| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pure Food & Wine
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:58 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I haven't been there yet. Crazy, I know. Have you?

Post subject: Re: Pure Food & Wine
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:11 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I liked it. The food was interesting, and although there were a couple of dishes that fell flat (one squash soup thing stands out in my mind as not-that-great, and their sushi tasted pretty much like sushi you'd eat anywhere but cost a WHOLE lot more.) I definitely tried some things I'd never had, or at least never had in exactly that way, and a few of the dishes were pretty incredible (some kind of salad involving pea shoots, spanakopita w/ some sort of cashewy yogurty sauce, a little dessert tart with caramel and chocolate and sea salt, ravioli in cream sauce. Mmm.)

Dining companion and I both got the tasting menu, which was nice because we got to try lots of things, and the majority of the courses he got and the courses I got were different, so I feel like we got to try a big chunk of the menu.

Would I go again? Probably not. Worth it once, but probably not worth the nearly $200 a repeat would cost.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:37 am 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

want, but for that kind of money it's sort of hard not to just want to go to candle instead.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:14 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

calcuhater wrote:
want, but for that kind of money it's sort of hard not to just want to go to candle instead.

yeah, this!

I've never been.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:29 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I had a $100 gift certificate to there once, so I had the tasting menu and it was really good. It was a couple of years ago, but I still remember the melt-in-your-mouth tamales and the AMAZING ice cream trio for dessert.

I went there one other time without a gift certificate and I think I got some sort of ravioli or lasagna and thinking that I was still pretty hungry afterwards.

I went through a phase where I was obsessed with One Lucky Duck's chocolate Macaroons, that they used to sell at Whole Foods. Expensive, and soo addictive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:12 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

My (omni) Mom was in town last year at this time and since I was feeling really really guilty about pretty much my everything I have ever done in my life, I decided to brake open my piggy bank and we (me her and my also omni sister) went.

My Mom tried very hard to be polite but she just didn't "get it".

She couldn't understand why there wasn't any bread on the table; she didn't understand some of the ingredients; she couldn't understand why the portions were so small and the food was so expensive..... (then again my Mom can't grasp why honey isn't vegan we have that conversation every single year).

She was just .......I guess the word would be ....perplexed by by the whole experience.

I should also add that we have in the past gone to Candle 79 and Blossom and S'Nice and even though she isn't vegan she enjoyed all of those. In fact she really liked Candle so I know its not the fact that it was a vegan restaurant or that the food was vegan.

But something and really I am not even sure what-the food -the presentation maybe- just left her dumbfounded.

I thought the food was quite good but it is hard for me to really be objective it because she was so uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:16 pm 
FAYGO

I got the Groupon, so I ordered the chocolate truffles and the chocolate cherry macadamia cookies from One Lucky Duck. They came with a free sample of something that contained honey, which was kind of annoying. I gave it to my mother but would have been pissed if I lived in a totally vegan house. The cookies were tasty but didn't taste like chocolate at all, just mashed up dried fruit, which I can (and occasionally do) make myself. The truffles, however, were major. Really chocolatey and decadent, though the chocolate chunks on the outside were kind of bitter (but I like that).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:11 am 
Member type 4

pastabake wrote:
...spanakopita w/ some sort of cashewy yogurty sauce

Was the sauce more of a tahini or a tzatziki? If you found a place that serves convincing vegan tzatziki, you just made the heart of this greek girl flutter. Want. Want it now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:23 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

They called it a tzatziki, but it definitely didn't taste like any tzatziki I remember having before becoming vegan. It was more like a slightly-sour cashew cream sauce with cucumber and garlic. Good, but maybe not what you're after.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:01 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

So in the past 2 hours I've posted like crazy as it's friday and I moved to a new city and don't know a lot of people... sorry. :)

YES, last Christmas my mom visited me in New York and she took me out to dinner there... WE TOTALLY SPLURGED AND IT WAS AMAZING!! She's omni and I was worried she wouldn't like it as she hadn't been exposed to raw food. Maybe it was the organic wine that we ordered, (about 3/4ths of the bottle in we realized it's heavvvy alcohol content), but she was practically yelling (in spanish), "This is the food of the Gods"!

She started with a "ravioli" dish which was I think beets and some kind of nut cheese. I can't remember what I had to start with other than I practically licked the plate. My main dish was an tamale/enchilada type dish which was wonderful. You could see the ground corn and the inside also had this creamy cheve-like nut cheese.

For dessert we shared an ice cream popsicle dish that was dipped in chocolate... incredible!

I hope you enjoy your first visit!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:18 pm 
Member type 4

pastabake wrote:
They called it a tzatziki, but it definitely didn't taste like any tzatziki I remember having before becoming vegan. It was more like a slightly-sour cashew cream sauce with cucumber and garlic. Good, but maybe not what you're after.

I once made my own vegan tzatziki with supposedly unsweetened/flavorless soy yogurt. After letting it sit in the fridge to get appropriately garlicky, I sampled it and screamed in horror because the unsweetened yogurt was definitely sweet and slightly vanilla flavored. Those mustards.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:45 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I went with a sizable group of out of town family shortly before my wedding. Two people totally familiar with raw, one Mom afraid of new things, two uninitiated Aussie parents, and one fiance grumpy about prices. This was 4 years ago? Anyway it was a success. I loved the food, fiance was totally won over, and most of the parents seemed to like it. We had a lovely table outside and definitely had wine. Dessert too. The bill must have been insane. My husband is talking now about going again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:53 am 
Semen Strong

I loved it. I wouldn't have picked it myself, because I thought the same thing as others here did - for that price why not go to Candle also I was a little unsure how much I'd like a full raw dinner at the time.

It was amazing. I think if you go for the "safe" bets - like the raw lasagna, which is such a staple, you'll have a less good experience. We had one person order that and he felt that it was colder than it should have been for maximum enjoyment, but otherwise delicious. I had the daily special and it was perfect and incredible.

Honestly after having been there, I would go there over Candle 79 and Blossom because I feel like the food is really innovative and special. Candle and Blossom are good solid restaurants, but Pure really kicks it up and is to my mind head and shoulders above the rest.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:55 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

fabulous_muscles wrote:
pastabake wrote:

I once made my own vegan tzatziki with supposedly unsweetened/flavorless soy yogurt. After letting it sit in the fridge to get appropriately garlicky, I sampled it and screamed in horror because the unsweetened yogurt was definitely sweet and slightly vanilla flavored. Those mustards.

have you tried the cashew cucumber tzatziki in veganomicon? it's crazy good

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:19 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I went to Pure a while back and a I got the tasting menu. I felt that some things were either really good or a miss. The soup was really bad, it was a greenbean soup that was so watered down. It tasted really bad. The cashew cheese is amazing, which was in the squash blossoms. You have to be really adventurous to like this place I think. The best part is dessert, some of the best desserts I've had. It's worth it to go there for just desserts, they are really good. The tasting menu was really good. I think it's one of the only vegan friendly restaurants in NYC that does it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:17 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I loved our dinner there! The portions were small for such large prices, but everything was really good--especially everyone's desserts.

I also want to say that I have unusual food intolerances that lead to me having trouble and/or limited selections at restaurants, but Pure Food and Wine takes the cake for being allergy/intolerance/avoidance-friendly--if you ask, they have separate menus for almost every kind of dietary need. (In addition to top-8-type allergen-free menus, they have a nightshade-free one! An allium-free one! etc, etc)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:38 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've been a few times. The tasting menu was REALLY fun when I did it with 2 omni chefs. The last time I enjoy my rawvioli and the dessert is always good. It's not a place I would go on my own dime again.

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:49 am 
Chip Strong

I have been and love it. it is a very beautiful setting with incredible food. But I felt like most people were there for the novelty of it all and seemed very snobby (sorry for the judgement; just my opinion)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:24 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Haven't been there either! Only the snack bar off to the side and enjoyed the "marshmellow" pie thing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:31 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

my mommmmmm is coming into town soon!!! I am going to ask her to take me againnnn. consolation prize for having to meet her new bf.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:52 pm 
Hip Goiter

Can I get a hell yeah or a hell no on whether Pure is really worth the money? I am going to NYC next Saturday (21) with 4 vegans from here for a day trip, and they decided to go to Pure for dinner. I knew it was expensive, but looking at the menu...hot damn. Even the desserts are like $20! That's crazy ! I love raw food and I know that Pure is supposed to be the best, but I hath no money. Should I go? Would it be crazy rude not to go (when I'm already ditching the group for a 2pm matinee), or a crazy mistake I'll regret for not going? Ahhhh. And the portions are really tiny, right, so I can't just order an app or an entree? (Or can I?)

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:27 am 
FAYGO

Please keep in mind that I'm not really into raw food when reading my comments.

I used my Groupon a few weeks ago. We all got appetizers, entrees and desserts and left full (but not uncomfortably so), but I think I would have been hungry on just an entree.

I ordered the day's special appetizer and enjoyed it. I LOVED the ice cream trio dessert. Can't say enough good things about that dessert! It was creamy and the spices were amazing and the presentation was lovely. Unfortunately, I hated my entree. I ordered the ravioli and they came with a huge pile of really thick sauce that I found kind of nauseating (I actually felt kind of sick when I got home). Thankfully, not much of it got on the ravioli (it was just a pile of sauce in the middle of the plate), but I didn't particularly care for the flavor of the ravioli themselves, either. Thankfully, it came with asparagus, which I love more than anything.

Personally, I'd only go back for dessert, but if you're into raw food, you'd probably have better luck.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:20 pm 
Hip Goiter

I'm sad the dinner plans for Pure this Saturday fell through (well the person who was supposed to make the reservation made it at the wrong restaurant and now there's no room). I have to go sometime this summer, if anyone is interested to join me.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:59 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Pure Food is actually my favorite restaurant in NYC.
I love the cheeses and the raviolis. Don't even get me started on the deserts.
It is pricey enough that I will only really go for my birthday (which is totally coming up, hooray) but I always feel like the experience is worth the money if you can afford it comfortably.
But I have never had the soup, maybe according to everyone else here... don't get the soup. :)