| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best vegan food around Washington Sq. Park?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:37 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm going to be an NYU freshman in about 18 days, and I will be living right on Washington Sq. Park. What are the best (also cheap) vegan places around there? Also, any tips on cheapest grocery stores?

Post subject: Re: Best vegan food around Washington Sq. Park?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:57 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

NY Dosas - http://www.yelp.com/biz/ny-dosas-new-york
Soho S'nice is also nearby.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:49 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

there are a ton of places near there.

ny dosas is awesome, as is 'snice. I think those are my 2 favorites too.

There's a peacefood cafe opening soon on 11th and university (just a couple of blocks up from the park). And gobo, red bamboo, veg paradise 2, sacred chow, soy and sake village, and quantum leap are all in the area as well. All of those are pretty inexpensive (except gobo, which is not outrageous, but fancier). There are also some vegan-friendly chains around - a maoz falafel on 8th street, a chipotle, and 2 le pain quotidiens within a short walk. You'll be close to the east village as well, which has tons of vegan food options (pukk, lan cafe and lula's are some of my favorites that aren't too expensive).

You'll be close to Lifethyme, a grocery store with good prepared foods and vegan vitamins/groceries, it is so not cheap though. And you'll be close to union square, which has a huge greenmarket on m/w/f/sat (some things are a great deal, some are not), a whole foods and a trader joe's. Trader Joe's is your only option for cheap groceries anywhere in the area. There are a couple of regular supermarkets in the neighborhood, but the produce tends to suck and they're fairly expensive even so.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:20 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I don't have any restaurant suggestions that haven't been mentioned, but welcome! That's a good area to be in for vegetarian food.

Another suggestion on the groceries/produce front: There are some small mini-mart type places in the area called M2M (yeah, funny name). They're basically bodegas that also sell a bunch of Korean/other Asian goods. The one I've been to has a rather small produce section, but the stuff was of decent quality and not horrifyingly expensive! I wouldn't do all my shopping there but it's good to have in a pinch, and you're less likely to get trampled at a place like that than Union Square Trader Joes/Whole Foods (which can get INSANELY crowded at peak times). This one: http://www.yelp.com/biz/m2m-new-york

Once you're settled in you might consider traveling outside that area in quest of cheap groceries... for example, there are some dirt-cheap fruit/veg markets in Brooklyn that are open 24 hours, though that's a bit of a commute on the subway. It's an adventure though. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:54 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I too am an NYU student this semester but a transfer. I love going to red bamboo for lunch and vegetarian paradise is just a few doors down. Both have crazy inexpensive lunch specials. Not incredibly close but reasonable if you get in the mood to walk, Terri is also a moderately priced place for lunch and with an iPhone and your first check in on four square you get any sandwich for a dollar. Also I had a friend who dormed and got a lot of her groceries from the dining hall to use in her own recipes in her apartment dorm. I love Argo tea and they have a number of cheap snack salads and sandwiches plus theres a good selection of teas to choose from. Also, a few blocks away on 2nd ave, you have atlas cafe where you can get dozens of vegan menu items like crepes sandwiches wraps and began treats. NYU has limited dining options for vegans but it's a good place to be for vegans. Welcome!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:10 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I transferred to NYU last fall! If you want really good falafel, I recommend University Pita which is on University and 12th and there's a deal for students for a falafel pita and a drink for $5 (plus tax). There's also Little Atlas on west 4th just west of broadway. Terri is super close if you hop on the subway (either the N/R or the F/M). On bleeker near sullivan i think is an Indian place that has really great roti rolls. Also, whole foods salad bar. I like it cause I can take as much or as little as I want (and it's a bunch cheaper for breakfast). There's also Viva Herbal pizza on 2nd ave between 11th and 12th and stogo (not as good as lulas) on 2nd ave and 10th st. I think mostly when I'm in school though, besides eating at work 2 days a week, I eat a lot of cans of beans. But I'm lazy. Oh and bagel Bob's on university has a bunch of tofutti flavors and gives 10% off to NYU students.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:01 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

MAHMOUN'S. (no special deal and you can get falafel and a drink for under $4.)

i really love mahmoun's. like, REALLY.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:55 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I like Mamoun's and it's def great for a cheap late night falafel, but they don't have toppings like the other places. French fries are even an option at University. Cheap's is also about the price of Mamoun's but they have toppings and are open late. And it's next to Pommes Frites.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:57 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Man, now I really want falafel.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:10 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Oh! Forgot to mention a must. Little Lad's on Delancey. If you want a little walk and some super cheap eats for a long day of classes, you can get vegan food buffet style for super cheap. $5.95 for a huge plate and a bowl.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:17 am 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

adventuresoflandooe wrote:
Man, now I really want falafel.

this is how i always feel. and i'm a falafel purist, i think, because i like them pretty unadulterated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:23 pm 
Tofu Pup

Omg, all the falafel recommendations. I'm going to love getting falafel I don't have to make myself. And that Little Lad's place sounds absolutely perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:35 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Oh man, there's no shortage of falafel here. You can get it on practically every street corner. Of course the quality varies. Little Lad's is great! And you can buy some snack items to take away there as well.

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]