PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:42 pm 
Hip Goiter

Anyone?

blog/website
London bakery

Post subject: Re: by chloe just opened in the west village
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:49 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I just went there for lunch today. The food was AWESOME. I had a guacamole burger--it was one of the best sandwiches I've ever had. I also got a salted caramel ice cream, though I'd hoped to get an ice cream sandwich and they were sold out. The ice cream was good (it was flavoured really well), in a little cup with a wooden spoon like I used to get at cafeteria lunch in grade school. My friend had a green smoothie and espresso cookie (he's already had a sandwich before meeting me) and both were terrific. I wanted to get the mac and cheese and the air baked sweet potato fries, but the burger was deliciously filling, so those will be for next time. There's brunch on the weekend and I want the cinnamon roll and tofu scramble.

Also on the menu: hot chocolate with marshmallows!

The place was mobbed--it's an order-at-the-counter place, and there were a ton of people getting grab and go and takeout. We had to wait briefly to get a table, but were able to sit and eat. There are two tables out front too. There were a lot of grab-and-go options for takeout without ordering.

The dessert/baked good display was beautiful: the hostess-esque cupcakes, raspberry tiramisu cupcakes, banana bread, chocolate chip and espresso chip cookies, and more. Lots of GF options.

The best part: Chloe was working behind the counter, super sweet and beaming. I'm really happy for her. The food was good, and it's clear everyone there was loving it, though they couldn't all have been vegan, so it's a great way to get people excited about vegan food in the congested greasy diner area around NYU.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:23 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I'll be checking it out on Monday :)

Found out from a friends FB feed and came here to confirm. Congrats to Chef Chloe :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:51 am 

I ate there again yesterday. Next to a group of 8 firefighters enjoying their burgers and subs.

The guac burger is just so good. I also had a small mac n' cheeze--it's a creamy squash sauce, not exactly cheezy, but it has great texture and the big pasta shells work well with it. Also, banana chocolate chip cake. My friend had the air baked fries which are terrific with a regular burger, also really good. Beet ketchup!

The line was out the door again even after the lunch rush. It's so great people are so excited about vegan food!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:25 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I must go! I'm headed downtown today so maybe later I'll grab some to go.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:13 pm 

you guys. the taco quinoa salad with avocado, crema, and chorizo. so so good.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

Guac burger, meatball sub, cookies, cookies, cookies. These are the things I've tried. The only thing that is messed up here is that the packing, while adorable, is TOO much waste.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:52 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

How long are the lines/waits here? :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:35 am 

eight wrote:
How long are the lines/waits here? :)

It's a mob scene at peak hours. The space is comparably small. But not all of the people towards the counter are in line to order--some are waiting for pickup food.

I want that taco quinoa salad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:45 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Finally made it there. The Guac Burger is unreal. I even took a non-veggie friend who admitted to being full and couldn't finish hers.

Such good food, can't wait to go back.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:30 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I went twice and have already tried half the menu. I was amazed by everything except the mac and cheese but that's a very spiritual thing, you know.

I'd start with the meatball sub or a burger. Can't go wrong. Get there between 11 and 4 for the breakfast because it's also mindblowing. I only wish for an english muffin-style breakfast sandwich because I bet Chloe's would be the best. Everything tasted homemade to me and despite the high traffic, the service is great.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:12 pm 

The food here is so good--fantastic. But the atmosphere is just awful, to the point of unbearable. I went for brunch today at a non peak hour. The tofu scramble was fantastic, and the quinoa hashbrowns wonderful. The cinnamon roll: AMAZING. But the lines, the crowds, the horrid seating situation, the awful loud rude people---it's just too much. I don't know what the restaurant's plan is to sort out their space problems, but I hope they figure something out. I'm going to have a hard time taking the plunge to go back there given how awful everything but the food is.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:49 pm 
Hip Goiter

molasses jane wrote:
The food here is so good--fantastic. But the atmosphere is just awful, to the point of unbearable. I went for brunch today at a non peak hour. The tofu scramble was fantastic, and the quinoa hashbrowns wonderful. The cinnamon roll: AMAZING. But the lines, the crowds, the horrid seating situation, the awful loud rude people---it's just too much. I don't know what the restaurant's plan is to sort out their space problems, but I hope they figure something out. I'm going to have a hard time taking the plunge to go back there given how awful everything but the food is.

DAYUM! I was in NYC last weekend and was so preoccupied with shows and the Broadway Cares flea market that I didn't even leave the theatre district (I know it's despicable) and completely forgot that By Chloe was the 1 food destination I wanted this trip (let alone Superiority Burger...and Lula's...fork I wasted some opportunities!). Now I'm kind of glad I missed it - it'll be around next time I'm in and maaaaybe fingers crossed the crowds will be more manageable??/

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:06 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I went for lunch last week and had the kale Caesar (delicious and very filling) and the fries (also delicious and I loved the beet ketchup). But I totally agree with Molasses Jane that the atmosphere is lousy. I went on a weekday at what I thought was an off time (2:30 in the afternoon) and it was still crowded - line to order almost to the door, had to wait for a seat, then had people hovering over me waiting for me to leave so they could claim my seat . Kind of an unpleasant way to eat.

I'll go again since the food was good and there are other things I want to try, but I'll definitely take it to go next time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Any tips for what off peak times would be for a visit? I've been twice recently at times I would consider off peak and the line has been out the door and on the sidewalk. Now that the weather is nice I wouldn't mind getting it to go and eating in the park, but the line! Maybe this summer will be better due to less NYU students?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:14 pm 
Hip Goiter

God when I went in May at like 2pm or 3pm in the afternoon, I figured it would be a good time, and it was still a 40 minute wait-- to order to-go!!! It was INSANE horrible. The food was fantastic but not enough to ever ever make me go back into that scene again.

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:11 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I have not been able to try this place yet because I haven't had the time/desire to stand in line. I don't see how this can be sustainable, though popularity is usually a good thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:34 am 
Hip Goiter

I'd say if you do go, don't order a lot - which I know is the whole point but hear this: When I went, I ordered to-go to bring back for several people, so it was a pretty big order. Because of this, I think I was put on the back burner to wait until they could focus on me or something. So like, I had one or two guac burgers in that order. People who ordered just a guac burger after me were given theirs before one for me was put in my bags (I could see where my bags were set up). I had every kind of salad, and the salad maker person would make them and give to the people who ordered 20 minutes after I did before one went in my bag. It took me asking what was going on after more than a half hour wait for them to start actually allocating food to my order. It was infuriating.

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:50 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Well I hope this suit doesn't result in bychloe closing...

http://nypost.com/2016/06/10/no-way-a-s ... rant-suit/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:44 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I finally went! Dinner was a mob scene as usual so I dined elsewhere and came back after a movie, for dessert. I had chia chip icecream, it was ok. My BF got a tiramisu cupcake that was pretty rockin. I was so stunned to be inside without a line I could barely take it all in. Would love to have a meal there some day.