| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice for someone who has never been to NYC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:10 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I'm planning a trip for myself and my vegan husband to visit for 3 or 4 days. I don't know when, but probably late fall 2012. Neither one of us has ever been. I'm going to be looking through all the threads in this subforum, but it seems like there's a lot I could overlook. What are your absolute, diehard, favourite places to go in NYC for food, culture, whatever?

I'd appreciate any direction.

ETA: I also need advice on which area to stay in! Lower East Side? I don't know. I want to be central to everything!

Post subject: Re: Advice for someone who has never been to NYC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:07 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

My big advice is to stay somewhere close to a main subway line! I was by the A and C lines and it made getting around so much easier. I think the easiest thing to do is admit you can't possibly see it all and then focus on what you have to do and then plan around that. I highly recommend the Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Cloisters (which isn't by anything but is amaaaaaaazing), Lula's, Foodswings and Champs. Also, if you have an iphone, the Not For Tourists NYC app is amazing. It lets you know what cool stuff is near you. I got to see Mark Twain's house and the Triangle Shirtwaist building because of it. Totally worth the $3.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:40 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Ooh how fun!! I'll write more later, but here are my top-of-head things:

1) Lula's for amazing ice cream

2) Almost any good bagel place for a bagel with veggie tofutti cream cheese

3) If you've got $ to spent, Candle 79 is wonderful.

Other than that, food-wise, it just depends on what you like and want to experience. We have good vegan chinese, indian, soul food, Carribbean food, vietnamese baguettes.. but you probably have some of that where you are, too.

As far as what to do, I'd say that also depends on what you are interested in. Art? Music? Wandering? Shopping?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:01 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Cloisters and the Met, indeed. And yes to being near a good subway, which should be fairly easy if you stay in Manhattan. There isn't anything central to everything and hotels can be quite pricey. Depending on your budget you might want to stay somewhere in brooklyn or queens for cheaper and take the subway to Manhattan when needed. I avoid the mid-town/Times Square area at all costs.

Food for me would be Lan Cafe and the vegetarian dim sum place on Pell St. Also Snice and the soul chick'n sandwich at Red Bamboo.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:15 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Try using airbnb for better deals than hotels. Get some pizza at Vinnie's or Paulie Gee's.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:23 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

My trips to NY always involve wandering in Chinatown, and since there is some good vegan food down in that area, sort of, it's great.
I think a lot depends on what interests you- shopping, art, music, what? We always go to the Nat History museum as well, and we bus all over the place (inside and outside the city). South Street is interesting too.
This last trip I was sort of limited in my mobility and time so I used Yelp a lot to decide where to do the things i needed to do (I used to be a NYer but things have changed so much that i needed help) and most of the reviews were super helpful and spot-on, especially for shopping challenges.
As for staying, my friend always stays here http://www.heraldsquarehotel.com/ - i've never stayed there, but she's always happy with it. Hard to get more centrally located than that, though it sure ain't cheap. Also, if i remember right there is a Lush within about ten steps....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:43 pm 

Excellent advice, guys! Yeah, I don't have the cash to stay at a swanky downtown boutique or anything. I'll keep brooklyn and queens in mind for hotels, the cheaper the better.
We are art lovers and both the Met and the MoMa are on the must-do list.
I feel like I need to see the touristy stuff on my first trip to NYC, too; Times Square, Statue of Liberty.
Neither one of us are big shoppers but I'll likely hit up Moo Shoes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm 

doncherryfan wrote:
2) Almost any good bagel place for a bagel with veggie tofutti cream cheese

Yeah, I feel like this needs to be part of our NYC experience. Any recommendations?
Also, Jewish bakeries where I can get knishes?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:37 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Great knishes - http://www.yelp.com/biz/yonah-schimmels ... y-new-york

I like this place for bagels if you find yourself in Williamsburg - http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-bagel-store ... s-brooklyn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:06 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Paprikapapaya is coming to NYC? Super cool!

I visited the city a handful of times before moving here and looking back I wish I had done my trips so much differently! I think it's wise to plan out each day in a particular area of the city so that you don’t spend all your time navigating the subway and travelling around. I would say to start with the touristy stuff, because they take a lot of energy and patience and then you can end the trip on a calmer note. Maybe shopping and sightseeing in Times Square the first day and a musical or play that night; the Statue of Liberty and the downtown area the second morning and Moo Shoes/ Chinatown/ Little Italy that night; the third day I’d venture either to Brooklyn or the East Village for shopping and awesome vegan food; then the last day I’d go to Central Park and any combination of the Met, the MoMA, or the Natural History Museum since they’re all close-by. Then I’d end that day with dinner at Candle 79 since it’s uptown, too.

For hotels, I’d also advise against Times Square - though you can get some really good deals there, it’s just a lot of crowds to put up with. If you can stay in mid-town (Murray Hill, Gramercy Park, Chelsea, midtown east or west) you’ll have good access to everything. I’ve gotten good deals through the Affinia hotels in midtown before.

Hope you have a great trip! We’re here to help!

ETA: Bring comfortable shoes! You will be walking SO MUCH and you will limit yourself a lot if you only bring cute heels. If you're coming in the winter months, comfy boots are perfectly acceptable at even the nicest of restaurants.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:19 pm 

Woah, that's super helpful, thank you!

It's so early in the year to finalize plans, but I'd love to have a NYC PPKer meet-up happen while we're there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:26 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Oh man, first time in NYC! So exciting. My top spots:

Museum of Modern Art
Transit Museum
Tenement Museum (which is super-close to MooShoes and Babycakes!)
Candle 79
Lula's (keep in mind they don't open 'til 3)
Dun Well Doughnuts
Champs for brunch and pastries
Soy & Sake or Red Bamboo for dinner (you've got to get some sort of crispy chicken dish)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:34 pm 

paprikapapaya wrote:
It's so early in the year to finalize plans, but I'd love to have a NYC PPKer meet-up happen while we're there.

We're super overdue for a meet-up in NYC, so I think this would be awesome :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:42 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I prefer the Whitney to the MoMA, but it depends on what shows are up. If you want some gallery recommendations, send me a pm and I'll think of some.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:43 pm 

I'll get T. in on this conversation since he's the artist and knows his art. Yay! This is sooo far away, haha...but I was needing to book my vacation time at work soon so I got to thinking about this trip.

I'll make a post later in the year to co-ordinate with who will be in the area during that time and we can have a meetup!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:55 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

OddCoupleEats wrote:
I’ve gotten good deals through the Affinia hotels in midtown before.

that was where I stayed last time and it was great and brand new. (the one right across the street from Loving Hut in front of MSG, i think)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:33 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I second Soy and Sake. If you're a sushi lover, it's pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:38 pm 

I second the Air BnB idea. Often cheaper than hotels, and nicer for the price. And you get more of the EXPERIENCE. And there are lots of places that are right in the thick of good stuff.

And Vinnie's. Vinnie's.

And if you want the quintessential FUNYC experience, go to Trader Joe's on 14th St. at about 6:30pm on a weekday. KILL ME.

www.monsterdoodlebook.com - DRAW! MONSTERS!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:10 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Lulas, Red Bamboo (soul nuggets), The Met, Take a ride on the SI Ferry (freeeee), Walk over the Bklyn Bridge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:15 pm 

lovethybaker wrote:
Lulas, Red Bamboo (soul nuggets), The Met, Take a ride on the SI Ferry (freeeee), Walk over the Bklyn Bridge

YES. YES. YES. YES. YES.

My fav thing at red bamboo is the chicken parm. Get it with a vanilla shake and you will fly off the planet.
And, um, really, my favorite favorite thing is to eat half of it and then put the other half in the fridge for later. COLD. SO GOOD.

-------

Also, if you're going anywhere in the East Village / LES, you should probably call and make sure they're open. Those neighborhoods don't start to stir until 2 or 3pm.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:27 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

ilikeapplejuice wrote:
And if you want the quintessential FUNYC experience, go to Trader Joe's on 14th St. at about 6:30pm on a weekday. KILL ME.

shut up, this was me 9 hours ago.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:55 pm 

rachaelrayfornever wrote:
ilikeapplejuice wrote:

shut up, this was me 9 hours ago.

The trick is to shop the middle of the store first, then get in the outside line that inevitably wraps around the store and do the rest of your shopping in line. Am I right? (What little will to live I have left upon leaving the store is drained in the 14 block walk home.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:53 pm 

OddCoupleEats wrote:
The trick is to shop the middle of the store first, then get in the outside line that inevitably wraps around the store and do the rest of your shopping in line. Am I right? (What little will to live I have left upon leaving the store is drained in the 14 block walk home.)

Yeah, but since there are two lines, you gotta choose whether you want to be in line that hits the isle with the cereal and rice milk or the isle with toiletries, coffee, tea, etc. So I go down whichever isle I can go down and then get in the line that takes me to the other one. It's an art.

A lousy, terrible art.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:55 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Get yourself one of these little pocket pop-up maps. It has all of the attraction places listed, a subway map, and a fold out map of the whole city. Trust me it will be super helpful! Plus it's small, so if you take it out to use in public you wont look like a total tourist!

http://www.amazon.com/Specialty-Map-New ... 892&sr=8-4

I don't know how you feel about zoo's, but the central park zoo is pretty cool. And they have cold weather penguins that are adorable! And they have a same sex penguin couple. Squeeee, they are so cute!

Central Park is fun and pretty, especially in the fall. Soho is great for art galleries. 5th Ave. for shopping and fashion. Go to Tiffany's, its blinged out! FAO Shwartz, be a big kid and go play with toys and jump around on the big keyboard. The Oddities store (Obscura) is weird and on tv, so that's fun. Museums upon museums! You could spend all day looking at art. Wall St. Go see all of the crazy bankers! The 9/11 memorial sadly is now something to see. Time square of course, the Macys and H&M are huge! NYC China town and Italian market are great too.

I mean, really whats not to love about NYC?

I don't have any tips on food or places to stay. But I did just go to LuLu's for ice cream. Soft serve vegan cake batter is something special. Drooooollllll

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:56 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

ilikeapplejuice wrote:
My fav thing at red bamboo is the chicken parm.... eat half of it and then put the other half in the fridge for later. COLD. SO GOOD.

Yessssssssssssss! I thought I was the only one who did this.