| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: John's on 12th Street - vegan menu
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:36 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

oof I've kinda held back because I was so thrilled that their vegan menu just exists, but I ate there about a month ago and it was pretty yucky...the eggplant parm was mega-mushy, which to me is a big problem. And I was excited for a caesar salad that I didn't have to make myself but it was kinda gross - definitely had been sitting around for a while and not fresh-tasting at all. My omni sis-in-law liked her chicken dish but we ended up barely eating our food.

other than that though, the waitstaff were very nice and it was cool to sit in the back room with that crazy candle thing. The owner also came and shmoozed with us a bit, and they were very welcoming of our toddler too. But food-wise, I would go to Pala Pizza in a heartbeat over this place.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:47 pm 
Hip Goiter

Cannot wait to go here. (thanks tofulish for telling me about it!) I'm excited for stuffed pizzelles/fake cannoli, I love pizzelles.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We ate here a few days ago too! I agree. Eggplant good, pasta okay.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:30 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I ate here once and the food reminded me of the Olive Garden, but with vegan options. It was pretty bland and heavy. But the waiters and atmosphere was pretty awesome, so I wouldn't rule out not going back next time I'm in the mood for Olive Garden food.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:17 pm 
Semen Strong

RandiJM wrote:
Cannot wait to go here. (thanks tofulish for telling me about it!) I'm excited for stuffed pizzelles/fake cannoli, I love pizzelles.

With the crepe reviews, maybe Via Roma in Toms River is a better bet. I liked the ambiance at John's - enormous waxy candles, Italian soppy music, checkered table cloths, but the food isn't really spectacular. http://www.viaromatomsriver.com/id22.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:52 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Tofulish wrote:
RandiJM wrote:

With the crepe reviews, maybe Via Roma in Toms River is a better bet. I liked the ambiance at John's - enormous waxy candles, Italian soppy music, checkered table cloths, but the food isn't really spectacular. http://www.viaromatomsriver.com/id22.html

I've only ever heard good things from people about Three Brothers. Sure, it's a bit farther, but it comes with a joyful girl who is willing to pick people up from the train station and eat deliciouses with them. Just sayin'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:34 am 
FAYGO

joyfulgirl wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
RandiJM wrote:

I've only ever heard good things from people about Three Brothers. Sure, it's a bit farther, but it comes with a joyful girl who is willing to pick people up from the train station and eat deliciouses with them. Just sayin'

YES. I love Three Brothers (and joyfulgirl). I took my (omni and vegetarian) friends there the day they helped me move back to LI and we all ordered from the vegan menu and were all very, very happy. I think they liked it even better than our brunch at Wildflower.