| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan in Financial District?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:08 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

So I'm not longer sticking around Midtown, so no more Waverly or Maoz. I'm usually around the Financial District and just to give you an indication of how it seems from the outside in; I spent an hour inside a McDonald's at the only functioning payphone one night when my phone was out of commission.

There are alot of cool places there, creperies, sushi, etc etc. Nothing but Indian places indicate actual vegan options on the menu, and even then they're indicated as "vegetarian" and we just have to ask about ghee and yogurt/cheese.

I'm literally all the way downtown. Two blocks from South Ferry. Are there any options around here? Stealing food from the protesters is not exactly an option...just saying.

Post subject: Re: Vegan in Financial District?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:38 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Zeytuna on the corner of william and maiden lane/john st has a huge buffet in the basement with lots of vegan stuff - many salads, dips, etc (nothing's labeled vegan but a lot of things are obvious and the staff is usually helpful). They also have vegan sushi and the upstairs deli counter has (admittedly mediocre) vegan burritos. Jubilee has fewer pre-made vegan options but also has sushi and soup.

There's an Israeli place on Ann Street near nassau that has falafel and some other vegan options (also, good pickles!), and Sam's falafel cart in zucotti park is good too. There's a new falafel place on fulton near william that has labeled vegan options as well. There's also a well regarded middle eastern place on maiden lane that I've never tried, but I bet it has good vegan options too.

Hale and hearty also labels their vegan soup, there's one on john st at william. And there are a bunch of chipotles around. Not that chain restaurants are the most exciting, but that's mostly what's down there. There used to be a juice bar/health food-y place in WFC that had seitan sandwiches, but I'm not sure if it's still there.

If Quartino is still in the seaport, that's a good option for a nicer meal, just ask them to use dried pasta rather than fresh.

It is kind of a wasteland down there, but there are a fair number of places that have decent vegan food.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:53 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I had been googling vegan financial district for a couple years until I basically just started preparing my own lunch every day.

Aiee got Sam's falafel, my current favorite choice, and Hale and Hearty. I think the new falafel place mentioned is Chickpea, which does baked falafel. They're pretty good too, but a bit of a hike from where you are. The maiden lane place is probably Alfanoose. I like them, but they're expensive and overall I preferred Sam's.

I also liked Just Salad a lot, and Zigolinis' salad bar. No 1 Little House is a chinese place with some vegan options.

I know it doesn't really help to say this, but you just missed Little Lad's Basket, an absolutely fantastic vegan buffet. They've just reopened in the Lower East Side if you ever find yourself up there. I need to rep them when I can, it was my favorite place down here by far.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:30 pm 
FAYGO

This may be too far for you, but Crisp falafel is a bit north of Zuccotti Park. Some of the food trucks around there have vegan options, too, but the truck that says dolmas and hummus is lying.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:54 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I actually want falafel like 72% of my time in the city. Maoz was my main squeeze in midtown, but now that I'm around there, I've been looking for a good replacement. Cool!

As far as salads go, I'm not much a fan of them tbh, I'm kind of the worst vegan ever. I do think that it's worth a shot! I'm going to give all of these places a try. I love all the Indian food down here but I'm uncertain about how often I want to buy dinner near here anyway. Breakfast is probably the biggest issue around these parts. Def trying all of these places though, the boy won't feel left out and neither will I.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:42 am 

Ah, that breakfast comment reminds me, Leo's Bagels has a couple tofu cream cheese spreads. I'm partial to their "No Egg" Salad.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:47 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm so glad this thread came up. My office is moving from midtown to downtown shortly and I have no idea what's still in the financial district.

Does anyone know what trucks with vegan options are around in the area? Or know where can I get the info?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:59 am 

The V Spot had a mobile truck directly across the street from my office about a year ago, but it's since closed. Again, I know, not terribly helpful.

There's a couple 99% Vegetarian carts (that's the name) around here. One is on Front St near Wall St, the other is in Zuccotti Park. I haven't been to the former in about half a year and the latter in a couple years so things might have moved. Aside from those the only trucks I know of in the area with vegan options are Sam's and Alan's, also in Zuccotti park. Both are competing falafel carts. I'm a Sam's man myself, but I know of Alan loyalists as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:11 am 
FAYGO

Haha! I was one of those 99% carts near OWS yesterday and was wondering if they'd just hopped on the bandwagon. Good to know that was always their name.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:10 pm 

That's pretty funny. Makes me curious though if their name and location are helping their business at all.