| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: The Official Catchall New York City Thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:30 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

We really need one, so I'm copying the Philly people and making one. Take that Philly!

Post subject: Re: The Official Catchall New York City Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:53 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I want a gluten-free brownie sundae from Lula's. Too bad I am back in Maine :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:13 pm 

Is that what you ended up getting? I was hoping you could tell me how the pumpkin flavor is.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:13 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I got the pumpkin soft serve, on a cone with chocolate sprinkles! It was amazing. It made me smile from ear to ear. I wanted to go back on Monday night to get a brownie sundae while I had the chance, but after pigging out on gluten-free pizza at pala I was just too full... Next time, I suppose.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:19 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Last week I had a brownie sundae with Cotton candy ice cream and candied pecan ice cream, also hot fudge sauce, ricemellow and candied pecans on top.
It was pretty much amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:15 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I'm going to NYC next week and I am super-excited. There is no way I am leaving without going to Lulas!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:29 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Dunebug wrote:
Last week I had a brownie sundae with Cotton candy ice cream and candied pecan ice cream, also hot fudge sauce, ricemellow and candied pecans on top.

OMG, Lula's party when I'm there in 3 weeks!

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:15 am 
FAYGO

Dunebug wrote:

Just reading that makes me happy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:50 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone on the PPK go to college/grad school/something at Columbia (or Barnard/JTS/etc)? I'd love to meet ya! Also...I'd really like someone to go to the gym with me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:16 pm 

http://www.yelp.com/deals/terri-manhatt ... WXP3OYxw:D

FYI, New Yorkers: $10 for $5 yelp deal for Terri's!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:17 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

TheChickpea wrote:
This is probably a long shot, but does anyone on the PPK go to college/grad school/something at Columbia (or Barnard/JTS/etc)? I'd love to meet ya! Also...I'd really like someone to go to the gym with me

I went to Columbia for grad school and graduated two years ago, does that count? :) I'm still in Brooklyn!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:25 pm 

doncherryfan wrote:
TheChickpea wrote:

I went to Columbia for grad school and graduated two years ago, does that count? :) I'm still in Brooklyn!

What did you go to grad school for?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:36 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Adah wrote:
doncherryfan wrote:
TheChickpea wrote:

What did you go to grad school for?

poli sci! loved it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:42 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

melisser wrote:
Dunebug wrote:

OMG, Lula's party when I'm there in 3 weeks!

I'm in!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:25 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Love Lula's so much!

Is it sacrilege to say that I also really love Stogo?
I always have trouble deciding--but then I remember that Lula's has sundaes and beautiful toppings and CONES, so...she wins.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:41 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

TheChickpea wrote:

I go to Teachers College! are you new to the boards or did you just change your username from the old boards. I don't live near there so I'm no good for a gym buddy, but I'd be down for a UWS meet up sometime

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:51 pm 
Joking!

Adah wrote:
http://www.yelp.com/deals/terri-manhattan?bert=roXy3DilCieWZWWXP3OYxw:D

I actually can get a free meal at Terri's, but I don't think it's even worth my time, I'm really unimpressed with their menu.....I am also kind of a food snob so if I'm paying $10 for a sandwich or going all the way up to 23rd street it had better blow my own cooking out of the water, but they don't even come close. I'd rather buy that $10 jar of raw pesto at whole foods and make amazing sammiches at home. I'm not enough a food snob to be above buying a sandwich from Subway for $3 though, if it's cheap, as long as it's kinda tasty, then whatever, it was cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:40 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Ijdi--I've never been a regular on the boards, but I've been lurking and posting sporadically since 2006. I forget my PW and so changed my username a lot. Before this it was always some form of Amber, like Amb3rr or something like that. I think we talked once and I told you that I'm studying economics and african history. Who knows. You haven't been to any CSAP (columbia students for animal protection) meetings have you? We have grad students who drop by on occasion.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:26 pm 

panda wrote:
Adah wrote:

I actually can get a free meal at Terri's, but I don't think it's even worth my time, I'm really unimpressed with their menu.....I am also kind of a food snob so if I'm paying $10 for a sandwich or going all the way up to 23rd street it had better blow my own cooking out of the water, but they don't even come close.

So it's mediocre and not worth getting in part because it's above 14th street?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:14 pm 
Joking!

Adah wrote:
panda wrote:
Adah wrote:

I actually can get a free meal at Terri's, but I don't think it's even worth my time, I'm really unimpressed with their menu.....I am also kind of a food snob so if I'm paying $10 for a sandwich or going all the way up to 23rd street it had better blow my own cooking out of the water, but they don't even come close.

So it's mediocre and not worth getting in part because it's above 14th street?

No, it's just mediocre, expensive, and it's far away from my home and work in Brooklyn (as in I'd have to go way out of my way to go there). I can get mediocre and cheap closer to home, and I can also get really good/fantastic and cheap or fantastic and expensive even closer. I'm willing to travel way uptown for Peacefood or Candle on occasion and pay lots of dollars because it's damn good. I'm not traveling 30-40ish minutes to Terri to pay $10-$18 for a meal that is so mediocre it's actually almost on the gross side. And yeah, I guess it doesn't help that it's in a part of the city (above 14th) that I don't have a reason to go to very often anymore now that all my clients are in Brooklyn. Maybe if we were on a shopping trip, we go to Herald Square sometimes since the stores there are better stocked than the ones in Soho/Union Square, maybe we'd go there. My friend's tuna sandwich was okay the last time I went and I don't make fake tuna at home, but there's not much else on the menu that I can't make for cheaper and way better at home. I'm willing to try a couple other things on the menu if someone insists on going there, but I've had like half the menu in the 4 times I've been there (it's not that big and I've always been with someone else and we just taste the other's food). It's been disappointing every time. Just because it's vegan doesn't mean I have to like it. There's also several other cheaper vegan options all within a block that are just as good if not better.

What's something there that you like and think is worth the money? I'll try it if it's not the meatball sub or quesadilla or something else I've had.

Last edited by panda on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:27 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

TheChickpea wrote:
Ijdi--I've never been a regular on the boards, but I've been lurking and posting sporadically since 2006. I forget my PW and so changed my username a lot. Before this it was always some form of Amber, like Amb3rr or something like that. I think we talked once and I told you that I'm studying economics and african history. Who knows. You haven't been to any CSAP (columbia students for animal protection) meetings have you? We have grad students who drop by on occasion.

oh cool! yeah, i think we have talked before. I'm getting a masters in nutrition at TC and no I've never been to any meetings at columbia. I don't really have time for that much extracurricular stuff. Have you had dosas from the dosa cart on broadway and 116th ish. I was super excited about it, but then it was so greasy I could barely eat it. Sad.

oh! and something exciting is that they have cheezly at Health Nuts (i think that's the name) on broadway and 98th (ish).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:29 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

No need to hate on Terri! To each their own!

That being said; Terri is super-amazing, and I love their Buffalo Chicken sandwich and the Chickpea Tuna Melt the best. And it's only $8 for a (big) sandwich, not $10-20. Everyone is super-friendly and nice there and it is a great lunch spot in that area that is seriously lacking in some good vegan food (I used to work down the street from there). Ohh, and don't get me started on the deliciousness of their shakes...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:34 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Oh yeah, have you guys seen that they are selling Sheese at the Union Square Whole Foods now? The cheddar and the blue sheese. Woo! Also, my poor wallet!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:46 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
TheChickpea wrote:

oh cool! yeah, i think we have talked before. I'm getting a masters in nutrition at TC and no I've never been to any meetings at columbia. I don't really have time for that much extracurricular stuff. Have you had dosas from the dosa cart on broadway and 116th ish. I was super excited about it, but then it was so greasy I could barely eat it. Sad.

oh! and something exciting is that they have cheezly at Health Nuts (i think that's the name) on broadway and 98th (ish).

Why is the masters in nutrition in the TC? That seems odd to me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:48 pm 
Joking!

My Zoetrope wrote:
No need to hate on Terri! To each their own!

That being said; Terri is super-amazing, and I love their Buffalo Chicken sandwich and the Chickpea Tuna Melt the best. And it's only $8 for a (big) sandwich, not $10-20. Everyone is super-friendly and nice there and it is a great lunch spot in that area that is seriously lacking in some good vegan food (I used to work down the street from there). Ohh, and don't get me started on the deliciousness of their shakes...

I'm not hating on it, I just don't like it and I'm cheap. It is $10 if you tip and it's at least $16 to $20 if you get other items like a smoothie or milkshake or side....and then leave a slightly bigger tip for the bigger bill. If I go there again I will try the Buffalo Chicken. I haven't had that one yet, and I like the Tuna ok, I've never actually been a fan of real or fake fish (which is blasphemy coming from New England), but it was alright, not fishy enough to make me gag, so that's good. I also used to work there at a client's studio, before Terri opened, and never had any issues finding good, cheap vegan options.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next