the defiant ones who has strayed from the path and so would call thee, my blog, thou bloggest, "Vegan MILF"... (actually I wouldn't but not for any other reason other than it just wouldn't suit a theme I'd have for a blog, were I to ever have one).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:06 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Can I sign up for VeganShitOnMyFace here?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I knew it was for Month of Food, but I also always thought MoFo was a pun. I'll stop giggling every time I see it now :(

FootFace wrote:
And how is this term misogynist?

I'm procrastinating and according to the interwebz, "mother hubbard" was a term used by slaves to describe slave owners who would rape their mothers. I think its probably an urban legend but if that's what people think, I can understand why people would find it misogynistic.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:42 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Quote:
Insulting a mother's fidelity is so powerful because it lies at the nexus at many of the most fundamental issues that a successful marriage must negotiate — saying I forked your mother is a many pronged insult that implies a large score of unpleasant things. Indeed, it suggests that:

Your father is foolish and dull. He has no idea, or no power, to keep his wife from another man. Your mother two-times him with impunity.

Your mother is a slut and a harlot. Not only does she cuckold your father, but she does so wantonly in marriage, and one implication is that she might too be busy getting some to adequately take care of you and your siblings.

Your are illegitimate, and can receive no legitimate property, because your mother is not good enough to make it into your father's stable of wives; she's no better than a common hors d'oeuvre. Because of her sluttiness, your warden of a father cannot be sure you are his, and thus he will not chance any of his hard life's work on possibly another man's child, an evolutionary disaster if there ever was one.
Your father is pathetic, and unable to provide for you. His prospects are dim, and things are so bad in your household that your mother must turn her attentions to another man so that you and your siblings get enough to eat. Not only is she in his debt, but figuratively, so are you and your father.
Further reasoning along the same lines shows why an insult like father forker or something like that would be nonsensical; a father's fidelity simply isn't as important to the health of a household as a mother's is. Unlike a mother, a father can simply work to support all of the fruits of his dalliances; in fact, as long as you're a legitimate son, a father forker might be an epithet you look upon with equanimity. It suggests that your father is powerful, or rich enough to be able to enjoy such a position. The asymmetry arises from an iron law: A member of the male sex in desperate straits is like to be less promiscuous, not more, because no female in need of property will accept him; a woman in desperate straits is likely to be more promiscuous, not less, because access to her sex is the only thing she has to sell.

Thus, it isn't hard to see why a mother hubbard, someone who forks mothers, would easily become a byword of opprobrium and contempt; to have a potential mother hubbard walking about is to have an existential insult that threatens a man's very identity as a legitimate member of his household.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questi ... motherf-er

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:18 pm 
Grandfathered In

All that is silly. It's bad to be a mother hubbard because it means you fork your mother.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

FootFace wrote:

Does that mean we have to cancel "Vegan Season of Blogging"?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ndpittman wrote:

The. Best.

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:41 am 

Fee wrote:
Quote:
Insulting a mother's fidelity is so powerful because it lies at the nexus at many of the most fundamental issues that a successful marriage must negotiate — saying I forked your mother is a many pronged insult that implies a large score of unpleasant things. Indeed, it suggests that:

Your father is foolish and dull. He has no idea, or no power, to keep his wife from another man. Your mother two-times him with impunity.

Your mother is a slut and a harlot. Not only does she cuckold your father, but she does so wantonly in marriage, and one implication is that she might too be busy getting some to adequately take care of you and your siblings.

Your are illegitimate, and can receive no legitimate property, because your mother is not good enough to make it into your father's stable of wives; she's no better than a common hors d'oeuvre. Because of her sluttiness, your warden of a father cannot be sure you are his, and thus he will not chance any of his hard life's work on possibly another man's child, an evolutionary disaster if there ever was one.
Your father is pathetic, and unable to provide for you. His prospects are dim, and things are so bad in your household that your mother must turn her attentions to another man so that you and your siblings get enough to eat. Not only is she in his debt, but figuratively, so are you and your father.
Further reasoning along the same lines shows why an insult like father forker or something like that would be nonsensical; a father's fidelity simply isn't as important to the health of a household as a mother's is. Unlike a mother, a father can simply work to support all of the fruits of his dalliances; in fact, as long as you're a legitimate son, a father forker might be an epithet you look upon with equanimity. It suggests that your father is powerful, or rich enough to be able to enjoy such a position. The asymmetry arises from an iron law: A member of the male sex in desperate straits is like to be less promiscuous, not more, because no female in need of property will accept him; a woman in desperate straits is likely to be more promiscuous, not less, because access to her sex is the only thing she has to sell.

Thus, it isn't hard to see why a mother hubbard, someone who forks mothers, would easily become a byword of opprobrium and contempt; to have a potential mother hubbard walking about is to have an existential insult that threatens a man's very identity as a legitimate member of his household.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questi ... motherf-er

Weird, that was like almost verbatim from our original "About Us" page. We've since toned it down a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:42 am 

hoveringdog™ wrote:
FootFace wrote:

Does that mean we have to cancel "Vegan Season of Blogging"?

lol lol lol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:13 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

One way or the other, the term "Vegan MoFo" gets people's attention. And considering the fact that, oh, at least 99% of us think pretty much everyone SHOULD be vegan, I am okay with something that, for better or worse, gets people's attention. What I find personally offensive is people refusing to look at issues such as factory farming, polluting the environment, etc. because they want to continue to eat what they want with impunity. THAT is offensive.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:26 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

your font color sure got my attention.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:12 am 
ol' garly cooch

Jumpin Jeebus on a pogo stick. I'm so totally over people that are so PC that you can't have a forking conversation with them.

Momo, I'm just inclined to let them have their own opinion. Do not waste your brilliant mind trying to explain this to someone who will not open their mind enough to get it. F those Anti-MOFOS and their PCBS.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:13 am 
ol' garly cooch

ndpittman wrote:

Marry Me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next