| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Birthday restaurant recommendations
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:36 pm 
Naked Under Apron

My parents always take me out to dinner in the city for my birthday when I'm visiting them for Thanksgiving. The past few years, we've always gone to either Candle 79 or Blossom. I like both of those, but I'd like to try somewhere new. Any suggestions? I'm not in the city that much, so I don't really know any places that have opened in the past few years, or just places I haven't tried. I'm looking for a nice sit-down dinner place where we can get appetizers and entrees and desserts, all vegan, not raw food, and not entirely Asian.

Post subject: Re: Birthday restaurant recommendations
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:13 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

dirt candy's not vegan (just veg) but they can do a whole vegan meal. The only vegan dessert that's worthwhile is the nanaimo bar, but it's really awesome. I've been a few times and it's ranged from ok to excellent, with most of the meals being pretty great. The one flop was a smoked cauliflower and waffle dish that just tasted like eating cigarettes.

I haven't been, but the owners of blossom opened v-note, which might be a good place to try.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:21 am 
FAYGO

V-Note was a little weak in the beginning, but now I'd say the food is on par with Blossom. There's also Blossom Cafe and Candle Cafe which are a little more casual than their non-cafe counterparts, but still delicious. Angelica Kitchen isn't new and it isn't raw, but it leans toward the healthier side of things and has a nice atmosphere.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:46 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Thanks! I've been to Angelica Kitchen and Blossom Cafe a bunch of times. After looking at the menus, I think that the chocolate fondue dessert at V-Note has decided me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:37 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Thanks for helping me out too. My birthday's coming up in early December and I also always end up at Blossom or Candle 79. I tried making reservations for Dirt Candy yesterday but they don't have a time that works for me until January. That chocolate fondue pretty much sold me on V-Note as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:54 pm 
Naked Under Apron

We ended up going to V-Note, which was fabulous. They seem to really be into cashew cream sauces, but it could just be that we all happened to order things with those. The fondue was totally worth it.