| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tips for newbies?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:20 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

When reading through the other threads on the MoFo forum it seems this is the first year of joining for quite a few of us.

Does anyone have any tips for unseasoned bloggers such as myself? Particularly MoFo specific ones?

Equally, if other new participants have queries maybe they can put them here? (unless it would be better to actually put them in the comments on the MoFo blog?)

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Last edited by dropscone on Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Tips for newbies?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:20 am 

For instance, should/can I easily link to other participant's blogs on my side bar?

Also, does anyone have problems reading my text (it looks a bit small to me but when I tried to change the font I got a message saying that was a premium thing I'd have to pay $30 for!)?

I am aware that my photos are blurry, no getting around that at the moment, all I've got is my cheapo phone-cam until I can find where I hid my digital camera charger. Should I just not put pictures on or are they better than nothing?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:50 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Put whatever pictures you can get! :-)

Your font looks fine on the desktop I'm currently using. Very easy to read.

This is only my second year, and I'm still kind of feeling things out too!

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:40 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

I can read your font fine! And I agree, post all the pictures. I really love your theme and yay for metric measurements!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:59 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Don't try to read every blog. I tried that one year, and I even went through and deleted all of the tumblrs and if someone was taking pictures in the dark i'd remove them from my feed, stuff like that, and it still resulted in me quitting reading other blogs less than a week in which defeats the point! Trying to read hundreds of blogs a day is just too much even if you technically have the time to do it.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:12 am 

Thanks Mihl and butterbobbin. And thanks for the tip mrsbadmouth, because I was in fact planning to do exactly that. I will break it up into manageable chunks!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:54 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yeah, this year I subscribed by email to about 16 blogs that particularly interest me and the ones I can't subscribe by email I'll add to The Old Reader... I simply can't keep up with them all. I'm trying to handpick from the PPK list, the list from my state, and the healthy/whole food category.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

If you have time and ideas ready to go, try to knock out a few posts at a time and save them for when you're feeling burnt out or don't have time to write a good post (or, like me, when you have an allergy attack and can't face cooking *and* writing a blog post).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:51 pm 

Only trouble with that is that I'm on a tight budget, starting to lack space in the freezer and am on a diet! might make a few non-recipe posts for emergencies though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:59 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

okay I don't know if I can ask this here, but someone wanted to follow me by email so I added that function but it showed me this after I added the button:

I had to close that email address because a bunch of other Sarah Ms thought it was their email address, but I don't see how to change that email address? I'll keep plugging away trying to figure it out after dinner, but if anyone has any ideas . . .

dropscone it looks good!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:00 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

dropscone wrote:
Only trouble with that is that I'm on a tight budget, starting to lack space in the freezer and am on a diet! might make a few non-recipe posts for emergencies though.

Yeah, your posts totally don't need to be all recipies / epic projects either. You can use some of our blogging prompts for quick posts.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:56 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

dropscone wrote:
When reading through the other threads on the MoFo forum it seems this is the first year of joining for quite a few of us.

Does anyone have any tips for unseasoned bloggers such as myself? Particularly MoFo specific ones?

Equally, if other new participants have queries maybe they can put them here? (unless it would be better to actually put them in the comments on the MoFo blog?)

Your font looks fine to me! I have a visual impairment, so I view a lot of websites zoomed in (I view the PPK at 125%, for example), but I can comfortably view your blog without zooming, so I'd say that most likely your font is actually a touch on the large side but still within the perfectly normal range.

My best tip is: remember that it's supposed to be fun. If you're just half-heartedly posting because you think you're supposed to, don't force yourself to keep doing it, or maybe just post less often. As a reader, I'd rather see someone post kick-ass recipes twice a week than a week of great posts followed by three weeks of "I have nothing to post today, here's a picture of my lunchbox/fridge/butt/cat again". Obviously if your goal is to post every day, try to meet your goal! But don't beat yourself up about it. Because it's supposed to be fun. :)

Sometimes if I don't have a new recipe to post, I'll do something like post a list of Favorite Quickie Snack Foods or Creative Things I've Done With Tofu or (later in the month) Recipes I've Seen On Other People's MoFo Blogs That I'm Looking Forward To Trying.

Personally, I don't stress myself out about photos. I'm not that into them. I know readers who aren't me like them a lot. So sometimes I post them and sometimes I don't. If I feel inspired to take photos of my food, awesome. If I don't, I just focus on sharing the recipe and any thrilling anecdote I might have to go with it.

Also, think about your audience. Who's reading your blog? Whom do you want to be reading your blog? Is your intended audience your family and friends, new vegans, the PPK...? I tend to write my posts with a slight bent toward an audience of non-vegans who are interested in eating more vegan food and may have little to no cooking experience, because that's just my personal style. If I wrote my posts with an audience in mind of professional vegan chefs, I would write my posts pretty differently.

And (as others have mentioned), comment on other people's blogs! Not just because you "should", or because your blog will get more traffic if you do (although, hey, those are both true :D)...but it really helps to build a sense of MoFo community AND it makes you feel good to say nice things to other people. I find it reduces the "oh god oh god there are too many blogs what do I dooooooooooooo" overwhelm -- I click around and find around 5 blogs that I want to comment on that day, I try to make at least half my comments on blogs whose authors I don't know (yet), and then when I'm done, I'm done. If I see recipes that look good and I'm going to bookmark them...that's easy, there's my comment right there: "Hi, this looks really yummy! Totally bookmarking that!" is a perfectly good comment.

Okay, well now I've spent more time writing this list of tips than I have on my actual post for the day. Hope this is helpful to anyone :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:20 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

choirqueer wrote:
My best tip is: remember that it's supposed to be fun. If you're just half-heartedly posting because you think you're supposed to, don't force yourself to keep doing it, or maybe just post less often. As a reader, I'd rather see someone post kick-ass recipes twice a week than a week of great posts followed by three weeks of "I have nothing to post today, here's a picture of my lunchbox/fridge/butt/cat again". Obviously if your goal is to post every day, try to meet your goal! But don't beat yourself up about it. Because it's supposed to be fun. :)

I think this is super helpful all by itself even.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:27 am 

Yes, that is helpful. I'm not sure I'm going to find it exactly "fun" all the time, but I do like a challenge, so I suppose that's a kind of fun.

I've been commenting on blogs where I have something to say, even though it's mostly "wow, that looks delicious". If anyone had a comment like that from me, I'm not just trolling your blog trying to get you to visit mine, I truly mean it but am just really bad at thinking of original compliments!

Also, thanks to everyone about the font being okay. I'm in a bit of a weird position in that I'm using my laptop to do most of this, even though I have a cracked screen, so I'm a bit limited in what I can see!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

dropscone wrote:
might make a few non-recipe posts for emergencies though.

This was going to be my advice! I've burned out previously, from trying to do too much. Last year I did a few things which didn't involve cooking (like a kitchen tour). They're good to have up your sleeve so that you don't exhaust yourself trying to cook and take food photos every night. Everyone needs a lazy burrito night every so often!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:55 pm 

Am I likely to peas people who follow me off if I post more than once a day? (not likely to happen regularly, but I might have a few days where I want to post separate things, and don't want to stick them in the same post).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:05 pm 
Chip Strong

It would only peas me off if you were posting for the sake of it, I think. If you have content that is worth more than one post then go for it. However, if any of it could wait for another day, it might be worth saving one as a draft in case of a day you don't feel well or run out of inspiration.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:02 pm 

I don't usually follow blogs regularly. I'm on wordpress, and something is confusing me. It has the option to 'like' a post, but I'm seeing some obviously popular posts with lots of comments but nobody seems to have bothered to 'like' them as well - is that because people have come from a different blog site that doesn't have likes? Or is it because the secret inner circle judge 'likes' to be passée or something?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:05 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

dropscone wrote:
Am I likely to peas people who follow me off if I post more than once a day? (not likely to happen regularly, but I might have a few days where I want to post separate things, and don't want to stick them in the same post).

you're not going to peas anyone off, but you should maybe save up some posts for the end of MoFo when you're starting to experience some more blog burnout. personally, i'm already feeling it, but i'm going to keep chugging along.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:07 pm 

I hope you do! I'm enjoying your posts (although I'm sad that some of the vids weren't available in my country. But I do know that's not your fault!)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:10 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ohhh, that totally did not occur to me! here's some adventure time videos that I can't watch, but you can! http://www.cartoonnetwork.co.uk/videos/adventure-time

and thanks!