| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: John's on 12th Street - vegan menu
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:59 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Has anyone tried the vegan menu? What did you think? I have a date there in November.

Post subject: Re: John's on 12th Street - vegan menu
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:37 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

wanna.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:59 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I went last night!

I had vegan garlic bread (yum)
Stuffed mushrooms: really good, but I cannot for the life of you tell you what it was actually stuffed with. it was the texture of mashed beans, but didn't taste beany. It was puzzling, and I forgot to ask my waiter.
Seitan alla Rosa: Seitan with artichokes, fire-roasted peppers, and a marsala wine mushroom sauce. The seitan is really, really soft here and doesn't have much chew to it. It tasted breaded, but wasn't. It was good, but not on the level of the seitan at say, Candle 79. The rest of the dish was really tasty, and it came with a side of spaghetti with marinara. Super-filling. I think if they play with their seitan recipe a bit, this would be an amazing dish.
Chocolate Cannoli was the highlight, but then again, when isn't it?

All in all it was really good, and it is a really great atmosphere-wise. Total candle-lit date-night place. Also, they only take cash (but have an ATM inside). It's crazy to think about this place being open since 1908! It reminded me a whole lot of my grandparent's old italian restaurant.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:22 am 
Tofu Pup

My Zoetrope wrote:
I went last night!

I had vegan garlic bread (yum)
Stuffed mushrooms: really good, but I cannot for the life of you tell you what it was actually stuffed with. it was the texture of mashed beans, but didn't taste beany. It was puzzling, and I forgot to ask my waiter.
Seitan alla Rosa: Seitan with artichokes, fire-roasted peppers, and a marsala wine mushroom sauce. The seitan is really, really soft here and doesn't have much chew to it. It tasted breaded, but wasn't. It was good, but not on the level of the seitan at say, Candle 79. The rest of the dish was really tasty, and it came with a side of spaghetti with marinara. Super-filling. I think if they play with their seitan recipe a bit, this would be an amazing dish.
Chocolate Cannoli was the highlight, but then again, when isn't it?

All in all it was really good, and it is a really great atmosphere-wise. Total candle-lit date-night place. Also, they only take cash (but have an ATM inside). It's crazy to think about this place being open since 1908! It reminded me a whole lot of my grandparent's old italian restaurant.

Thanks for the review! I'm really looking forward to eating here. I remember when good vegan italian food was near impossible to get because of the lack of good non-dairy cheese. Glad that those days seem to be gone!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:29 pm 
Joking!

what what what? I'm going here, just have to convince the bf to go out on a fancy date night.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:30 pm 
Inflexitarian

ok just made a reservation for tonight. have friends in town, one's veggie and one isn't (and appreciates having the choice of not eating vegan). Just read the yelp reviews. If anyone has any dishes they recommend or don't recommend, put it here! I'll report back.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:41 pm 
Inflexitarian

So I agree with the above review that it was filling. It's 3 hours later and I'm still a little too stuffed. Appetizers: the avocado bruchetta was good. Entrees: I had seitan parm, was fine but not blow your socks off. Big portion, plus spaghetti. Husband had Seitan ala Rosa, he said it was tasty, sauce was good. I tried it and liked it but again not incredibly memorable. My friend had polenta with portobello mushrooms. I liked this dish. Our omni friend had goat cheese ravioli and he liked it.

Dessert: vegan chocolate cannoli was great, and panna cotta was pretty good.

They were very friendly, our waiter extremely attentive. The owner Mike came over to chat with us as dessert was being served. He wanted to which of us ordered vegan and what we thought. He shared some anecdotes including how he was inspired to create the cannoli and we talked a lot about food and what having a restaurant means to him.

It is a good thing to have a place that serves both omnis and vegans. As I said to the waiter, it's a step above a normal restaurant where you know there will be 1 or 2 veggie items, or you can have the chef prepare something for you. To acknowledge that there's a desire for a whole vegan menu is very good progress for a restaurant that still serves veal.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:05 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Wow I didn't know there was vegan italian food in nyc. It's cool that restaurants of all kinds are starting to add vegan options. This reminds me of our restaruant where we have a vegan menu and regular menu. Isa you should also check out my family's restaurant 3 Brothers Pizza Cafe in Long Island. We have a full vegan italian inspired menu with things like vegan mozzerella sticks, vegan pizza, pastas like penne alla vodka, entrees like seitan parmasan and so much more! We also do vegan brunch every sundays!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:26 pm 

NOOOO! I will be on a strict credit card budget when I'm in new york in December! I really wanted to go here! About how much is the price range? I may have to splurge!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:33 pm 
Inflexitarian

4 of us spent about 55 pp, included 1 appetizer for the table, 1 salad, some extra bread, 1 bottle proseco, a round of beers, entrees & 2 shared desserts, tax/tip.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:43 pm 

JillW wrote:
4 of us spent about 55 pp, included 1 appetizer for the table, 1 salad, some extra bread, 1 bottle proseco, a round of beers, entrees & 2 shared desserts, tax/tip.

Well I would only be an entree and maybe a beer so I may be able to swing that! Now for the real issue, will I feel like the Lonesome Loser if I go in alone?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:00 am 
Inflexitarian

the vegan entrees were about 16-18. and maybe the owner will come talk to you like he did us. I would offer a meet up there but now I'm pretty broke!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:40 pm 
Tofu Pup

i went there a couple weeks ago with my parents and we really enjoyed it. we had the vegan avocado bruschetta (make sure you say vegan cus they had a non vegan one on special that night, too) & i had the seitan alla rosa & vanilla cannoli. everything was really good and id definitely go back. my parents really liked their non vegan entrees & cheesecakes, too..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:13 am 
FAYGO

FYI, over the weekend, I was told their cannoli aren't cannoli, they're stuffed pizzelles. That's the number one food lie for pissing me off (that doesn't involve animals). I still want to try their food, but I'm not in as much of a rush as I was.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:20 am 
Tofu Pup

veganchefjay wrote:
Wow I didn't know there was vegan italian food in nyc. It's cool that restaurants of all kinds are starting to add vegan options. This reminds me of our restaruant where we have a vegan menu and regular menu. Isa you should also check out my family's restaurant 3 Brothers Pizza Cafe in Long Island. We have a full vegan italian inspired menu with things like vegan mozzerella sticks, vegan pizza, pastas like penne alla vodka, entrees like seitan parmasan and so much more! We also do vegan brunch every sundays!

Hey Jay, I've been to your place twice and both times have been excellent! Keep up the good work! I'll certainly be back next time I come out to visit my folks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:24 am 
FAYGO

veganchefjay wrote:

I thought the exact same thing when I saw this, Jay. I've been to your place for dinner and loved it, but now you do brunch?! Holy shiitake! Is that menu online anywhere?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:06 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

veganchefjay wrote:

Jay! I was wondering if you had come over to the new boards yet! I'm thinking of coming by next week for brunch. Actually, I think I might just start a thread about your restaurant. It deserves its own thread, really.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:06 pm 

Puma wrote:
JillW wrote:

Well I would only be an entree and maybe a beer so I may be able to swing that! Now for the real issue, will I feel like the Lonesome Loser if I go in alone?

Nick the owner did come and talk to me. He was very nice! The food was amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:36 pm 
Inflexitarian

Maybe Nick has been following this thread! (Hi Nick thanks for making vegan food!)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:56 am 
So Totally Yiffy

i was super psyched when i heard about this since its so close to me and the almighty Three Brothers is so far away, but i havent gone in yet. wish they had mozzarella sticks but then again, theres only so much you can do to keep up with 3Bros stronghold on amazing vegan italian food. (edit: didnt even see that jay from 3bros posted in here. you dont know me, but your place is INCREDIBLE dude! and now there's brunch?!!)

however, my friend did go in here, he agreed that the cannoli was the best part of the meal and said that when he went in literally everyone in the restaurant stared at him for a while, but what do you expect when you're the only crust punk in a sea of normies?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:59 am 
So Totally Yiffy

joyfulgirl wrote:
veganchefjay wrote:

I might just start a thread about your restaurant. It deserves its own thread, really.

do this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:40 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I may be going here tonight for my boyfriend's dad's birthday dinner. I hope I hope! What should I get if I do go?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:39 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

i went a few weeks ago and would highly recommend the eggplant parm! i also loved the caesar salad and the cannoli.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:08 pm 

I like the seitan parm.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:44 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I went a few days ago. I liked the eggplant parm a lot, but it came with some spaghetti with marinara, and the marinara wasn't that great when it was just on pasta without the spices from the eggplant. Kind of bland on its own. But it was good with the eggplant.