| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cinnamon Snail Coming to NYC Full Time!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:29 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I went this weekend when they were on the LES - I'll post pics at some point. My food was SO GOOD..I thought Ian's in SF made the best vegan sandwich ever, but I think these guys have them beat. I had the special - al pastor seitan with greens, grilled pineapple, grilled onions, and beer battered jalepenos (YUM) with chili mayo on a baguette. It was a mess and I ended up with chili mayo all over my jeans, but I regret nothing. Also had a creme brulee donut (yum) and the special chocolate ganache peppermint coffee with marshmallows on top (more yum).

It looks like this is their last week until March - if they're in the city again on Monday, I'll go. I want to try the cajun tofu sandwich. And on their facebook page, they say they are writing a cookbook. Yes please.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:34 pm 
Semen Strong

Tofulish wrote:
And now Jersey City and Hoboken are cracking down on food trucks too. Its kind of sad - it costs SO much to get a license for a food truck, outfit it, and then the minute you start to do well, they crack down on you.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2011 ... y_cit.html

In Jersey City, they want food trucks to pay $400 a month just to operate (and even then they have to be 200ft from any permanent eatery, which seriously limits parking downtown or anywhere else there would be customers), and are considering making the fees higher because they don't want to have them compete with brick and mortar restaurants.

So sad! Hoboken passed the anti-vending statute and the Snail can't afford to operate there any longer. So NJ is now Snail-less until the Red Bank Farmer's Market sets up again in the Spring/Summer. Their last Hoboken day is Thursday. Hit it while you can NJers!

http://www.facebook.com/TheCinnamonSnail

My husband is bringing me home an Al Pastor, a Creole Sub, 2 creme brulee donuts and a cheese tart to help ease my suffering :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:44 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I'm going to be going tomorrow. What should I get? The Creole sub looks good, but is there any don't-miss thing?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:51 pm 
FAYGO

I say the Mexican chocolate twist thing. And the creme brulee doughnut.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:13 pm 

Creme brulee donut for sure. And if you like spicy things, the al pastor sub.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:14 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I got the Creole sub, which was delicious, but a bit too messy to eat while sitting on a bench. I ended up with sauce everywhere, and a piece of tofu fell on the ground. My mom got the maple mustard tempeh sandwich, which I had a bit of and liked, too. And we both got the creme brulee donuts, but I haven't eaten mine yet, because I'm still stuffed from the sandwich and I want to eat the donut when I'm hungry and can appreciate it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:08 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

The Al Pastor set my face on fire and I liked it. I could only finish half, though - that's one massive sandwich. This was their last day of the season until March! Glad I could make it over for some savory fare.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:38 pm 

alice1drland wrote:
The Al Pastor set my face on fire and I liked it. I could only finish half, though - that's one massive sandwich. This was their last day of the season until March! Glad I could make it over for some savory fare.

I got an al pastor today too! so so so good. Hurry up, March.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:40 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I went on Wednesday for the first time and bought out half the donuts. The chocolate peanut butter donut (which was more like a dessert) was amazing and the apple cider donut was so good, just like the old school donuts.

And the White Wine sandwich was fantastic as well. I wish they could be there every day. *sigh*

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:51 pm 
Inflexitarian

wow I finally got to try Cinnamon Snail!!! Yesterday I re-routed to stop in Flatiron on the way to midtown and arrived mid-morning, probably the perfect time since there wasn't a wait. With overwhelming sandwich choices I just picked the first one, the lemongrass seitan baguette. I had that for lunch and and a creme brulee donut at 6:30pm before heading off to a meeting. I wasn't even starving at that point which is unusual for me. And actually I never even ate dinner last night, those two things were so filling. And amazing!!! I'm not sure when if I've ever had a better sandwich.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:06 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Seriously...that lemongrass seitan baguette is SO GOOD. I also think it may be the best sandwich I've ever had. That was the 1st thing I had from the cinnamon snail when I realized it was in nyc a few weeks ago. I've been totally addicted since then. I lov ethe double chocolate donut...I forget the name, it is something really weird. But it is a glazed donut with chocolate crunchies on the outside and chocolate ganache inside. I thought I died and went to heaven when I ate it.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:50 pm 
Hip Goiter

Does anyone know where the Midtown East location is? I think I'm going to NYC this weekend primarily to get them again.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:00 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

you guys, the pancakes. omg. i had them for a 2pm lunch a few weeks ago. i almost died from how good they were.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:54 am 

RandiJM wrote:
Does anyone know where the Midtown East location is? I think I'm going to NYC this weekend primarily to get them again.

Do you follow them on Twitter? They usually post at which specific cross streets they've parked. I think it depends on the day, honestly.

I go every week. It's a (non) problem. I've tried almost every sandwich on the menu, with the exception of the Korean (afraid of the spice) and mushroom (blech). I love them all! Most likely going again today despite the rain.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:00 am 

alice1drland wrote:
RandiJM wrote:

Do you follow them on Twitter? They usually post at which specific cross streets they've parked. I think it depends on the day, honestly.

I go every week. It's a (non) problem. I've tried almost every sandwich on the menu, with the exception of the Korean (afraid of the spice) and mushroom (blech). I love them all! Most likely going again today despite the rain.

Yeah, their Twitter and facebook pages always have the exact location. I've been to them in midtown east where they've been on Park and 46th, but it varies. i really hope they do union square this saturday (their fbook says saturday location is TBD) - I don't think I can go today or tomorrow, but their current special is the Al Pastor seitan and that's my favorite.

I actually like going more when it's raining out, since the lines aren't as long.. things get pretty crazy in the middle of the day. Good for them, but bad for us who need to be back in our offices!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:41 pm 
Inflexitarian

I'm bummed they started later today which meant I couldn't stop by before work, and no way to get to flat iron during the work day. Oh well, I'll just whine instead.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:44 pm 

JillW wrote:
I'm bummed they started later today which meant I couldn't stop by before work, and no way to get to flat iron during the work day. Oh well, I'll just whine instead.

You're in luck (sorta) - the had some mechanical problems with the truck so they weren't able to be in the city today at all. So at least you didn't miss anything.

This post makes me think I should maybe not be so Snail-obsessive on social media.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:10 am 
Semen Strong

I felt so bad for Adam. The truck broke down and needs to be fixed. They had to donate all the donuts etc.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:05 pm 
Inflexitarian

oh my gosh, that's a bummer. It was such a shitty day that day too, I was riding around midtown in the rain on my bike after work looking for a quick bite. It was truly a day for whining. Seems like the truck is fine now though.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:11 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm going to be in NYC June 6-8 and hoping to go there every day. :)

I've been reading about how awesome they are for so long, can't wait to finally try it!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:29 pm 
Hip Goiter

I went today again. Soooo good. I think he gave me a free cookie! (Not sure if he thought I said it and it was included in the price, but I don't think so!) They're so nice and the food is seriously the best.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:27 pm 

Oh yeah, my boyfriend and I biked to Union Sq for some snaily time yesterday! It was a delicious reward. Love those guys.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:37 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

alice1drland wrote:

I don't like spicy food, but the Korean BBQ sandwich is my favorite. It's a little spicy, but not more than the red curry one.

I love the Cinnamon Snail so much I tried to review them on Yelp twice by accident. And I get all emotional when the truck breaks or someone forces them to move, even when it doesn't affect me. At least I'm in good company, judging by their long lines and superlative retweets.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:06 pm 
Semen Strong

I went to the Red Bank Farmer's Market and got the Creole Sub and the Al Pastore. The Al Pastore is good but the Creole will always be my favorite. That is the best sandwich on the planet.

I had the creme brulee donut (OMG), the maple toasted coconut (yum!) and the apple crumb donut, which was seriously the best dessert, it was so moist and chewy and just perfect in every way.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:14 pm 

You can vote for them to get a Mission: Small Business grant to start an actual permanent space in NYC!

www.missionsmallbusiness.com - I was able to log in with my FB info - then search for Cinnamon Snail.