| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Vegan Mofo Themes and Ideas
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:17 am 
Flounceiad 2011

This will be my sixth (!) MoFo, and I'm currently thinking about revisiting classic hippie vegetarian cookbooks (Laurel's KItchen, Moosewood, The Vegetarian Epicure, etc.) and veganizing some of the old favorites I made when I was a teenager just learning to cook.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:42 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I'm doing "vegan r.a." - I'm moving back into the dorms for the first time in a couple of years and finishing up school as a resident assistant, so I'm going to be blogging about all of what that entails! I hope to cover great vegan dorm food (mini-fridge, microwave, electric kettle!), cooking in the communal kitchen (should be humorous), the occasional trip to the dining commons (I'm only getting a very limited meal plan because I prefer to cook), vegan favorites in the on-campus convenience stores and restaurants, and hosting vegan hall activities and events. hopefully this blog will provide insight into a kind of weird experience and also be a useful resource for new vegans/vegan first-years at college.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:36 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'll be focusing on the harvest. My town's farmers market is in full bloom come September. I'll also be back in my kitchen after 2 months away from home and having been cook for, I'll be dusting off my home cooking skills. First time doing MoFo, pretty stoked.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:06 am 
She's No Isa Chandra!

magnificent70s wrote:
I'm doing "vegan r.a." - I'm moving back into the dorms for the first time in a couple of years and finishing up school as a resident assistant, so I'm going to be blogging about all of what that entails! I hope to cover great vegan dorm food (mini-fridge, microwave, electric kettle!), cooking in the communal kitchen (should be humorous), the occasional trip to the dining commons (I'm only getting a very limited meal plan because I prefer to cook), vegan favorites in the on-campus convenience stores and restaurants, and hosting vegan hall activities and events. hopefully this blog will provide insight into a kind of weird experience and also be a useful resource for new vegans/vegan first-years at college.

That's a great idea! I would have loved to read that before the one year of college I lived in dorms. I'm sure there are better things to live on than PB&J, cereal, and the occasional trip to Whole Foods.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:04 am 
Flounceiad 2011

AutumnVegan wrote:
magnificent70s wrote:

That's a great idea! I would have loved to read that before the one year of college I lived in dorms. I'm sure there are better things to live on than PB&J, cereal, and the occasional trip to Whole Foods.
Seriously. So much peanut butter, hummus, celery, and pita bread was consumed the year I lived in a dorm!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Okay, I'm at 7 daily theme ideas so I think I'm just going to rotate them vs. Mondays always being Moody Foody Mondays (jk, not my theme). This way, I'll probably, probably keep a little saner with the flexibility.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:20 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

AutumnVegan wrote:

Desdemona wrote:
Seriously. So much peanut butter, hummus, celery, and pita bread was consumed the year I lived in a dorm!

thanks for the encouragement! if you have any suggestions or ideas, please send them my way! this'll be my first vegan mofo, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:24 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I will spend the first two weeks blogging about eating through Sweden (!!) and the second two weeks will focus on our harvest and canning adventures back here. Looking forward to it!

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:09 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My plan is to do "stuff, wrap & roll" So basically food with other foods inside of them. It will be all gluten free/soy free, so I have some big plans to try to make good substitutes for some gluteny/soy filled foods.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:37 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

deearess wrote:
My plan is to do "stuff, wrap & roll" So basically food with other foods inside of them. It will be all gluten free/soy free, so I have some big plans to try to make good substitutes for some gluteny/soy filled foods.

Love it! You should totally make a sushi burrito!

I'm doing a travel themed mofo, I'll be home until the 13th and then I'm travelling until the end of the month. I'm hoping I can blog every day again but I've never had to blog from the road for more than 3 or 4 days before.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:32 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I made a decision and I'm doing a month of brown bag lunches, I'm hoping to keep everything pretty simple and not do any recipes that are going to take a whole lotta work. Lotso sammiches, wraps, salads, etc. are in my near future.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jojo wrote:
deearess wrote:

Love it! You should totally make a sushi burrito!

YUM! It's getting added to the list of possibilities. And one I could totally do.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:41 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

This is a ridiculous idea and I don't think I could sustain it for an entire month, but my boyfriend challenged me to make savory meals in my donut pan so I think I might do that for a week. That donut pan doesn't get enough love so I'm tempted... mac-n-cheez rings, anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:24 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Limone wrote:
This is a ridiculous idea and I don't think I could sustain it for an entire month, but my boyfriend challenged me to make savory meals in my donut pan so I think I might do that for a week. That donut pan doesn't get enough love so I'm tempted... mac-n-cheez rings, anyone?

Ridiculous and awesome! You could totally do a month! Donut pan falafel! Donut pan shepherd's pie! Donut pan empanadas! Donut pan tofu quiches! Donut pan chocolate pies! Donut pan s'mores!

Autocorrect just suggested "don't I panic."

I've never had a donut pan, so I have no idea how realistic any of this is.

ETA: I seem to have glossed over "savory," so: donut pan tamales! Donut pan black bean burgers! Donut pan pizza! Donut pan spanakopita!

Last edited by madeleine.teacup on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:29 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I would totally love ideas for a doughnut pan that would give me an excuse to buy one.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

The donut pan is a brilliant idea!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:04 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

xanthia wrote:
The donut pan is a brilliant idea!

Same! Love it!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:59 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I am going to do a month of food-related-memories ... specifically foods that I associate with family members. Like my mom and crepes because she always made us crepes. And my dad and grits because he loves grits... and stuff like that. I hope I can make it sweet and fun to read, with some cute doodles.

I don't know what to call it though!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:04 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

That's a really nice idea! I would call it "nostalgia noshes" or something like that, haha.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:21 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

veggiesue wrote:
Mine is boring to most people - Heart Healthy Meals, in honor of my husband's recent quadruple by-pass (No, he wasn't 100% vegan but is NOW). This will include recipes from: Dr. McDougall's The McDougall Program for A Healthy Heart, Dr. Fuhrman's Cholesterol Protection for Life, Dr. Esselstyn's Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, Dr. Pinckney's Healthy Heart Handbook, and Dr. Dean Ornish's Program for Reversing Heart Disease. Too bad Dr. Fuhrman's new heart book isn't coming out until 2014.

Not boring! I've added your blog to my feed and will share it and your delicious heart-healthy meals with my meetup.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:22 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Limone wrote:

Brilliant! I have a donut pan that I would love to use more. I also have a twinkie pan that I've never made twinkies with (though I have made baked corn dogs in it).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:11 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

This is my first MOFO! I'm going to do an A-Z of gluten free vegan food.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:13 am 
Tofu Pup

I have been vegan for twenty years and this is my first Vegan Mofo. I think I am going to keep it simple and stick with accessible vegan food with a few exciting things that would bring anyone joy. I know lots of long term vegans who never know what to cook so I am going to share my every day cooking. I like cooking and will enjoy sharing the dishes that are my favourites. I hope to attract non vegans to my blog and want to show them how easy and great vegan food is.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:15 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

My first MoFo as well! I'm going to do a blog post for every year I've been vegan (plus '99 and '14) as well as a few extras thrown in there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:23 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm thinking about joining in for the first time! Not sure whether to do a theme or not...as I am currently living in a van as I travel around the country, I'm thinking maybe something to do with locally sourced food as I try to hit up local farmers markets and fruit and veg stands wherever I go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next