| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Bell House - Brooklyn
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:38 pm 
Chip Strong

I want to go see the Mekons at the Bell House (149 7th st) in Brooklyn next month.
Will likely need to stay over night; any good lodging suggestions for that area?
I am not uber familiar with Brooklyn.

thanks

Post subject: Re: The Bell House - Brooklyn
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:24 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

IANANY (I am not a New Yorker).

Bell House is in a mostly-industrial neighborhood called Gowanus, between Carroll Gardens and Park Slope, both of which are lovely mostly-residential neighborhoods. Google tells me there's a La Quinta on 3rd and 13th and a Super 8 on 3rd and President. Both are roughly half a mile from the club.

The trains that run closest are the F/G (Smith/9th Street, right along the canal, and 4th Avenue, at 10th Street) and the D/N/R (9th Street at 4th Avenue). IMO, Gowanus isn't a very 'cool' neighborhood, so if you're not simply looking for a hotel that's as close to the venue as possible, I'd suggest Hotwire-ing a room in Brooklyn and just taking the train or cab from there.
NB, every time I've gone to a show at Bell House, I've ended up taking a cab to/from my home base (in Carroll Gardens) because hiking to/from and waiting a million years for the train has seemed like too much of a hassle, especially late at night, when the F seems to only run once every million and a half years. It's an awesome venue, have fun!

Post subject: Re: The Bell House - Brooklyn
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:30 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I used to fill at the food truck out front for a bit (and might again once in a while). There are veggie burgers and veggie brats that are vegan. I know that when I'M there, there's a dedicated half of the grill that is for the veggie stuff. Just ask for your brat or burger without aioli. If I'm NOT there, and chances are I'm not, I'd go for the veggie brat. Because sometimes the veggie burgers are cooked in the same spot as where the regular burgers were cooked earlier. And the veggie brat is RADICAL. Arugula, hot sauce, mustard (I get it without mustard because mustard is forking disgusting).

www.monsterdoodlebook.com - DRAW! MONSTERS!