| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Haircuts
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:48 am 
FAYGO

Where do you get them, NYC?

I used to go to Bumble and Bumble U, but they only cut hair for free during business hours now. I went to The Beehive once, and it was OK, but I'm not sure if it was really worth the $50+ listed on their website (I don't remember what I actually paid).

I have really thick hair and just want to get it thinned out and trimmed for summer without breaking the bank. Suggestions, please!

Post subject: Re: Haircuts
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:19 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I like Hair Metal in Brooklyn. Two locations now, one on Driggs and another on Franklin in Greenpoint.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:58 am 
Inflexitarian

Aveda has a school too. I know sometimes they do Sat mornings, 9am.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:53 am 
FAYGO

Thanks! I've got an appointment at Aveda for Thursday. It's only $20! Will report back.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:59 pm 
Member type 4

I've been wondering the same thing. For the past year I've been hacking off a ponytail and hoping for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:55 am 
Hail Seitan!

SSD, which Aveda did you use? I used to go to one up by Columbia, but I'm pretty sure it was more than $20.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:10 pm 
FAYGO

I'm going to the Aveda Institute, not the regular salon. I've had good luck getting my hair cut by students at Bumble & Bumble U, so I'm hoping for the best here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:51 pm 
Hail Seitan!

SeitanSaidDance wrote:
I'm going to the Aveda Institute, not the regular salon. I've had good luck getting my hair cut by students at Bumble & Bumble U, so I'm hoping for the best here.

Oh ok! How did it go? I read the yelp reviews for the institute and they are very mixed.. I'm little hesitant to try.

BTW the Aveda place i went to that's near Columbia (Scott J) has a $20 off coupon for new customers, if anyone is interested.

http://www.scottj.com/downloads/ScottJ- ... t-card.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I used to go to the Aveda institute years ago. The haircuts are decent, but don't expect anything really trendy.

It also can take a while since teachers need to check the progress of the student work. Expect a regular haircut 2-2 1/2 hours.

I stopped going when you couldn't request the same person who cut your hair the previous time. Besides that it was okay if you don't mind spending the the time and don't need anything special.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:20 pm 
Tofu Pup

Recently I've been going to Vidal Sassoon downtown, on 18th St at 6th Ave. Very cool folks, bring you beverages, like hot tea or Diet Coke with lemon over ice. They use interesting and very effective hair products such as Nectar Thermique which, I kid you not, straightened my hair for a week, even with humidity and exposure to rain. Honest! Unfortunately, it has royal jelly in it, but......

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:07 am 
FAYGO

I wanted to wait until after I'd tried blow drying my hair to post about my Aveda Institute haircut, but I have no idea when that will be.

The haircut is fine. My hair doesn't look particularly good or bad. It's just like it was before I went in, except a little more comfortable because they thinned it out, which is really what I'd wanted. I had hoped it would also make my hair look more tidy, but no such luck.

It also took 2.5 hours. Primarily because of the blow drying. I would just tell them not to bother, but they needed the hair dry to thin it out.

At Bumble and Bumble U, the haircuts are free, you're not allowed to tip, you get free or discounted product, and you're getting your hair cut by people who are already professional, they just want to learn new techniques. But they only do five or so different haircut styles (and variations on them), a few updos and two types of dying, and are only open during most people's office hours. They fill up the room and everyone gets the same haircut at the same time.

At Aveda Institute, the haircuts are $20, I tipped, they encourage you to buy product and you're getting your hair cut by people who are totally new and unlicensed. But they're they're supposed to be able to do any haircut you want, as well as waxing, highlights, facials, etc. and are open until 8 (or is it 9?) and even take people on Sundays (but the person on the phone warned me not to book then since students sometimes don't show up). Appointments work just like they do for regular haircuts. The people around you may be getting completely different services and the instructor has to keep track of who's doing what. They also do "the full sensory experience" which was a head massage with a scented oil (there were three to choose from).

I was lucky that my stylist was both competent and confident in what she was doing, since the instructor paid us less attention than he did the other three pairs of people (though that could have been because he already knew she was good). The person across from me was getting highlights and I think the instructor did about half of them, and the student dropped the bowl of color on the floor. When I mentioned that the place I usually go uses a straight razor to thin my hair, my stylist whipped out a razor and did some of that, too. It was nice to see that she didn't have to go exclusively by the book.

As long as I'm keeping my hair long and simple, I'll probably go back. I'm also thinking of going back for the waxing, but getting that done by a student slightly terrifies me. When it's time to cut all my hair off again, I'm not sure if I'll go back to Aveda, or take some time to go to B&BU, just because I know they get my style right.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:30 am 
FAYGO

FYI, I was told BbU was vegan, but recently learned they're owned by Estee Lauder, who test on animals. Now I need to find a new conditioner and detangling spray; I hate the stuff I bought at Aveda.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:10 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I go to Jun's salon in Chinatown. I believe she used to work for bumble and bumble. Their haircuts can def be trendy, and are only $20-$25 (I think she raised her prices between my last 2 haircuts.) I generally have really liked my haircuts from there except for the one I got February last year when I wanted a trim on my bob and the guy gave me what I can at best describe as an asian boy haircut. I guess I ended up sorta rocking it but was more unprepared for not getting what I asked for. This last time I just made sure to ask for Jun specifically. They also give the most amazing head massages. They're always at least a 1/2 hour long.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:09 pm 
FAYGO

Cool. Do they use vegan products?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:18 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I'm not sure. You could call and ask, though I'm not 100% sure if they'd even understand. I can give you the number if you want.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:10 am 
FAYGO

I won't need a haircut for a while, but that'd be great. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:35 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

For $20 student cuts that are completely unique, with extremely attentive instructors ensuring quality, Arrojo studio is the place to go. Their students tend to already have a number of years under their scissors, which is comforting. If you are looking for a razor cut, layered and, more often than not, quite unusual in the best sense of the word, this is an excellent deal.

For a higher price and less experimental cuts, see Liz at Woodley and Bunny in Williamsburg. She's amazing, just amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Aveda is also opwned by Estee Lauder, but they don't test on animals. The also own MAC and Origins and a slew of companies.

Though Google isn't helping me answer this and they are not on either one of peta's lists.

Their site: http://www.esteelauder.com/products/sea ... ng&x=0&y=0

If testing is required in some places are any companies totally animal testing free?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:19 pm 
FAYGO

As I understand it, it's not always necessary to test on animals. Simulations will do. They don't do hair care, but as an example, Method's animal testing statement doesn't have any exceptions in it: http://www.biggreensmile.com/brands/met ... and=Method

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:33 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Sorry to disappear. The number for the salon I go to is 212 619 2989

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

According to National Anti Vivesection Society Estee Lauder doesn't test. There is a catalog at the vet's office and it says so on the website.

http://www.navs.org/site/PageServer?pag ... n_pt_whois

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

If you want a short haircut, Crops for Girls is excellent. I didn't get my hair washed and he got it perfect without products. And he turned my garbled description of what I wanted into EXACTLY what I meant. He does free haircuts if you get whatever cut he's doing then. I didn't get a free one- it cost $45 which isn't bad for Manhattan. The hairdresser is kind of socially awkward, which I'm fine with because I hate forced chit chat.

Sorry for the stack - phone is giving me a hard time lately.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:05 am 
FAYGO

Thanks!