| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: VeganMoFo 2012! We're early but enthused!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:52 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I was just thinking about MOFO today, so I am excited to see this post! I was also thinking how infrequently I get to hang on the PPK anymore. Boo!

I am loving the themes everyone is coming up with. There are so many awesome bloggers out there. I didn't get through near as many as I would have liked, but am looking forward to checking them out this year!

The past three years I have had a theme:

2009 - Veganizing favorite recipes of family and friends
2010 - Chilis and Chiles
2011 - How do you get your protein

This year I really want to do "A giveaway a day" theme, but I fear that might be a little too ambitious. I want to do a lot of giveaways though, because I love them. I have a lot of people asking me to give them healthy alternatives for meals. I could look at doing something like that, maybe converting unhealthy recipes to healthier versions? I probably have more than 31 cookbooks. Maybe I could do a recipe from a different cookbook every day then give away copies of the book (although I'd have to do a lot of leg work ahead of time to try and get free copies). Gah! too many choices.

Kim Cooks Veg 4U Blog (new blog)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:49 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I missed last year's on account of switching blogs (and taking a hiatus in between) but I'm trying to develop some kind of "orange foods" theme (i.e. sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, etc.) and will certainly have to refine this a bit.

I really like the heritage ideas - Italian and Irish themes sound fun!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:29 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Booyah!

Last year I did all recipes with beans.... so I am loving those you want to do chickpeas and rice+beans themes!

I am thinking of doing a high-raw theme but we'll see.. so much easier to say that now with plentiful summer produce. ;)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:30 pm 
Tofu Pup

I've been a MoFo voyeur, but never a participant. I think I'm going to change that this year. I think I'm gonna get my Jew on and bring it for Sukkot. Stuffed foods galore! A holiday that celebrates fruits and veg? Yup. Just saying. We have the best food holidays.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:06 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Please please is there someone who could do an Eastern European theme?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:50 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm in! I've polished up and repurposed my old blog. I'm going to give it a whirl without a theme and see how that goes.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:25 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Already have commitments from publisher for 4 cookbook giveaways. Woot!

Kim Cooks Veg 4U Blog (new blog)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:07 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I was too late to the party to join last year, but this year I'm in! Searching for Mofo info led me to this forum, yay! I don't know yet if I will re-focus my blog away from mtb and triathlon racing to more food stuff now that racing is mostly done, or start a new Mofo only blog with my sister. Either way, I don't know about a theme, though it would probably help. I like the beans and rice theme and the chickpea theme. I could probably eat chickpeas every day for 31 days. I come from Nanowrimo land where it's cool to research and plan a month ahead, but the actual writing cannot start until Day 1. I will not write post ahead of time, but "pants it" as I do all November. A little pressure never hurt anyone.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:40 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

lillianp wrote:
Oooh, perhaps in tribute to Supernatural, I could just do a 'diner food' theme that even Dean Winchester would approve of. The mythical tofu burger and everything.

Thank would be AWESOME!!!!

Every year I plan on doing it and every year I make it to day two or completely forget about it. I swear this year I'll make it!!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:21 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Fallen wrote:
lillianp wrote:
Oooh, perhaps in tribute to Supernatural, I could just do a 'diner food' theme that even Dean Winchester would approve of. The mythical tofu burger and everything.

Every year I plan on doing it and every year I make it to day two or completely forget about it. I swear this year I'll make it!!!

I know, wouldn't it?! Unfortunately, due to budget, I'll probably going with the Bolivian foods theme with the zine I have for that. But I should do the Supernatural thing another time? Maybe over a longer period of time!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:10 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

lillianp wrote:
Fallen wrote:
lillianp wrote:

I know, wouldn't it?! Unfortunately, due to budget, I'll probably going with the Bolivian foods theme with the zine I have for that. But I should do the Supernatural thing another time? Maybe over a longer period of time!!

I'd say yes because while would be a lot of food to do, but making it vegan would be awesome since it's a big part of the TV show.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:29 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm thinking I might make my theme "cooking vegan on a budget" and (roughly - because I'm lazy) work out how much each of my meals costs. This is mostly because I'm feeling poor at the moment and would be able to afford to do anything fancy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:02 pm 
Huffs Nooch

It's been way too long since I've even logged in and I'm sure I've missed so much...but there's no better time to get back in the swing of thing than right before Mofo starts! I've tried and bombed the last couple years but this thread has me excited to plan things out much better this year so I can make it all the way through. I need to get my blog affairs in order and maybe recruit my mom and sister to help do some of the cooking (or babysitting!) so I can make the finish line. Thank you all for sharing your awesome ideas - it's really got me thinking!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:46 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Since I am going back to being vegan I thought I'd do the 30 day vegan challenge from Colleen Patrick-Goudrea's book. That's my plan at least.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:13 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Fallen wrote:
Since I am going back to being vegan I thought I'd do the 30 day vegan challenge from Colleen Patrick-Goudrea's book. That's my plan at least.

Great plan, I'd like to read about that :) Good luck!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:56 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I just finished the 30-day vegan challenge. It's absolutely FANTASTIC if you've never read Colleen's books or listened to her podcasts. However, if you have (like me), the Challenge is just a rehash of her previous work. I was personally disappointed, but it would be really great for most people.

I'm doing the PPK Cookbook Challenge that starts today (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22767), and it will run through Vegan MoFo. It's my first Cookbook Challenge AND my first MoFo!

I've been cooking for the past 6 years, but unfortunately my cooking repertoire has been pretty limited thus far (mostly curries - I'm Indian). So, my plan is to find recipes that require learning new cooking techniques! I've never made homemade seitan, pie crust, kale chips, vegan cheese, cashew-based desserts, bread, roasted chickpeas, baked oatmeal, spiralized zucchini noodles, stuffed peppers, falafel, tofu quiche, or lasagna. (Wow, this list makes me look like I've never cooked before...). I'm so excited to conquer some cooking fears (I'm already nervous about the seitan).

I think in future years, I will do MoFo themes like:
- rediscovering my unused kitchen appliances (pressure cooker, slow cooker, Vitamix, breach machine, Aeropress, ice cream maker, Foreman grill)
- high raw (spiralized vegetable "noodles", raw desserts, flax crackers)
- bentos
- superfoods that i've never tried (goji, cacao nibs, mulberries, hemp)
- fruits/veggies that i've never cooked with (papapya, passionfruit, spaghetti squash)
- novelty vegan items (Luna & Larry coconut ice creams, Beyond Meat, Field Roast products, soy curls)
- veganizing non-vegan south indian food (i'm south indian!)
- another cookbook challenge
- a blog challenge (Oh She Glows, Happy Healthy Life, Vegan Yum Yum)

So excited already for this!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:50 am 
Naked Under Apron

Maybe my theme should be "a freezer full of beans" - because that's what I'm looking at right now. Hmm...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:07 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Okay so I decided my theme - I'm kicking it old school and I'm going to do 30 days of Tofu Cookery. I'm intrigued my how much of a pioneer this book was in the world of veganism. I'm sure some things will be bland "hippy" food, but I'm looking forward to the experiment.

Luckily my supermarket has had a sale on tofu - I'm stocking up!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:16 pm 
Tofu Pup

Gnoe wrote:
I'm now thinking of a bento theme.. Pretty obvious duh. It can be quick (posting my lunchbox contents, small tips), or more time consuming (bento-friendly recipes) and fits in with my regular posts. It can be interesting for both (beginning) bentoists and (newbie) vegans.

Hi Gnoe, fancy seeing you here :D I was going to join in this year with bento too, since all my blog is about is bento, haha. I was pondering a secondary theme... don't know if that'd be too much for a first timer though. Looking forward to having a go, though, whatever I do :) Can't wait for lots of Graasland bento though, yours are always so amazing!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:50 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I totes forgot about mofo until today! Hmmm, what to do...

Maybe I'll veganize recipes out of this awesome 1930s/1940s (already) meatless meals cookbook that I bought last year at a book fair. That should go well with my budget, too, since I'm currently broke as a joke! Some of the recipes sound delicious, but some not so much (spinach jello with green olives? yeah.). And it has photos of smoking tomatoes and dancing silverware. Awesomeness!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:26 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Okay, I am just thinking out loud here in hopes that the PPK can help me pick. Or maybe just typing it out will help me decide. I am stuck between 3 potential themes which are all similar-but-different:

1. "My Virtual Summer Vacation" - blogging 1 meal a day, with each meal being selected from the cuisine of 31 different countries in Asia (the whole continent though, not just SE Asia or there wouldn't be enough).

2. Similar idea as above, but concentrate on 4 Asian countries and do one week of each country, with weekends maybe being "day trips" to nearby countries.

2a. If I do that above, then I might do one type of food on a given day - Monday - an appetizer from that country, Tuesday - a soup from that country, Wednesday - a dessert, blah blah blah.

3. What I mentioned earlier in this thread: veganize 31 recipes out of my favorite non-vegan cookbook, an Asian cookbook my mom cooked from extensively when I was a kid and which helped shape my palate a lot.

4. Maybe something else entirely AAAAAAAH.

My mind is in Asia. I don't know.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:29 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

lobsteriffic wrote:
Okay so I decided my theme - I'm kicking it old school and I'm going to do 30 days of Tofu Cookery. I'm intrigued my how much of a pioneer this book was in the world of veganism. I'm sure some things will be bland "hippy" food, but I'm looking forward to the experiment.

Luckily my supermarket has had a sale on tofu - I'm stocking up!

I am 100% in favor of this! This was the cookbook that taught me to make tofu that actually tasted good (the BBQ tofu recipe).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

coldandsleepy wrote:
1. "My Virtual Summer Vacation" - blogging 1 meal a day, with each meal being selected from the cuisine of 31 different countries in Asia (the whole continent though, not just SE Asia or there wouldn't be enough).

2. Similar idea as above, but concentrate on 4 Asian countries and do one week of each country, with weekends maybe being "day trips" to nearby countries.

I like both of these, but maybe option 2 a little bit more. It would be cool to pick countries with big regional differences so that it wouldn't be too samey all week. Or maybe you could sort of combine them both, and do option 2 by region- like Southeast Asia one week, East Asia the next, whatever. Either way, I'll totally read it!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:45 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I had an epiphany last night. I think one of my themes will be teaching my husband how to cook! I'll be in the US for most of November, and he'll be on his own, and I want him to eat something other than hummus/pita and biscuits. So I'm thinking I'll do at least one day a week of teaching him a simple dish that he won't have to think too much about (like scramble, chili, stuff like that).

But I'll also do some cookbook challenge stuff, and maybe something else.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:01 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I've listen to her podcast a little and have 3 of he cookbooks but really haven't read them cover to cover but I did notice some repeat recipes in the 30 day challenge. Still figure it might be a great help to my transitioning and sticking with it than my previous attempts. Thanks!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next