| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you doing for MoFo?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:09 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

QueenV wrote:
Cookie Testing would be fun. Though if you made a batch every day you'd end up on a HUGE sugar high by the end of the month!

You are right! BUT, there are 3 new recipe from Vegan Cookies Invade... that I want to do a trail run on before I make them for the holidays

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:20 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Lixa wrote:
I was going to do traditional New England foods, the first week I might try to just post everything I make for my Halloween party because I am consumed with planning it right now to the exclusion of all else.

ooohhh! what traditional New England Foods? and hooray for being consumed with planning Halloween parties

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:38 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Kitteh wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:
I'm thinking about doing an all beans & rice month because someone told me the other day that "beans and rice is pretty boring"

Do it and prove them WRONG!

That's the plan!

mollyjade wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
Last year I did a cookbook review every day. It was fun except for one of them. Oh well.

I won't have as much time this year but I'm going to do lots of things I like. Some of it will include vegan wine!

Don't let that crank get you down. I loved your reviews last year.

I really like your reviews too!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:10 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

johnp wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
I plan to post pictures of myself dressed up as the authors of Johnp's cookbooks.

mr bran dressed as the countess constance wachtmeister?

Perhaps matching lace ruffle outfits?

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:22 pm 
Tofu Pup

Alright! This is my first year participating. I'm super pumped and hope to post mostly recipes as comics.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:31 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I'm going to be signing up! It's my first MoFo and I (kind of) have a plan...

Week 1 - Vegan On The Road. I'll be driving to and from Edinburgh that week, going to a hopefully vegan friendly wedding and staying in some fancy hotels.

Week 2 - Cookbook Challenge Week. I have a whole lotta cookbooks that I don't use enough so I'll be picking a cookbook name out of a hat & then using a random number generator to pick a page. Whatever happens we'll be choosing our breakfasts, lunches & dinners this way all week - A little part of me hopes we can have cookies for dinner every day!

Week 3 - I'm letting my newly vegan husband pick all the food this week, he'll have the same list of cookbooks from Week 2 and will hopefully pick something that includes vegetables!

Week 4 - Eating Out. I'm heading to Paris for Paris Vegan day this week & I'm going to make the eating out theme last all week. Expect plenty of restaurant reviews, pictures & Parisien fun!

I'm excited!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:43 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I am yet another newbie who started a blog just to participate with y'all.

For MoFo, I'm going to attempt to teach myself how to cook and eat new fruits and vegetables: taro, pea shoots, nopales, dragonfruit, and other random stuff from MKE's amazing international groceries. I was a very, very strict meat-and-potatoes omni, so branching out into foods that I always considered unusual or exotic has been a real treat over the past 5 years.
Actually, I'll probably be doing a lot of teaching myself how to cook "on the fly" in general, because I've always considered myself an utterly incompetent chef, and I really don't want that to continue to be true.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:48 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I'll be posting a meal a day. Either snacks or a whole meal. This is on top of my usual product and recipe review or traveling vegan eats. I figure it might be nice for newbies to see a random sampling of vegan eats.

Girl Goes Vegan

mtbVegan
@mtbVegan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:25 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Bek wrote:
QueenV wrote:
Cookie Testing would be fun. Though if you made a batch every day you'd end up on a HUGE sugar high by the end of the month!

You are right! BUT, there are 3 new recipe from Vegan Cookies Invade... that I want to do a trail run on before I make them for the holidays

It would not be a hardship.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:48 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

This is my first year participating in Vegan MoFo, and I haven't decided on a theme. I think I might do something for each day of the week and just sort of play around with the days/dates of the week! "Tuesday Tapas, Friday Finger Foods, Saturday Soups", etc. I realize that there are only 5 different letters in the week days, which is why I would also play with dates (maybe!). Any given date/number could be how many ingredients I use to make a meal or servings (earlier days could be date food for two, latter days could be party foods for the masses - 20+ people). You get the picture? I don't know...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:20 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Quote:
Pre-1980 is historical?

I was 10 in 1980, so it certainly feels like olden times. :) And the early/mid-eighties are kind of a game changing time period for vegetarian cookery, so that comes into play. Plus 1980 is a nice round number.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just thought my theme up! (sorry if this has already been said, I haven't read the rest of the posts)

I'm going to do a meal that highlights a different/under-used spice in my cabinet each day! Sort of like Iron Chef: Spices.

May I will even stop by the spice place and get a few new/fun ones to try.

And my dad is bringing me my mom's collection of recipes on the 13th (I'm doing something with them for her for winter holiday present stuff, not just sneaking off with them), and I am going to try to veganize a bunch of our family recipes. I think this will make a nice vehicle for using more of my spices...since most are ones she gave me anyways.

there also may be a variety of cupcakes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:59 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I think I am going to do weekly themes for M-F and then do one for each Sunday and Saturday. On Saturdays I want to do Sweet Saturdays and bring a treat to work. They probably won't be anything elaborate but I will get some pics of my coworkers--all omnis eating them.
One week's theme is kind of funny!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:56 pm 
Saggy Butt

MoFo is already starting next week! that's so soon! But I definitely want to participate. Last year was so much fun.

I don't really know what I'm going to post about yet. I have a vague set of goals for what I'd like to do during MoFo, but other than that, I'll probably blog about whatever food-related things I happen to think of that day. I would like to take the time to cook some fancy dishes, though, and I have a couple of photos and products/restaurants I've been meaning to write about so I think I'll use those, too. I think my main goal is to get myself to actually post on my blog regularly, because the last time I did that was... during last year's MoFo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:53 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I am going to do daily themes that I am still working on.
I am woefully not prepared.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:02 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

In keeping with my theme of "Vegan in Law School," I will mostly be stealing other peoples' ideas and trademarking them. I will also post lots of self-important bits about how I'm too busy to cook, but I'm gracing you people with a picture of me and my miso anyway because I'm IN IT FOR THE PEOPLE.

(Soup really will be a theme, though. Also, sleep-deprived rambles. Sounds like burn ward anecdotes, too, it all likelihood.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:11 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

erawka wrote:
In keeping with my theme of "Vegan in Law School," I will mostly be stealing other peoples' ideas and trademarking them. I will also post lots of self-important bits about how I'm too busy to cook, but I'm gracing you people with a picture of me and my miso anyway because I'm IN IT FOR THE PEOPLE.

(Soup really will be a theme, though. Also, sleep-deprived rambles. Sounds like burn ward anecdotes, too, it all likelihood.)

hey! law school theme buddies! I am determined to make time for cooking, but with the amount of stuff due in November, all the writing will be those same sleep deprived ramblings :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:00 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I will be blogging about stuff and things at the blog in my sig. I may do a Rachael Ray week since I have a subscription to her magazine.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:34 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Wait, I think I just figured it out: every day, I'm going to try to cook with an ingredient I've never cooked with (and preferably never eaten) before. Palate expansion!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:14 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Fizzgig wrote:
erawka wrote:

hey! law school theme buddies! I am determined to make time for cooking, but with the amount of stuff due in November, all the writing will be those same sleep deprived ramblings :)

YESSS. We can be self-important together! I'm at championofthesemicolon.blogspot.com - where you at? and what year are you? I'm a 2L, full time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:03 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Wow some people sound so organised!!!! I've just joined the forum and am participating in Mofo for the first time as I have never had the time to dedicate to it before. I have a few ideas, lets hope they can sustain me for a month!!! Happy writing everyone!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:02 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

I will be blogging at my regular blog: http://pandawithcookie.blogspot.com/
It isn't a food blog, but it will be next month. I got most of my themes set out last night and I hope to get some pre-posts done this week so I won't feel pressured every day. I'm doing things such as Vegan Cookbook Favorites: recipes I have made a lot that never get old and Tasteless Tablescapes: what other people set their table with when the don't have the money to buy 142 sets of dishes to match the 142 tablecloths that match their 142 living room wallpapers.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:14 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

pandacookie wrote:
I will be blogging at my regular blog: http://pandawithcookie.blogspot.com/
It isn't a food blog, but it will be next month.

That's good to know. I have been hesitating about joining MoFo because my blog isn't a food blog either.

True to form, I will probably jump in at the very last minute, completely unprepared!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

johnp wrote:
all retro-veg: cooking recipes from old vegetarian/vegan cookbooks

the oldest one i have is 1897, and i'll probably cut it off somewhere in the late 70s to very early 80s.

i've been doing some advance work since i will be on a business trip the first week in november, and i've been quite pleased with most of what we have tried so far. last night we had a meal from 10 Talents (1968 Adventist vegan book), which was amazingly delicious: millet-pumpkin seed patties with cashew gravy (gluten-free and soy-free, too).

Love this idea and I want those millet-pumpkin seed patties! Also, thank you for not calling late 80s retro because then I would have to feel old.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:35 am 
Kale Wreath

I'm just doing a 'what a busy vegan Canadian grad student in Tokyo eats'. Photos of food/products, plus the occasional recipe here and there. If I can manage to post each day, I will be quite proud of myself!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next