| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Curly's Vegetarian Lunch Counter and Hotel Tortuga
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:13 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

Oh how I love thee Curly's, let me count the ways:

1. Cuban sandwich--cheezy pickle-y goodness.
2. Disco fries--poutine for the vegan crowd. This is hardcore. I recommend splitting it with someone you love/hate because the portion is huge.
3. Crabcake salad--tons of veggies, fantastic crabcake.
4. Buffalo chicken sandwich or salad--yum.
5. Vegan Treats cakes--huge selection.

Seriously people need to talk about Curly's more, because I love it. And they just opened a Mexican place called Hotel Tortuga that is awesome. My boyfriend is a bit offended that they serve meat at HT, but the vegan menu is huge and not marginalized at all, so I'm ok with it. It's a good place to go if you're with omnis. We had a meetup there and every single plate looked amazing. I recommend the fake chicken mole in just about everything. I wish they delivered uptown, I would never cook again.

Post subject: Re: Curly's Vegetarian Lunch Counter and Hotel Tortuga
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:56 am 
FAYGO

Hrm. I've never really enjoyed anything I've gotten at Curly's except their Mexican hot chocolate (which is AMAZING). The only thing I've gotten from your list is the buffalo chicken sandwich, which I ordered by accident because I confused buffalo and BBQ. I'm horrible with spicy food, so it just tasted like fire and left me in pain even though I didn't even come close to finishing it. I feel like I keep ordering the wrong things (mostly breakfast things like tofu scramble), but I'm kind of tired of trying to find the right things.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:24 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I like Curly's too. I've for sure had some misses (lookin at you Mac N Cheese) but their breakfasts are amazing and yeah, the Cuban Sandwich!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:08 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Curly's is probably my favorite go-to place. I lived two blocks away for two years and went in way more times than I care to count (oftentimes just for cake runs). The owners are so nice, even if some of the servers are a little cold. In no particular order, I'd go for:

Chilaquiles/Nachos/anything Mex with the soy chick'n
Buffalo Chicken Sandwich (agreed it is borderline too spicy but I love it)
Dragonbowl Q (quinoa, avocado, mango salad with spicy dressing)
Any of the burgers

HT is good too, but I've only been there the one time. I had the vegan green posole and it was amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:56 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I really love Curly's! I usually order from the blue plate specials; everything mexican I've had there is really good. My boyfriend loves it the most though, it's his first suggestion whenever we decide to eat out.

I haven't been to Hotel Tortuga yet, but deep down I'm really kind of sad that they opened a non-veg restaurant and I think that's been keeping me from going.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:45 pm 

Go! It's totally good!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:09 pm 
Member type 4

How did I not know about this place (Curly's) until right now... I need to go to there. For reals.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:33 am 
Member type 4

Curly's looks like it would be a great candidate (assumption, never been, noted previously...) for a 24-hour vegan diner. I'm craving coffee, some moderately greasy food, and I really hate Kellogs.

I'm -this- close to making a 2:32 AM cup of coffee, but that would mean walking to the market for some creamer. Blast.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:18 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Curly's is the best drunk food, ever. My boyfriend and I stumbled there last Friday eve -- vegan TLT (on ciabatta bread - and you have to specify vegan because normally the veg bacon is not vegan) and curly fries? Helllll yes. Incredibly salty, in the most delicious way. The only thing that sucks is that the service leaves something to be desired when you dine there in-house. Delivery is key. It doesn't help that they deliver to my work...

I also like all their burgers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:27 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

The Suna Melt Curly's had was awesome. I don't know if it made its way back onto the menu. I haven't been in a year or two.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:55 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Hotel Tortuga was just 'meh' to me.

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:27 am 
Inflexitarian

Isn't Curly's the same outfit that brought us Burritoville? I am one of those who was actually really happy with Burritoville, so if Hotel Tortuga had some of that spirit, I'd be psyched. I don't go to Curly's very often, especially considering I live pretty close. I'd like to go again when my budget allows.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:31 pm 

I went to Hotel Tortuga yesterday. They were out of soy chicken mole, which is teh sadness. I got the Huevos Rancheros, vegan obvs, and it was amazing. So good.

The service was meh. They only had one person as wait staff and she was clearly overwhelmed. But she was super nice and liked my suggestion that they bug Vegan Treats for a Mexican hot chocolate cake.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:44 pm 
Inflexitarian

These restaurants are now on my must eat list.
What is wrong with Curly's mac and cheese?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:01 am 
So Totally Yiffy

love curlys, but i what i REALLY love is curly's brunch. the slumberjack breakfast is perfect when you want a bit of everything - sweet (pancakes) and salty (tofu scramble/homefries). also the bacon egg and cheese quesadilla and huevos rancheros are awesome. i havent ventured much outside of that triangle.

regular menuwise, i like the philly faux-cheesesteak. the cuban sandwich was great, my boyfriend got the suna melt and it was really good considering i've hated tuna with a passion for 20 years and was amazed i even tried it. i like the mac and cheese as well, for what it is. its a bit on the sweeter side of mac and cheese for my taste but its still really rich and its a pretty big portion. not so crazy about the $12.50 part though.

but really, i cant give this place enough love. its convenient (6 blocks away from where i live), the food has been pretty good to me most of the times i've been in there. the maple cake they usually have i've never found anywhere else and its pretty tasty.
next time i go in i'm getting the taco salad bowl because someone at the table behind us had it last time and it looked forking amazing. i've heard good things about their kale. mad garlicky.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:05 am 
Semen Strong

I have the Scoutmob 50% off deal on my phone for Hotel Tortuga and would love another meetup.

As far as Curly's goes, I've never had a bad meal there - I love the huevos rancheros (though I wish they would use Daiya and not FYH) and their salads are so delicious. Plus if you can go on Tuesday, you can get their Vegan Treats cake selection before it has been picked over <3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:28 pm 
Hip Goiter

I'm going to Hotel Tortuga in a 1/2 hour! With my boyfriend (in from London to get sworn into the bar!) and a law school friend. If anyone happens to be going, look - I'll be the one in the cape...

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I live a block away from there and eat there way more than is good for me. I love the chili cheese fries, the mission burrito, the vegan cubano, the mexican chocolate milkshake, um, what else? I like them for brunch too. The mac and cheese is very meh. I can make better myself. I've only had one really bad experience there and I think that day their regular cook must have been out.

Does anyone remember Veg City Diner? The same people who ran that run Curly's. I loved Veg City even though I wasn't vegan yet when I was going there. And it was open 24 hours!

As far as Burritoville, I though they were bought by a big company years ago? Aren't they all gone? Or is there one downtown still? I liked Burritoville-it was handy to go to with omnis. I didn't even know about Hotel Tortuga-it's like two blocks away. I want to go check it out now!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:49 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Hotel Tortuga, the name sounds cute and if there's some kind of vegan mole I'm so there, at least to give it a shot.

I totally ODed on Burritoville in the 90's and can't go there anymore, but the free chips, salsa and massive burritos kept me alive. Veg City Diner was cool and it's strange to think it even existed...there are fewer 24 places then you think in NYC and to think one of them seems nuts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:59 pm 
Hip Goiter

Oh I went to Hotel Tortuga Saturday night! Forgot to post so now I don't really remember what I had. I had the 3 soft corn tacos each with a different vegetarian "tortuga". I really liked the taco I had filled with the green hominy tortuga. There were like soft balls of vegetabally grits. I have no idea but the texture was cool. However, the liquid oozing out of all the fillings totally made the tacos disintegrate, so I couldn't pick it up or really eat the outside taco after a few minutes. The food tasted fine though. I tried a piece of a friend's soy chicken mole and while good, it reminded me of my mom's brisket (blechhh) from when I was like 12 and I got freaked the shiitake out. Anyway I think everyone liked it fine but it was nothing special.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just walked past on my way home from walking the dog and grabbed a menu. It's where that internet cafe was. Now where'll I go when my computer is down!

Yeah, I remember going to Burritoville back in 92 or 93 with a friend who was visiting from out of town. Crazy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:43 am 
FAYGO

I hate being negative about places, I really do. But I finally went to Hotel Tortuga last night and didn't like it at all. I got the veganized juevos con chorizo, basically a glorified scramble (just what I wanted) with beans, rice and salad and a lemonade.

I really like their salad dressing.

But the rest of it...I just didn't want to eat it. It didn't look appetizing at all and I didn't really like the texture when I ate it. It tasted fine, but I ended up leaving over half of it behind. Not because I was full but because I just didn't want it. I couldn't even get myself to take it home, and I HATE wasting food.

Also, they gave me the lemonade in a paper cup, with a straw. They have non-disposable cups for the water, so that was kind of frustrating. At least the straw was wrapped so I was able to give it back.

I'm not saying I'll never go back to Curly's or Hotel Tortuga, but if I do, I want to go with someone who loves it and I want them to pick what I order.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:15 pm 

I went to Curly's today and it was awful. When we arrived there were no empty tables, so we had to wait 30 minutes outside. That's not the restaurant's fault. But once people left and tables were empty, it took them ten minutes to clear the tables so we could sit. There were two bus boys and one waitress, so it's not like there weren't enough people to clear tables. Then once we were seated it took twenty minutes to take our order while the waitress stood up front and sang to herself and joked around with the bus boys. Our food took FOREVER to come. In fact, two tables that came in after us were served ten minutes before us. Then once we were served, mine was cold. The hash browns I ordered were inedible. I also got the buffalo chicken sandwich and it was really spicy and messy. It took a very long time for me to flag down the waitress for napkins and water. Once she brought our bill, she didn't come back for a long asparagus time--again, too busy being uber-cool and aloof, I guess.

The service there is alway a bit low, and that's fine because I'm not very demanding when it comes to eating out, but this was just absurd. And there's no excuse for my meal being cold and partially inedible. We left a terrible tip. The boy didn't want to tip at all, but I wanted the staff to know that we didn't forget to tip but rather that we're pissed off at shitty service.

I usually love Curly's, but I won't be going back for a very long time, if at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:45 pm 
Inflexitarian

Went to Curly's for takeout yesterday. Got the buffalo soy chicken sandwich and it was very tasty. Not too hot for me at all. It held up surprisingly well considering I ate half standing on the sidewalk outside a movie theater, and the other half an hour later during a screening. Even though I'm old school enough to think that $8 is a lot of money for a sandwich (and realistically even I know that's not really true anymore), this was a huge sandwich. Could share or make it two meals practically.

I still haven't tried Tortuga. I did notice the 23rd St Burritoville location seems to still exist.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:22 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The open face turkey thing... oh my god. That was probably one of my favorite meals in NYC, and we ate at all the fancy vegan places. It was a mountain of food though. I could barely finish half with my husband's help. LOOK AT THIS: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 3989_n.jpg