| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NYC Spring trip advice
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:32 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

My partner & I are planning a trip to visit our really good friend who we haven't seen for several years in mid-March. He lives around Sullivan/Bleeker area and we'll be staying there. He eats meat every day, and we're not going to change that in our short trip but last time we visited we were not yet vegan, only vegetarian & it was easy to go shoot the breeze over a slice & a corona. So, I want it to be like old times as much as possible and I need to be well prepared with suggestions for places to go & eat so that being vegan doesn't seem like the most difficult and alienating thing to be.
I've thoroughly scoured all the forum & internet for vegan places - I'm really looking forward to trying some of the places on paprikapapaya's thread. But I wondered if anyone had any experiences/suggestions of places that were good for all? It sounds like Vinnie's may be really handy to know about! Asian food seems to be a favourite for my friend - do you generally find that it's quite difficult to get the fish sauce left out? Just depends I guess?
Also I wanted to stock up on some fruits & breakfast things, I know there's a supermarket nearby but I wondered if anyone knew of somewhere with better quality or maybe even organic produce to go to. Any markets maybe?
Any suggestions gratefully appreciated!

Post subject: Re: NYC Spring trip advice
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:39 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

falafel is good for all! Mamoun's is nearby and very popular (perhaps too popular). Two Boots pizza has vegan and non vegan slices. Check out the dosa truck at Washington Sq. Park.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:21 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Excellent, glad to hear the dosa man's still there, it's been years since I've been to New York! And Mamouns looks perfect too, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:17 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Oh man, you're gonna be in a great neighborhood! You HAVE TO GO TO RED BAMBOO! It is a vegan restaurant, but my omnivore husband and friends love it, it's that good. They have really good fake meat dishes - chicken parmesan, creole soul chicken, my husband likes the soy ribs a lot - along with great vegan desserts. Nothing healthy about it, but it's delicious. You'll also be near 'Snice (vegetarian with lots of vegan options) which is great for getting coffee and vegan pastries and catching up (their vegan reuben is also tasty). Also close to Gobo, which serves Asian vegan food (good scallion pancakes!).

If your friend isn't down with vegan places at all, check out Rice. They have lots of meat options, but plenty of tasty stuff for vegans, too. John's on 12th (in the East Village) is an Italian joint that has a regular menu (husband loved the spaghetti and meatballs) and a separate vegan menu (I loved the bruschetta, the pizza was just okay).

Not sure about groceries, but you won't be too far from Union Square where they have a greenmarket several days a week. Enjoy your trip, the West Village is my favorite place in Manhattan to just wander around. It's a beautiful neighborhood!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:45 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

oh yeah, snice is a good place to bring omnis to because they have sandwiches with cheese in them, but its all veg. the vegan panini is the best as is the pot pie wrap. really, everything is good, but if you get the reuben get it without sprouts because sprouts do not belong on a reuben!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:07 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

This 'reuben' of which you all speak, I only heard that name since I discovered Veganomicon & other American recipe books & it still sounds so exotic to me - I don't really know what one is, I just associate it with baroque paintings of fat ladies. Have to try...
Yeah, my friend is really lucky to live in that neighbourhood - I think he's had his apartment for about 20 years at least! I'll definitely check out Red Bamboo - it'll be tough but my friend might just go for it - and I'll google Rice & John's now. Thanks!